wanting to quit workign as ups supervisor

T

Trickster311

you realize its still your responsibility to make service on all hot packages regardless of what they do to your staffing for that day?

You have an issue here. You failed to do something your responsible for doing. You got your job threatened for it.

You have now decided to leave UPS and go somewhere else. However the problem still exists that you did not take responsibility for doing your job.

What happens when you don't do your job at your next job? Do you blame them and leave again?

Ya, it's his fault he made the mistake, but I wonder if he takes his "issue" to another company and makes a similar mistake, they'd try to do this passive aggressive crap. UPS treats ALL of its employees like dirt - the only difference is that the hourlies have the union to stand up for them. Management is treated just as bad, but they have no one to go to bat for them. My advice for the OP is to cheat on your numbers. Missing your hots is a huge mistake, but integrity is pretty flexibly defined around here. If you can fix the numbers to look like a superstar, you might just get promoted. If you get "caught", you'll just get shifted to another building or operation. No big deal. That's how management plays the game.

feeder53

ADKtrails
The first thing that comes to mind are some of the threads that point to mgmt as the issue, here is a sup that is getting treated unfairly. I think everyone must be treated with respect and dignity union or not. And I feel that this shows we are all in the same boat........It is up to US to make this the best workplace it can be.

pretzel_man

Hey dont get me wrong i made a mistake and i gotta improve its just it seems like as a supervisor that you have no one to have your back and your all on your own and if you make one mistake its over

Then why were you not fired?

Don't get me wrong either. If you were told to "sit down, shut up", that was not appropriate or professional. Verbal abuse is not an acceptable treatment.

I've been in management for 30 years. I've worked the hub just like you and I've made many mistakes over the years.

As I've progressed in my career, my mistakes got bigger. They've been balanced by many, many more good things that I've done.

I've been reprimanded when needed, but generally I already felt bad about my mistake.

One mistake does not make it over. Its rare to be fired over a single mistake, in fact you could argue that we are too lenient with management blunders.

Management is about planning and getting work done through others. You're right, no one has you back, that's what management is.

Remember, full time management make up less than 10% of the UPS workforce. Division managers and above are less than 1%.

By the way, the real question for a supervisor in your shoes is what are you going to do different next time? What is your plan moving forward?

I'm sorry you were treated unprofessionally, but sometimes a thick skin and a good plan are a supervisors best friends.

P-Man

tieguy

Banned
Give it a rest lieguy. Almost everyone is treated in the manner in which this guy described. The fact that you support verbal abuse as a disciplinary tactic isn't really surprising and speaks volumes about your character.

yep I believe in recognizing my mistakes and fixing them not making excuses for failure. I wish the person that hired you had the same concept.

It's only a matter of time until some idiot gets transfered to your building for everything to change.

an idiot? Are youuuuuuuu transferring my way?

Personally I love when a big shot comes around with his chest puffed out and his jaw out threatening me, it opens up a few doors that I have become accustom to using over the years.

doors? you open the bathroom door and clean your self soiled shorts within?

t's the old UPS management training "the 3 keys to being a manager" -- I'm tougher than you, I did your job better than you and I'm better than you.

Missed that class. However I like the one you're teaching. When you miss service on packages deny responsibility and attack the accuser.

As for the OP, you are spot on in recognizing that your boss "going to bat for you" is just game play and nothing more.

I'm sorry Griff I never made any reference to going to bat for anyone refresh my memory. As for the orginal posters comment there is a good chance his boss actually fought to keep him. Someone to stupid to ask "duh boss what do I do with these packages" should be fired.

tieguy

Banned
Also the hots are packages that are needed to be loaded in a truck at the end of the day. They weren't on my sort asile they where at the pd i was suppost to clean up for recycles at the end of the day. The problem was i had 5 irreg cart fulls of hots and my sort manger boss was like YOU HAVE 5 MINS TO GET the hots to the correct trailers IF you do not YOU are fired....then siad on raid
COME SEE ME IN MY OFFICE WHEN you are done.......like i can possible get 5 full cart fulls of hots out in a timley manner when he made me send all my people home and ups is big as like 15 acres .....insane man

your in denial my friend. This is a test of your character. You'll either rise up and be stronger for the experience or you will run away from the demands of the job and run the rest of your life.

Average at Best

Missed that class. However I like the one you're teaching. When you miss service on packages deny responsibility and attack the accuser.

