Voting Starts Next Week! How will you vote and why.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What is wrong with it doing both?
This. Why wouldn't you want to offer time off in seniority order? Thankfully we have it written that way in our supplement.
Because the contract isn't just written to benefit the union membership???
It is also written to allow the Company run their operation efficiently and safely.

With seniority, often comes experience and knowledge.
Why should the Company be saddled with having to send home the wrong person (or nobody, if it means having the wrong guy in the wrong chair) in order to satisfy a "two-way" seniority provision???

Where I will agree with you @Jones is in the notion that the Company should want to send home the senior employee if the senior employee is agreeable, for economic reason$, but should not be locked into the practice if it puts them at a disadvantage in regards to safety, service, or production.

Last edited:

Phillip J Fry

sobbing between stops
I just attended a Union informational about our new cintract. This contract is all about the benefits for feeders drivers package car drivers and part-timers that want to become drivers. If you are a part timer and this job is just a supplement to a full-time job then VOTE NO on this contract. There is nothing in this contract for us and it seems like Union leadership doesn't give a crap. I've got 18 years with UPS. New people coming in or going to be starting out with a $2 raise but us veteran seniority employees are getting nothing we're going to get our regular $0. 70 how about UPS bump us up $2 and then give us our yearly raise. This contract is a NO go for us
lower wage than any clerk, driver, or feeder. There are no inside jobs where I work. Late jet means staying late. My 18 years have also meant WEAR and TEAR on the body, not fresh like the newbies getting a $2.00 increase . I and my fellow seniority employees DESERVE the $2.00 bump up AS WELL.
Also, some people don't want full time employment opportunities, even if that's an option at their center. Some are stay at home parents, students, self-employed, etc...

Skooney

Boggles my mind that people find it important that exercising seniority play a role in not getting paid???

I always thought the contract should be designed to protect our right to work, not our right not to work, aside from compensable time.

SMH

You would think so, right?

You would not believe how many upper seniority 22.3's complain about having to work OT. They want to go home, while the company force the lower seniority to stay.

But lots of the same high seniority people put their name on the extra work list, and expect to be called first... It's the dumbest thing ever. Our BA is my neighbor, and he complains about this exact issue ALL the time..

reginald95

I would like to know what percentage of “kids” who work here go to school... it’s not even close to the amount that worked here in the 80’s and early 90’s....

Most of the part timers are already lighting up in the parking lot when I’m pulling in to park. Eventually half will be fired for being late too often or for dishonesty.

DOK

Those 18 years have afforded you the best vacation choices, inside jobs, and the option to go home early over lower seniority guys when they start sending people home.
Boggles my mind that people find it important that exercising seniority play a role in not getting paid???

I always thought the contract should be designed to protect our right to work, not our right not to work, aside from compensable time.

SMH

Yes I agree, seems the union is pushing this as “this is great guys, we’ve tried to eliminate your overtime and possibly have some of you guys getting laid off on Mondays, with these new 22.4’s, isn’t that great?”

reginald95

Yes I agree, seems the union is pushing this as “this is great guys, we’ve tried to eliminate your overtime and possibly have some of you guys getting laid off on Mondays, with these new 22.4’s, isn’t that great?”

Monday’s will be Monday’s like always. I work in a major Metropolitan city and we have Saturday ground. The same couple of routes that were always closed before Sat ground are closed now with Sat ground.

People just like to cry wolf about being laid off, losing overtime, etc etc. The work is there for those that want the work. And hose that want to cruise can get on the 9.5 list (22.4 need not apply.)

542thruNthru

Monday’s will be Monday’s like always. I work in a major Metropolitan city and we have Saturday ground. The same couple of routes that were always closed before Sat ground are closed now with Sat ground.

People just like to cry wolf about being laid off, losing overtime, etc etc. The work is there for those that want the work. And hose that want to cruise can get on the 9.5 list (22.4 need not apply.)

Hmm I live in a top 10 major city and the routes that were out Mondays before Saturday ground have more the doubled since it started. That's just my center alone. I don't know where you live but I assure you its not the same everywhere. Plus many areas have different layoff language. So maybe you are the wolf and hope no one alerts them to you.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
287 is doing its best to inform employees of the contract and it’s issues. Off the record it seems BA’s are a no vote but it seems there’s a real internal struggle. Most of us can’t in good conscious support this contract as it’s written. We are really pushing for issues that truly effect are area. Like I said we out west need to exploit the power we do have.....economics!!!!!

dudebro

SMH
I thought about this and it's the same difference though. I have 10 employees working, I need 7 to complete the job. In theory, I ask the top seniority Teamster first if he/she wants the extra work. That Teamster has the right to say yes, or no.

I do this with the next person in line until I've offered the work to all 7 employees in seniority order who say yes.

When anyone is offered work first, in essence, they're also being offered to go home first, because they can say no. If they say no, they're also being allowed to leave first due to their seniority.

You're all correct about PTers with no other job going home after 2 hrs though. Did they even pay for gas at that point?

Last edited:

Grey

Hmm I live in a top 10 major city and the routes that were out Mondays before Saturday ground have more the doubled since it started. That's just my center alone. I don't know where you live but I assure you its not the same everywhere. Plus many areas have different layoff language. So maybe you are the wolf and hope no one alerts them to you.

Nothing like 30 pickups within an hour of eachother on Monday’s!