Vintage Shipping Books

bumped

But they still have to give you time for those smart pick ups. Route I’m doing now has like 45 pick ups. 12-15 are smart pick ups. If they don’t give me time and they all have pick ups someone is screwed.

That is incorrect. If you look at the mapping on the computer the smart pickups that have nothing going out most days a week are not listed. I get the paid time by going to said stops and making sure they have nothing going out. Its the easiest stops of my day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Yep, we had the small 15 line book with carbon sheets. Had to hand write the full address on that tiny little line. Almost all were illegible, lol. No stickers because there was no tracking for ground. 6 digit stamp with shippers number and small box for hand written weight.

Any air had the tracking labels that were perforated so you'd stick your pen in the hole and remove the label. You'd hand write the time of delivery on your 50 liner...suprisingly, I NEVER had late air...lol. Then when you turned in your 50 liners at night, you'd rubber band the tracking labels in a bundle and turn them in. High tech tracking there.
Stop number 51 below 50 when you didn't want to flip the sheet.

Shiftless

Old guys story: Our Manager and Sups were trying to track down a person who found or stole shipping books and a stamp. This person they finally figured out was a male. He would travel in a about a 15 miles radius and try to catch a driver he has never seen before and say " Hey I missed my driver can you take these packages for me?" we all would sign and take the pkg's and be on our way. He had been hitting the company for if memory serves me right for free shipping for about 2 months. Always in a hurry, he always asked first if we would take them and hand them to you to put in the truck before you signed. Then he ran into me as I am stepping out of my pkg car and as I was on the last step. Mind you, I suspected this was the guy and he pulled in front of me and backed up to me as I was writing down his plate number which he did not see me doing. "Driver, I missed my my driver can you take these packages?" Sure I say, let me set my 2 pkgs down and I will sign your book. He was reluctant to do so, but he did. I took a look at the stamp number and knew this was the guy. I calmly threw his book into my open bulk head door and slam it shut!!! That's when he started screaming My Book, My Book! I calmly said its not your book anymore! He then starts telling me he is gonna beat the living something out of me and I will wish I had never been born! HUH? I'm thinking, heck I am over 6'1 200 plus pounds and coming up on being 22, your probably 50 ish in age and little, maybe 5'5, scrawny, bookworm looking physique you want to have a go it me??? I started laughing at him and I decided to step off the truck so we both could be on the same level so to speak. I really was not interested in fighting a guy over a shipping book. But being 22 and in pretty good shape I figured if does want to go there I want to be on the same ground level. Flailing his arms and shouting, while I am still calm waiting for him to move on me OUT COMES my customer out of his building and he is mad as heck at the dude for him yelling at me!!!(Back when customers and drivers were generally pretty tight) This dude is a gentle GIANT and now I have to cool him off as he was gonna probably do some serious damage to this dude. Long story told: The thief ( I kept calling him that thru out the entire conversation ) saw a cop driving by looking and he decided to jump in his car and split. Sure they wanted the stamp too! But they had his lic. plate number and they got him anyway. And I was still gainfully still employed! But had he attacked me I would have defended myself. Wouldn't have been my first street fight!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Old guys story: Our Manager and Sups were trying to track down a person who found or stole shipping books and a stamp. This person they finally figured out was a male. He would travel in a about a 15 miles radius and try to catch a driver he has never seen before and say " Hey I missed my driver can you take these packages for me?" we all would sign and take the pkg's and be on our way. He had been hitting the company for if memory serves me right for free shipping for about 2 months. Always in a hurry, he always asked first if we would take them and hand them to you to put in the truck before you signed. Then he ran into me as I am stepping out of my pkg car and as I was on the last step. Mind you, I suspected this was the guy and he pulled in front of me and backed up to me as I was writing down his plate number which he did not see me doing. "Driver, I missed my my driver can you take these packages?" Sure I say, let me set my 2 pkgs down and I will sign your book. He was reluctant to do so, but he did. I took a look at the stamp number and knew this was the guy. I calmly threw his book into my open bulk head door and slam it shut!!! That's when he started screaming My Book, My Book! I calmly said its not your book anymore! He then starts telling me he is gonna beat the living something out of me and I will wish I had never been born! HUH? I'm thinking, heck I am over 6'1 200 plus pounds and coming up on being 22, your probably 50 ish in age and little, maybe 5'5, scrawny, bookworm looking physique you want to have a go it me??? I started laughing at him and I decided to step off the truck so we both could be on the same level so to speak. I really was not interested in fighting a guy over a shipping book. But being 22 and in pretty good shape I figured if does want to go there I want to be on the same ground level. Flailing his arms and shouting, while I am still calm waiting for him to move on me OUT COMES my customer out of his building and he is mad as heck at the dude for him yelling at me!!!(Back when customers and drivers were generally pretty tight) This dude is a gentle GIANT and now I have to cool him off as he was gonna probably do some serious damage to this dude. Long story told: The thief ( I kept calling him that thru out the entire conversation ) saw a cop driving by looking and he decided to jump in his car and split. Sure they wanted the stamp too! But they had his lic. plate number and they got him anyway. And I was still gainfully still employed! But had he attacked me I would have defended myself. Wouldn't have been my first street fight!
Just one more thing...Did you run scratch Colombo?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
06F2EAC1-B888-46AA-A6C6-7D648928BEAD.jpeg

Burr, This is a better story than Beech pulling triples through 3 foot of snow!
We had a customer like that many years ago. He didn't have a stolen book but his account was always suspended for non payment and he would drive around trying to get is to take his packages but we caught on to his game and refused to take them.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Great stuff!!!