Walmart anti-union video leaked

JL 0513

All of them, in every industry.
Competition is good for everybody, all the way down to the consumer.

Too bad we can't have true competition because of big government.

Take a good look at today's prime example in Uber. Government (state and local) are doing everything they can to stop Uber in and effort to protect the overpriced cab companies. Everyone loves Uber. They do it better but government is already banning them in certain areas. Hillary Clinton has already attacked them.

This is what big regulations do. It only keeps the biggest businesses alive and kills the small guy.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Lost it at "most union members shop at our stores, and I hear them complain about their jobs and their union representatives".

Yes, my job sucks and my reps aren't around as much as I'd like. But my high school diploma and union card gets me 3 times more per hour what it would get me at Walmart.

EDIT: I also don't know of any self-respecting union worker that shops at Walmart on the regular.

Lost it at "most union members shop at our stores, and I hear them complain about their jobs and their union representatives".

Yes, my job sucks and my reps aren't around as much as I'd like. But my high school diploma and union card gets me 3 times more per hour what it would get me at Walmart.

EDIT: I also don't know of any self-respecting union worker that shops at Walmart on the regular.
Only go once a year.when w go to New York, no other store close by.

JL 0513

What retail establishment has a union workforce?

watdaflock?

Walmart patted themselves on the back last february by announcing upcoming raises for full time employees to $13 an hour. As an unskilled (non driving) full time Ups employee I make over double that and the $70 a month I pay in dues is made up by lunchtime on the first day of the month.
Yet new hire preloaders don't make $12.00 a hour and get charged "initiation fees" along with monthly membership fees.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Look at each of the last mass shootings... All in places that forbid carrying firearms, definitely someone to that.
We had a shooting in a store a mile away from me. Everybody and their mother here owns a gun. It has nothing to do with gun restrictions.
Finally something we agree on. if you dont like your pay, don't work for freaking wal-mart. There are other entry level jobs that pay way better, you just actually have to put effort into acquiring them.
Good thing I'm sitting down!
Then maybe they shouldn't be in business then?
Okay. We'll just fire those 1 million employees and tell them good luck.
Leftists are so compassionate but they'd like nothing more for the majority of businesses to be out of business.
Too many like the idea of government corporations like Amtrak and the USPS>
Sad, at best, isn't it? My neighbor is a 20 year Walmart employee. She's up to about $20/hr
Which is over 40,000 a year. Hardly poor in this country.

JL 0513

A very large number of food stores.

Here in the greater NYC area there are Macy's, Bloomingdales, H&M, and Modell's stores that are union shop.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/0...-better-deals-with-unions.html?referrer=&_r=0

So just expensive places that I would never go to along with most low to middle class people. Most people need to shop at big box retailers for a reason. Low prices. Coincidentally, they are not union shops.

I go to Walmart to buy a pair of Wrangler jeans for under $20. Wouldn't pay more than that. How much are jeans at Bloomingdale's?

box_beeyotch

So just expensive places that I would never go to along with most low to middle class people. Most people need to shop at big box retailers for a reason. Low prices. Coincidentally, they are not union shops.

I go to Walmart to buy a pair of Wrangler jeans for under $20. Wouldn't pay more than that. How much are jeans at Bloomingdale's?

Who makes 80k a year and is that Damn cheap?

Anthonysg0113

I deliver to both Walmart and Target both on my route. They could care less that they aren't union! I let them know UPS will be hiring, they laugh and say "I don't want to work that hard". And then I laugh.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Okay. We'll just fire those 1 million employees and tell them good luck.
Research has shown that at the local level, a Walmart opening usually causes a net loss of jobs in the local economy.
If you look at it on a larger scale, it's even worse. Their demand for low cost products from suppliers kills manufacturing jobs.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

GIF-incredulous-say-what-unbelievable-WTF-GIF.gif

Welp, all I can say is that you had better hope that UPS's customers don't start subscribing to your logic.

As a low-seniority driver, you'll be one of the first ones getting the 'ol bump if the volume ever tanked because non-union Fedex or Lasership have cheaper prices than the more expensive unionized operation UPS.

Maybe then while you're laid off you could go and peddle those $20 Wrangler jeans for Walmart.

rickyb

Why? I take pleasure in knowing that ant-union types use UPS too so it balances out. So I don't mind stopping in Walmart every once in a while. It's definitely not my favorite store. I typically avoid them for other reasons though. Not because they avoid unionizing. More so because I always seem to get in line behind that customer that has a stack of coupons and wants to write a check for the rest. And that is after having to navigate through the regular Walmart shoppers that are too dense to realize that they are blocking an entire aisle with their shopping cart while they are texting or comparing prices on their Amazon app.

The video did make at least one good point though. Why would someone want to join an organization that is actively trying to destroy the company they are being hired by or already work for? That's something I will never understand about the union's tactics. It's stupid to simultaneously push to boycott companies and want their employees to join you. LOL! Talk about counter productive.

its called a boycott or divestment and it works. divestment worked for apartheid, and its having an effect on big oil.

JL 0513

GIF-incredulous-say-what-unbelievable-WTF-GIF.gif

Welp, all I can say is that you had better hope that UPS's customers don't start subscribing to your logic.

As a low-seniority driver, you'll be one of the first ones getting the 'ol bump if the volume ever tanked because non-union Fedex or Lasership have cheaper prices than the more expensive unionized operation UPS.

Maybe then while you're laid off you could go and peddle those $20 Wrangler jeans for Walmart.

Just stating how it is. Do you always choose the most expensive option when you buy things? I highly doubt it. Most shoppers shop where they know they are getting the best deal, even wealthier people.

When a guy walks into a Mercedes dealer, they don't say, "hey, I'll just pay the sticker price on that S550". That way the salesman gets the full commission. No, he makes a deal for a lower price even if he could afford 100 S-classes.

You think Walmart and Amazon are the 2 largest retailers on the planet by accident? No, you beat everyone else's prices, you get the most customers. Simple economics.

It's a little different when you're talking about purely a service industry like shipping. UPS doesn't sell a good that and exact match can be bought elsewhere cheaper. UPS, FedEx, and USPS all operate differently. One may focus on the lowest price, while another may offer the overall best service. I worry about FedEx's lower costs like anyone. UPS needs to always try to beat them on overall service. Hopefully that keeps us going.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You think Walmart and Amazon are the 2 largest retailers on the planet by accident? No, you beat everyone else's prices, you get the most customers. Simple economics.
Talk about a massive oversimplification. Did you read the article I posted a few days ago about the cronyism of Wal-Mart corporate heads and government subsidies? If only economics and markets were as free, cut and dry as you describe.

Last edited: