Volume this week

MassWineGuy

We’ve had more than 7,000 pieces each day this week. The norm is around 5,000. One regular customer was genuinely appalled when I said that I couldn’t wait two minutes until their stuff was ready.

Purplepackage

We’ve had more than 7,000 pieces each day this week. The norm is around 5,000. One regular customer was genuinely appalled when I said that I couldn’t wait two minutes until their stuff was ready.

Being busy is no reason to piss of a reg, they ship with us all year, all this other :censored2: is just extra

dezguy

Being busy is no reason to piss of a reg, they ship with us all year, all this other :censored2: is just extra
While I agree, the problem with a customer asking for an extra 2 minutes, in customer language that could mean 10 minutes.

Usually, if they have the shipment there and I can see that it really is "almost ready", fine I'll give you an extra bit of time to finish it up. If it's a case of, "it's almost ready" but the label hasn't been printed and we haven't packed it, etc; sorry but you'll have to call it in when it's ready or drop it off, especially this time of year.

MassWineGuy

While I agree, the problem with a customer asking for an extra 2 minutes, in customer language that could mean 10 minutes.

Usually, if they have the shipment there and I can see that it really is "almost ready", fine I'll give you an extra bit of time to finish it up. If it's a case of, "it's almost ready" but the label hasn't been printed and we haven't packed it, etc; sorry but you'll have to call it in when it's ready or drop it off, especially this time of year.

This is pretty much my belief. This customer, who I regard as generally fine and pleasant, has a 6 pm ready time and a 7 pm close. But it’s best to show up after 6:30. I’m sure they would have liked a 6:30 ready time and 7 close, but we don’t do 30 minute windows.

There are two big reasons why I dislike waiting. First, it all adds up and I might find myself scrambling to return to the building at a reasonable time. Second, I definitely don’t want to “train” customers into thinking “Oh, he’ll wait.”

Unless it’s an inexperienced on-call customer, ready time means ready. I’m clearly not in the wrong if the customer is irritated that I can’t wait when they’re not ready by the agreed upon time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is pretty much my belief. This customer, who I regard as generally fine and pleasant, has a 6 pm ready time and a 7 pm close. But it’s best to show up after 6:30. I’m sure they would have liked a 6:30 ready time and 7 close, but we don’t do 30 minute windows.

There are two big reasons why I dislike waiting. First, it all adds up and I might find myself scrambling to return to the building at a reasonable time. Second, I definitely don’t want to “train” customers into thinking “Oh, he’ll wait.”

Unless it’s an inexperienced on-call customer, ready time means ready. I’m clearly not in the wrong if the customer is irritated that I can’t wait when they’re not ready by the agreed upon time.

Was the option there for you to make some other pickups/deliveries and swing back later?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Was the option there for you to make some other pickups/deliveries and swing back later?
You sound just like the clueless dispatchers who can't see that you already have 10 6-7:00 PUPs , with oncalls pouring in. If the customer wants a later pickup, they need to call in another pickup. Swinging by later after 7:00, you would be charged with a late PUP. The customer has a window for a reason. MWG is properly training his customers to have their shipment ready at the agreed upon time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You sound just like the clueless dispatchers who can't see that you already have 10 6-7:00 PUPs , with oncalls pouring in. If the customer wants a later pickup, they need to call in another pickup. Swinging by later after 7:00, you would be charged with a late PUP. The customer has a window for a reason. MWG is properly training his customers to have their shipment ready at the agreed upon time.

So you can't close out the pickup stop and then edit it when you come back?

MassWineGuy

Good point. I’ve done that with some stops if I had time and was staying in the area. But this customer’s close time often requires me to leave pups in more distant areas, drive like crazy to get there, then double back for my other stops. Also, we’re needed back at the station between 7:30 and 8 ideally. On calls are taken until 6:30, so that can be, but usually isn’t, a factor here.

“So you can't close out the pickup stop and then edit it when you come back?”

How do you come back to a pup once you’ve closed it? This customer would be closed when I got back.

MassWineGuy

Kind of my feeling. I can see giving an inexperienced on call some slack. But not a regular. I also have a commitment to others to get their freight in on time to get on the plane. Not here so far, but if someone clearly demonstrates that they don’t care about that, then I am REALLY out of there.

I don’t worry that my manager won’t like that I didn’t wait for something that, by contract, should have been ready much sooner. Especially with volume 1 1/2 to 2 times over average.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The customer has a window for a reason.
Kind of my feeling. I can see giving an inexperienced on call some slack. But not a regular. I also have a commitment to others to get their freight in on time to get on the plane. Not here so far, but if someone clearly demonstrates that they don’t care about that, then I am REALLY out of there.

My motto was that if it wasn't important enough of a shipment for them to have ready on time, it wasn't important enough for me to wait on it. The ones I hated were those who called in 10 minutes before cutoff with a ready PUP and an hour window. You get there 8 minutes after it's called in because you won't have any other time to get it... and they don't have it ready. Those who pulled that got the late treatment - put that stop off until the last minute because they were usually waiting around off the clock for me to come and get the PUP - until they caught on.

It's a big deal to get customers to work within the window. Those who properly train their customers rarely have issues and those who don't train them usually have issues. There are times and places for exceptions but those shouldn't be frequent.