using your seniority to not work

PT Car Washer

Service failures aren't created by having a supervisor cover for a senior hourly.

Trust me, the 18 year old sucker supervisor gets more packages thrown than I do.
I will agree there. Our PT sups work like a dog. I have to wonder where UPS is going wrong where the sups work harder than the hourlies.

wilberforce15

I will agree there. Our PT sups work like a dog. I have to wonder where UPS is going wrong where the sups work harder than the hourlies.
The sup's work doesn't count against production, even if it's grieved.
Here, a senior hourly can get great pay for the supervisor working, and the supervisor is fine. The manager gets a bonus. It's literally everyone winning. We all have a game going.

PT Car Washer

The sup's work doesn't count against production, even if it's grieved.
Here, a senior hourly can get great pay for the supervisor working, and the supervisor is fine. The manager gets a bonus. It's literally everyone winning. We all have a game going.
You are assuming there are enough PT sups to cover all of the missing hourlies. And that they don't mind being worked like a dog everyday for a couple Dollars more then an hourly. And that there is an inexhaustible supply of such fools. My hub reached the breaking point a few years ago.

wilberforce15

You are assuming there are enough PT sups to cover all of the missing hourlies. And that they don't mind being worked like a dog everyday for a couple Dollars more then an hourly. And that there is an inexhaustible supply of such fools. My hub reached the breaking point a few years ago.
There is an inexhaustible supply of such fools, and they don't mind being worked like dogs every day, or at least not enough to quit. My hub may reach a breaking point.

But not yet.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yes, you can deny extra work if there are people available below you.
they go down the list . if they can't get ahold of the bottom people they work their way back up and can force you to work.

PT Car Washer

There is an inexhaustible supply of such fools, and they don't mind being worked like dogs every day, or at least not enough to quit. My hub may reach a breaking point.

But not yet.
I guess UPS has a better sales pitch then the Teamsters. Seems to be working so far. My building just posted 5 22.3 jobs and 20 more to follow because the company can not fill PT jobs. $35/hr and a FT pension and benefits because the company wants to save money by not paying PT workers a higher wage.

govols019

You smell that?
im aware of using your seniority to get the work thats available before others...but is there anything in the southern agreement that states one can use their seniority to not work. for example: demanding to be sent home before others with less seniority... more specifically, giving a lower seniority driver your DIAD and telling them they're running you're route today and you'll be the one going home "MUAHAHAHA"

You don't tell a lower seniority driver anything...they don't work for you.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Our management and union always say seniority can't be used like that. I think they're wrong.

If there is work available and too many people to do it, the work should be "offered" in seniority order. Then, when the senior guy doesn't want it, it's the same as the right to go home.

Ask them to offer the work in seniority order, rather than asking them to go home. It's the same thing. But it sounds better.
When I worked in the hub, supervisors would say seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to go home. Most part timers, myself included at the time, don’t know the contract well enough to dispute the sups claim so we bought it. In feeders, seniority definitely gives you the right to go home before somebody junior. They know we either know our rights or will find a steward who does. So long story short, at least in the southern region, seniority gives you both the right to stay or leave but that won’t stop a part time sup from lying to you and saying it doesn’t.

PT Car Washer

When I worked in the hub, supervisors would say seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to go home. Most part timers, myself included at the time, don’t know the contract well enough to dispute the sups claim so we bought it. In feeders, seniority definitely gives you the right to go home before somebody junior. They know we either know our rights or will find a steward who does. So long story short, at least in the southern region, seniority gives you both the right to stay or leave but that won’t stop a part time sup from lying to you and saying it doesn’t.
Nobody wants to work anymore.