Walk Path or Straight line?

neverskiplunch

Had a pcm not to long ago and we we're told to pull pkg car up to form straight line with front door of house or business and walk directly through yards to the delivery point. Methods taught us years ago to use drive way to walk paths. This is because it's faster to walk a straight line. Well no :censored2:. Who else out there does it this way and which do you prefer?

canon

I use walkways as long as they're not unreasonably out of the way. Yards aren't always the most level walking surface, and turning your ankle probably costs more than being safe.

rushfan

You will see in some UPS training videos, the "driver" walking on the sidewalk/path. Never cut across the lawn.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I try to get out on a curb, or a lawn, where my descent is cushioned. But in the spring, summer and fall, I use the walkway as people do not like their grass stepped on, and it can be a hidden danger, I broke an ankle in a hole once. In the winter I may walk along side a drive, or through a yard if the drive, and or walkway is iced. More traction in snow than ice.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I try to use neither. Alot of my customers will meet me at the car by the time I have their pkgs selected and sheeted---saves on my knees and ankles. Just make alot of noise and get as close to their front door as possible--unless of course I'm being time studied

lawnj315

Pull up to make a straight line between the truck and the sidewalk/driveway. Never use the lawn - it's a safety risk and can be construed as discourteous by the homeowner. For crying out loud, how much time do these idiots think they will save by instructing drivers to do this??? Surely they can find better, smarter ways to save time and money.

Channahon

Had a pcm not to long ago and we we're told to pull pkg car up to form straight line with front door of house or business and walk directly through yards to the delivery point. Methods taught us years ago to use drive way to walk paths. This is because it's faster to walk a straight line. Well no :censored2:. Who else out there does it this way and which do you prefer?

Somebody needs to challenge the nitwit who gave this PCM.

Looking out my front door, the driver would be crawling on his knees due to the slope of the front my yard to get to my front door.

Now pulling up to the driveway would make sense in suburban areas, and use the safety of the driveway to walk to the front or side door for deliveries.

disneyworld

This will all stop as soon as the first psycho sends UPS a bill saying your driver ruined my lawn.

jlphotog

You will see in some UPS training videos, the "driver" walking on the sidewalk/path. Never cut across the lawn.

When I saw that video you are talking about one of the reasons we were given to NEVER walk across someones lawn was because you never know if they have an in ground sprinkler system. It's very easy to trip over one of those.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You should always use the past of least resistance. Even when I had my time study the auditor had me use walkways and driveways at every stop.
When it snows, do you walk through the snow or do you walk on the shoveled pathways?

local804

We are all trained NOT to walk across the lawn as the poster said above for unevened ground and sprinkler head. There is one exception, the yearly OJS.

neverskiplunch

Yeah, thanks for sharing the comments folks. I always use the driveways and walkpaths. This dumba$$ supervisor was wanting to speed up our day and take the shortest walkpath instead of being safe.

helenofcalifornia

I can see it now. UPS will add 5-10 more stops per day since we have been stealing time by using an indirect path to the door instead of the direct path over grass.

raceanoncr

Yrs ago, while still in P/C, had a center manager riding with training a newbie supe (yeah, three of us in the car). The center manager was sposed to be training the supe on how to train us so it was a no-brainer for me, poor supe had horrible hangover, tho, and had to duck into cans at every building stop to hork.

Anyway, had dock shot. Lots o doors, nice day, all doors open, was only truck, er, scuse, me, CAR there. Backed in about the fifth door down (cuz that's where they wanted the stuff), walked over to the stairs, walked in the building, unloaded, walked back over to the stairs to go out to the, er, CAR.

center manager askes, "Why didn't you jump off the dock, it would have been quicker?" I gave him the same deer-in-the-headlights look that we get from them and said, "Is that what we're sposed to do?" He says, "Well, no, but it would have been quicker". I proceeded to inform him that I didn't care about being quicker, I was more concerned about my knees and back.

No more said. Let's see, he's gone, supe is gone and guess who's still here?

dillweed

Hi - After the last big snow we had I was running for a ft sup.
He stopped at a straight line to the door, I jumped out and landed thigh-deep in snow. ggrrrrr... I told him next time stop at the driveway and he did but had gotten the satisfaction of a good laugh as I crawled out of that snowdrift. dw