using "rel num"

Overpaid Union Thug

The release Number will not work on a sig required package.
It should have been obvious that I meant "No DR" stops. Those don't always require a signature. Anyone can figure out that Rel Num can't be used on packages that have the Signature Required service level. The only option is forging. No thanks.

Our instructions were clear. If the DIAD will let you DR a shipper release (including using the Rel Num Key if Override doesn't work) then we must do so whether or not an OMS tagged it as NO DR in the past. These instructions were given in front of all the drivers including the steward and alternate.

So yeah its simple.....if no signature is prompted by the DIAD then we leave it. Even if that means hitting Override or Rel Number. It was District Manger approved via our center manager and On Car and verified by the stewards in front of virtually the entire center. We are good to go.

Last edited:

Grey

Using the Rel Num soft key for a package that is not a shipper release package is called being dishonest as your saying the package was ok'd to be DR by the shipper, when in fact it wasn't..

Why does the DIAD give you a 'Release Number' if it's not supposed to be released? I'm not going down for technological failure.

oldngray

nowhere special
Why does the DIAD give you a 'Release Number' if it's not supposed to be released? I'm not going down for technological failure.

Release Numbers are carry overs from before the days of Driver Release. There is seldom a reason to use them now and usually it is for reasons other than for their original purposes. Don't get obsessed with them but don't use them to try to beat the system either.

Overpaid Union Thug

Just use it for shipper release and you'll be fine. According to our sups Shipper Release overrides No DRs that were put in place locally. And they should. If anyone has a problem with this then I'm thinking that they could play the Drivers Discretion Card and get away with it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Release Numbers are carry overs from before the days of Driver Release. There is seldom a reason to use them now and usually it is for reasons other than for their original purposes. Don't get obsessed with them but don't use them to try to beat the system either.

Damn---our whole day was based on release numbers. Legit or not.