Vacation bids

Fullhouse

I know there are a lot of different supplements in the ups National Agreement.
This language is from the Atlantic Suplement.
"Vactions" Article 55 section 2

"Employees are to select their vacation period in the order of seniority on a center basis starting with the first full week in November and to be completed in four weeks."

So the question is this.. would this imply that a person would bid according to his or her actual hire date with the company? I ask this because it does not specifically state that a full time hire date will be used.
The current practice of bidding vacations in feeders and package car, uses the employees full time hire seniority date. As you know your vacation time is accumulated when you first become hire with no indifference between part time or full time.
I'm just asking members here for an unbiased opinion to this language. It is my opinion that center seniority is different from full time seniority.

Atlantic Supplement
Article 48 Seniorty
Section 1- General
"Seniority, as measured by length of continuous service with the company, shall prevail at all times."

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Company seniority is for the amount of vacation that can be taken and who gets what job within that classification.
Company seniority is only used for vacation and retirement purposes. Bidding on jobs and everything else uses full time seniority date. This is the day of transfer from part time to full time.

The only other exception is when laying off 22.3 employees. Then company seniority comes into play.

Fullhouse

"Employees are to select their vacation period in the order of seniority on a center basis starting with the first full week in November and to be completed in four weeks."

This statement in the contract says nothing about bidding your vacation in full time seniority order. I am well aware of bidding routes and personal holidays using full time seniority, as that is clearly defined in the contract.
We all know how the contract is vague in many areas. With that said
I tend to interpret the language as written instead of the accepted practice.
Just because it has been accepted for years a certain way doesn't make it right.
My thoughts "question everything and assume nothing." Kind of like the old Reagan philosophy "trust but verify"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

This statement in the contract says nothing about bidding your vacation in full time seniority order. I am well aware of bidding routes and personal holidays using full time seniority, as that is clearly defined in the contract.
We all know how the contract is vague in many areas. With that said
I tend to interpret the language as written instead of the accepted practice.
Just because it has been accepted for years a certain way doesn't make it right.
My thoughts "question everything and assume nothing." Kind of like the old Reagan philosophy "trust but verify"
Why ask the question if your thoughts are basically anyone who doesn't feel like I do is wrong?

Fullhouse

Just trying to get opine from people who do not have a dog in the fight. Basically members outside the Atlantic Area Suplement.
I have read some of the replies but no one has actually made or attempted to address "center seniority" without having to intertwine full time seniority.
Why can't this language can be applied without full time seniority? Is it wrong to simply imply that ""full time" seniority should be applied when the language does not include it?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just trying to get opine from people who do not have a dog in the fight. Basically members outside the Atlantic Area Suplement.
I have read some of the replies but no one has actually made or attempted to address "center seniority" without having to intertwine full time seniority.
Why can't this language can be applied without full time seniority? Is it wrong to simply imply that ""full time" seniority should be applied when the language does not include it?
Sometimes common sense overrides contract language.

Your full time vacation check is 45 hours. Therefore it goes by the full time seniority list.

There is no "center" seniority list. Only company full time and part time. When you go full time you do not dovetail into the current list. I start at the bottom.

Whatever number you are,on the seniority list. Thats when you pick.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Center seniority is full time seniority. When you go full time, your seniority date changes to the day of transfer. You get vacation and pension credit for your part time, but that original seniority date is "never" used unless the contract specifies "Company seniority." And there is only one mention of it that I am aware of.

Full timers pick by seniority. Full timers bid by seniority. Your seniority date for full time is the day of transfer from part time.

I would love to use company seniority to be able to bid and for vacation selection purposes. But that ain't never gonna happen.

Fullhouse

That's the kind of response I'm looking for. Thanks for taking the time to post and for different take on Center Seniority.