Veterans Day observance and pay

4evapreloader

JL 0513, if memory serves, we do not get paid for Veteran's Day if it falls on a weekend. What's interesting this year is the building I'm in has Saturday delivery this year.

DriverNerd

Can you blame them? Needless spending is stupid

I agree with you that most successful companies don't waste money, especially money tight ones like UPS, but UPS is about 50/50 when it comes to smart spending . They don't spend much on employees, buy new planes to help broaden international (highly profitable) business, love acquisitions, use as much automation as possible, and beat their management in to the ground while running short staffed with long hours. But they make horrible choices with technology (ORION and other failed scanning systems), don't seem to care about their customers (or their customer's customers), the turnover rate is horrible (HR and trainer staffing must be much bigger than it needs to be), buy an entire new fleet of trucks that are too narrow (while the packages get bigger and bigger) and get lower fuel economy than the ones they replace, don't care about late air, and beat their management in to the ground while running short staffed with long hours (okay, I admit that a happier supervisor is nicer to have).

Future

Victory Ride
I agree with you that most successful companies don't waste money, especially money tight ones like UPS, but UPS is about 50/50 when it comes to smart spending . They don't spend much on employees, buy new planes to help broaden international (highly profitable) business, love acquisitions, use as much automation as possible, and beat their management in to the ground while running short staffed with long hours. But they make horrible choices with technology (ORION and other failed scanning systems), don't seem to care about their customers (or their customer's customers), the turnover rate is horrible (HR and trainer staffing must be much bigger than it needs to be), buy an entire new fleet of trucks that are too narrow (while the packages get bigger and bigger) and get lower fuel economy than the ones they replace, don't care about late air, and beat their management in to the ground while running short staffed with long hours (okay, I admit that a happier supervisor is a nicer to have).
Rome is falling!

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Double time doesn't exist in my local. Advantage you this time.
giphy (23).gif

JL 0513

Columbus Day and Veterans Day has never been a paid Holiday in my Local. Just another working day with no Holiday pay. If you are a veteran you can request Veterans Day off if you ask enough time in advance but it is an unpaid day off. Where do you get this stuff?

Are you asking where do I get this stuff?

Because it is time and a half in my local plus 8 hours. Where do you think I get it?

4evapreloader

4 hours + time and a half for hours worked in the preload for the holiday in my local. Unfortunately it falls on a Saturday this year, so nothing. I will be waiting by my phone at 4AM next Sat for the possible call in .. figuratively.

DriverNerd, "they" tell us packages are getting smaller. I'm also waiting for complete disaster to strike on my shift. They insist on late preload start times. Should be fun one day when we don't finish until 10AM.

JL 0513

So I checked my timecard for today. Got paid the 8 hours holiday sitting at home today. As I said earlier in the thread, if it was on a weekday, we would have also gotten time and a half for hours worked plus the 8 hours.

At least all is not lost when it falls on the weekend. So that question is answered definitively.

PT Car Washer

So I checked my timecard for today. Got paid the 8 hours holiday sitting at home today. As I said earlier in the thread, if it was on a weekday, we would have also gotten time and a half for hours worked plus the 8 hours.

At least all is not lost when it falls on the weekend. So that question is answered definitively.
No Holiday pay here. Or time and a half for the Saturday ground drivers.