Viewpoints for new contract, what's in-store?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Heard a manager say something like do away with P/T benefits for big pay raise. He was definitely shopping it with the guys. He then told the OMS to throw it out there for everyone. They always go fishing before a Contract.
Your manager has no say or dog in the fight except when we get raises and no pay healthcare it's more than likely coming out of that scrubs benefits at some time... fact!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No deal. The only way I would agree to that is OT after 8. UPS could always turn our 5 day punch into just a 40 hour week. So at 35 an hour that's 1400. 4 10's with OT after 8 is 1540. So good job voting that garbage down.
I doubt that's why he voted it down...

P

pickup

The main reason to go to a 4 x 10 schedule is to reduce OT. Paying it after 8 defeats the purpose.

Yuppers, there are some feeder bids where the assigned run is only in operation for 4 days anyway. The other day of that drivers working week is spent doing "busy" work just to get the guy through his eight hours

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Your manager has no say or dog in the fight except when we get raises and no pay healthcare it's more than likely coming out of that scrubs benefits at some time... fact!

The managers are told to shop ideas and see how they are received. They are also told to play union against union. Get the part timers against the full timers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't understand. You mean "The main reason to go to a 4 x 10 schedule is to reduce OT" pay? If they wanted to reduce it, they can cap you at 5 8's.

It's hard to cap the majority of feeder runs at 8 hours. There are some, TDP, yard jobs, etc, but there are also many that are 10-11 hour jobs that cannot be cut to 8 without hiring a crap load of drivers.

And it is also cheaper to pay OT than it is to hire more drivers, pay their benefits, and keep everyone at 8 hours.

Yuppers, there are some feeder bids where the assigned run is only in operation for 4 days anyway. The other day of that drivers working week is spent doing "busy" work just to get the guy through his eight hours

Maybe some, but that is the exception. Most feeder jobs are 5 days.

Deal with the exceptions instead of forcing 4 10's.