Wacky News

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hey, y'all !! Food Network will not be renewing Paula Deen's contract.

I guess she used racial slurs at one time in her life............so, who hasn't?? I hear black people call each other the n word all the time and in their music too.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If everyone was fired who said the "n" word in the past 20-30 years, there would be no workers in America. I think Food Network has overreacted.

Blacks say it all the time and I hear it in rap music too.

oldngray

nowhere special
Paula Dean definitely made a big mistake but if she is genuinely sorry I think she should be given another chance. Many others have done far worse and got off scot free. N word should never be used by anyone now whether white or black. Her excuse about growing up a long time ago in the South definitely not justify her saying it now, nor do I feel its right for blacks to use the N word either. If it was never heard in society that word would vanish from all use. She is correct about it having a different meaning in past though. I have family in Georgia and when I was little they would use that word to describe a black without the charged racial undertones the N word has now. Those relatives were definitely bigoted but the term black was not commonly used then in that area and was just another term for Negro. If they had said Negro then it would have had the same bigoted meaning to them. ( and yes I have bigots in my family but you don't get to choose your own relatives).

moreluck

golden ticket member
Paula Dean definitely made a big mistake but if she is genuinely sorry I think she should be given another chance. Many others have done far worse and got off scot free. N word should never be used by anyone now whether white or black. Her excuse about growing up a long time ago in the South definitely not justify her saying it now, nor do I feel its right for blacks to use the N word either. If it was never heard in society that word would vanish from all use. She is correct about it having a different meaning in past though. I have family in Georgia and when I was little they would use that word to describe a black without the charged racial undertones the N word has now. Those relatives were definitely bigoted but the term black was not commonly used then in that area and was just another term for Negro. If they had said Negro then it would have had the same bigoted meaning to them. ( and yes I have bigots in my family but you don't get to choose your own relatives).
I remember taking my dad to lunch at a Jewish Deli in Akron. The first words out of his mouth were....."damn, there's a lot of Jews in here" !!
Also, he was hard of hearing so his words were out loud and everyone could hear. I was totally embarrassed!!.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The "n" word has a totally different meaning depending upon the race of the person saying it and the culture they were raised in. She is from the South and unfortunately they still have some work to do on their racial tolerance. Food Network made the right call.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Even criminals get a 2nd chance. She said an objectionable word 20-30 years ago.............haven't we all ??

Food Network jumped the gun.....however, I will keep my eyes open for good deals on Paula Deen cookware....nice stuff!!

S

serenity now

The "n" word has a totally different meaning depending upon the race of the person saying it and the culture they were raised in. She is from the South and unfortunately they still have some work to do on their racial tolerance. Food Network made the right call.

was tolerance truly the word you meant to use:

[h=3]tol·er·ate[/h]/ˈtäləˌrāt/
Verb

1. Allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.
  2. Accept or endure (someone or something unpleasant or disliked) with forbearance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tolerance or toleration a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

moreluck

golden ticket member
In my daily life, I never hear the word anymore. I think the black community is more responsible for keeping it alive......that's just my opinion.

If it "pings" my ears when I do hear it, it means it was disappearing, but someone refuses to stop using it.

trickpony1

If everyone was fired who said the "n" word in the past 20-30 years, there would be no workers in America. I think Food Network has overreacted.

Blacks say it all the time and I hear it in rap music too.

When they use the N word to refer to themselves wouldn't it be discrimination to not allow us to use it as well?
Is it any different than "honky" and "cracker"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my daily life, I never hear the word anymore.

You live in a lily-white gated community----the words you hear are from the Hispanic workers you barely acknowledge as you make your way to the mailbox and back, desperately hoping that they don't try to speak to or, god forbid, make eye contact with you.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You are so off, Nancy Boo Boo !!!

Yes, I have a say about who lives in every one of the 300 homes in The Gallery. If you have a million, you can buy a house here......even if you are purple!!