Wait it out or...

Jondlc

So been brownie since October. All the new guys at my center were let go after peak except me and 3 other guys. Actually, there's one dude I haven't seen in a while so maybe there's only 3 of us left.

My sup told me about 2 weeks ago he needs to setup the route where im going to be training to make book because apparently I can't do it on the split route. Thing Is, I've been laidoff for the past week and a half. I don't have a penny on me and it's bugging me out. The other thing Is that I applied at MTA as a conductor trainee last July and I just got the email to go to the open house next week at UPS.

I like working for UPS. I don't mind the hours, the work, the pressure... Nothing. I'm good. But I want to work. I don't want to work only 2 days a week and then stay home until the next week. So if MTA doesn't hire me, hoping that they do, I've been wondering if I'll ever work at least 4 days a week.

Did all of you start this way? I'm also wondering if I should ask around other centers about their layoff situation and if maybe I could transfer to another center. If they're working their trainees I mean.

PT Car Washer

So been brownie since October. All the new guys at my center were let go after peak except me and 3 other guys. Actually, there's one dude I haven't seen in a while so maybe there's only 3 of us left.

My sup told me about 2 weeks ago he needs to setup the route where im going to be training to make book because apparently I can't do it on the split route. Thing Is, I've been laidoff for the past week and a half. I don't have a penny on me and it's bugging me out. The other thing Is that I applied at MTA as a conductor trainee last July and I just got the email to go to the open house next week at UPS.

I like working for UPS. I don't mind the hours, the work, the pressure... Nothing. I'm good. But I want to work. I don't want to work only 2 days a week and then stay home until the next week. So if MTA doesn't hire me, hoping that they do, I've been wondering if I'll ever work at least 4 days a week.

Did all of you start this way? I'm also wondering if I should ask around other centers about their layoff situation and if maybe I could transfer to another center. If they're working their trainees I mean.
Not everyone starts out this way. But starting right after Peak, this sounds normal. Most qualify during the Summer when vacations are the heaviest. Since you have zero seniority it would be tough to bump inside to work also. Hopefully the MTA job comes through for you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What I heard is management is working the new hires off and on, to stretch out the 30 days. They have no plan of keeping them.

Box Ox

At my center there are bid routes in separate loops that are also designated training routes. They're listed as such on bid sheets. Bid driver can get bumped by a trainee any time. See if your location has any.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Figure out which routes are the worst to cover and learn them. Running routes in the Blind is rough but sometimes it may be the only way to get you some steady work till vacations kick in

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I had to work 7 years in the building before I got the opportunity you're complaining about. I know it sucks but most people in your position would be back in the building 5 days a week making $11 an hour...

All you have to do is make it until vacations start then you should get 4-5 days the rest of the year.

Mst3k

If you want to drive go amazon, it's the best option since they will have put UPS out of business within the decade.

As for MTA, Uber will put them under by 2018. You may think that considering this that uber is a good idea but amazon with put them out of business within the decade.

The future of bleak

PT Car Washer

At my center there are bid routes in separate loops that are also designated training routes. They're listed as such on bid sheets. Bid driver can get bumped by a trainee any time. See if your location has any.
Bid driver can get bumped by someone trying to qualify? Only as long as the bid driver has another route to run.

barnyard

KTM rider
The decision is yours. If you go to the center manager and say it is either this or MTA, but you have to give me more hours, he/she is going to say, "Good luck at MTA."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bid driver can get bumped by someone trying to qualify? Only as long as the bid driver has another route to run.

Not necessarily true.

Training routes are specifically listed on the bid sheet as such so that there is no confusion by the FT driver who bid the route that he/she must vacate it for up to 30 working days as needed.

In our center, that driver would become a FT cover driver for those 30 days.

PT Car Washer

Not necessarily true.

Training routes are specifically listed on the bid sheet as such so that there is no confusion by the FT driver who bid the route that he/she must vacate it for up to 30 working days as needed.

In our center, that driver would become a FT cover driver for those 30 days.
My point was the bid driver would have another route to run. Not sitting at home because a new driver bumped him for the day.

Gear

Parts on Order
Do you actually have a chance with the MTA? Around me, any Authority job is about, who you know, not what you know. If you have a real chance with MTA, I would go that way. Since its not a business it will be way more laid backed with way less hassle and similar compensation.

The open house could just be a show, they may already have Joey's brother picked out. Political jobs.