Viewpoints for new contract, what's in-store?

Nike

healthcare is nonnegotiable. We're having a hell of a time keeping people at our hub, eliminating health care would kill whats left of our workforce. I think UPS would lose in the wrong run, the quality of our work force is already pretty low at this point, removing the one big incentive for part time work would effectively destroy it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

healthcare is nonnegotiable. We're having a hell of a time keeping people at our hub, eliminating health care would kill whats left of our workforce. I think UPS would lose in the wrong run, the quality of our work force is already pretty low at this point, removing the one big incentive for part time work would effectively destroy it.

It should be offered as an option for those employees who are not yet 26 as they can still be covered under their parents' plan.

anHOURover

It should be offered as an option for those employees who are not yet 26 as they can still be covered under their parents' plan.
do you think before you comment company man? You sure you didn't turn in your letter yet ? You are so companyish. You should not be able to collect your whole pension. OH that's right. The IBT messed up your pension fund so chances are you are only going to get pennies on the dollar.
FACT

km3

The company will want no medical benefits for p/t hired in the next contract in exchange for a$15/hr starting pay.

That's not even remotely worth it. UPS pays something in the area of $400/wk on my behalf for my Teamcare benefits. Regardless of how many hours I work, just so long as I clock in for at least one day every week.

$400 divided by the minimum guarantee for PTers, 17.5 hrs per week, comes out to $22.85. That is the number that would need to be added onto the existing starting rate of $10.20 (fed. minimum wage is already $0.20 higher than our contractual rate...cool).

If we lose our benefits for a starting rate of $15/hr, that would be the ultimate middle finger to PTers. The starting rate would need to be around $33.05 just for PTers to be getting the same compensation they are now. OT would likely have to be eliminated or extended to 8 hours in this scenario.

I know it's not something you're in favor of, but that would be a bold move by UPS to suggest something as asinine as that. Taking away $400/wk in benefits for a $5 raise which will be offset in many locations by the minimum wage by the time we need to negotiate a new contract.

The union will never allow PTers to monetize benefits either. I know some people were in favor of that, but Teamcare needs to be pre-funded by about 22 months...or so my BA says. The very nature of insurance policies dictates that the program is funded for those who use it, by those who don't. If those who don't use it decide to get cash instead of benefits paid on their behalf, that's less funding for Teamcare. If too many people do this, then our health plan won't last very long...

Maybe.

You can't always get, what you want.

It already is.

I'm good with that.

You can get a sticker from UPS security, to carry your phone into the facility.

Unless it's a life or death emergency;

Please tell me, you can wait.... until you're done working.... to check Facebook or text someone.

Wow.

-Bug-
Many part timers take a bus or get dropoed off. Where are they supposed to leave their cellphone?

km3

You can get a sticker from UPS security, to carry your phone into the facility.

Unless it's a life or death emergency;

Please tell me, you can wait.... until you're done working.... to check Facebook or text someone.

Wow.

-Bug-

This policy isn't even enforced everywhere. You can walk into my building with a phone, no problem. You can't walk out unless you can prove that it's already activated, though. No sticker or anything required.

I think they started allowing people to bring phones in because they were having trouble hiring people otherwise. We also have a "This is a no-smoking facility" sign. We'd lose 3/4 of our PTers if that was enforced.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
do you think before you comment company man? You sure you didn't turn in your letter yet ? You are so companyish. You should not be able to collect your whole pension. OH that's right. The IBT messed up your pension fund so chances are you are only going to get pennies on the dollar.
FACT
For someone who studies conspiracy theory, you sure as hell have no clue how a pension works do you?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This policy isn't even enforced everywhere. You can walk into my building with a phone, no problem. You can't walk out unless you can prove that it's already activated, though. No sticker or anything required.

I think they started allowing people to bring phones in because they were having trouble hiring people otherwise. We also have a "This is a no-smoking facility" sign. We'd lose 3/4 of our PTers if that was enforced.
Absolutely... when they all go to break you would think the building is on fire with the amount of smoke the smokers make....