Vintage Shipping Books

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by zoomerica, Sep 25, 2019.

1. zoomerica

zoomerica New Member

I am trying to tell and show the people in shipping department about the old hand log books we use to have to use in the 80-90s prior to worldship. They can't understand how it used to be with those little tape labels you would put on the parcel and the triplicate page our driver took...

Any help from the more, um , vintage drivers would be cool...looking for pics etc.

Thanks to you all, I know all days aren't great, but there are those of us out there that view our driver as a part of our team...we take good care of ours, I know that!!

2. The original ones didn't have any sticky labels. They had 15 lines where your write out the entire address and you had a ink stamp with your shipper number that you stamped the packages with.

Then later on after DIAD came out they had shipping books with barcode stickers that you out on the packages. Very cost ineffective

3. Been In Brown Too Long

Been In Brown Too Long Ex-Package Donkey

Yep, we had the small 15 line book with carbon sheets. Had to hand write the full address on that tiny little line. Almost all were illegible, lol. No stickers because there was no tracking for ground. 6 digit stamp with shippers number and small box for hand written weight.

Any air had the tracking labels that were perforated so you'd stick your pen in the hole and remove the label. You'd hand write the time of delivery on your 50 liner...suprisingly, I NEVER had late air...lol. Then when you turned in your 50 liners at night, you'd rubber band the tracking labels in a bundle and turn them in. High tech tracking there.

4. Covemastah

Covemastah And the Reign Of Terror Continues!! Pats # 6 !!!

The pink book was used when you had a Pitney Bowes printer spit out the shipper # with the pkg ID #

5. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

I remember having to sign and write the time on every sheet at the bottom, and write a big fat zero across the page if nothing shipped that day.

6. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I still have one customer that uses the book

7. They haven't used them for a long time around here.

8. Brownslave688

You’re talking about the book with the barcodes and you have to sign and rip off the top paper to take back

9. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

@rod had a horse and an old quill pen with an ink well, he is older then us all

10. rod

rod retired and happy

I just carved it in stone

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Jkloc420

yes you did

12. I probably haven't seen one for about 10 years

13. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

I have quite a few customers that's till use the book. I encourage it, because I don't want them to go to a smart pickup. That's the easiest pickup or deliveries I get.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Brownslave688

I run 3-4 routes that have 1 customer still using them.

15. Brownslave688

Why wouldn’t you want a smart pick up?

16. Because he wants an easy stop that he has to drive to and not do any work.

17. Brownslave688

But they still have to give you time for those smart pick ups. Route I’m doing now has like 45 pick ups. 12-15 are smart pick ups. If they don’t give me time and they all have pick ups someone is screwed.

18. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

That was the first upgrade from the stone tablet and chisel?

19. Jkloc420

correct

20. retired2000

retired2000 Active Member

Also had to count how much weight went to one customer