It seems like Griff and some other were pointing out the MANNER in which the OP was disciplined and not the fact that he was actually disciplined. Is it necessary to tell someone to "sit down and shut up"? Our new-ish DM started handing out booklets on "Positive Discipline" and bullying isn't one of the lessons. If the guy screwed up, let him know and let him outline the steps for how he's going to not do it again. Yelling, threatening, bullying....all it does is make people angry and resistent. Besides, if you yell too much, it loses its power. You have an adult, professional conversation with the OP about his performance. If he keeps screwing up royally and with no regard to his upper management team, then that's when you break out the raised voice and thinly veiled threats.

UPS Lifer

Unfortunately, when you read some of the threads we have on BC we are only getting one side of the story.

When there is a serious service failure investigation, you sometimes have to do a lot of leg work to get the true facts of what happened, why it happened and the root cause to help develop preventive measures to avoid this from happening in the future. It usually requires multiple levels of oversight.

We don't have all the facts (and never will!). Here are just a couple of examples of what could have transpired. I am sure Adam will refute this and I am no way suggesting that this is what actually happened. What I am suggesting is the possibilities there is more than meets the eye.

1. This could be an issue that has been a problem for Adam in the past
1A. He may have been coached, retrained and counseled previously to this incident
2. Adam may not have been cleaning the area as the operation progressed which caused 5 cart loads of packages rather than 5 packages at end of sort
3. Adam may not have communicated to his full timer that there were 5 cart loads of hots to get out
3A. The full timer may have let the employees go home because of the lack of communication

As for the office meeting....
Adam may have been confrontational with his full timer or manager and the level of intensity may have had to be raised to get him to show respect or shut his mouth and listen. You do have to understand that this meeting was a disciplinary meeting between a manager and a part time supervisor. Unless he was acting in a belligerent, confrontational or defensive way which there is no reason to tell him to shut up and sit down. At the very least he had to be talking out of turn in such a way as to cause his ability to listen to be greatly impacted.

In this type of meeting there are definite lines of authority that need to be observed and apparently, Adam was not observing these lines of authority.

As you start overturning the rocks, it really is amazing what you will uncover! Adam is telling us only what he wants us to hear nothing more.

well im on vaction right now and it seems that my area sort 2 where i work today as of monday is even more scewed up and they are wanting me to come in on vaction and i said no. i want them to understand what it feels like to runt hat sort asile with out me there. And when id o come back i wont quit now but i will just wait till i get fired and be like :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: IT or Try my best and see what happens. But is funny when you go on vaction and 1st day on vaction they already calling you back........just dosnet make since...Oh well thats ups

I guess over the weekend i was just really mad at that boss....If you heard of him his name is **** ******....pretty hard guy to deal with he been in the company for 25/30 years i think or longer. By the way i only been in his office 2 times in the last 3 years for getting in trouble so i dont scew up regulary plus im one of the few supervisors who acutally knows the 8 keys 5 keys the csa......the ojs...... and the hourly csa....and saftey work methods....but they usually fire superivors for not knownign that stuff but since they cant do that with me only thing they could get me on was hots.... And i gotta admit somtimes i would have a cocky attiude towards other superivors cuase my area is running better than theres when they always talk :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: to me...so i guess they trying to bring me down to a more humble attiutude. And its nice to be on vaction and let them other superviors run my area and have them do so poorly at it when they just was talking :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: the other day on how easy it was to run sort 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Average at Best

I guess over the weekend i was just really mad at that boss....If you heard of him his name is (blank)....pretty hard guy to deal with he been in the company for 25/30 years i think or longer.

Not a smart move, naming him on here. I'm not entirely sure you are allowed to use first and last names, and trust me, even if it is, people all over read these forums, and once someone in your district/area puts his name together with a "recently disgruntled sort aisle sup" who's been badmouthing him, he's going to know about it.

LKLND3380

Everyday around 5-5:30 all you see are supervisors running around like chickens with no heads carrying packages dragging forever bags full of smalls. So that's what they are doing, trying to get rid of these "HOT" packages. And here I always thought it was because they just liked to work, when in fact they are basically trying to save their jobs.

You say Supes are doing this??? That is hourly work and while they are saving their jobs as Supes, they are taking work away from hourly workers...:angry:

sx2700

Banned
You say Supes are doing this??? That is hourly work and while they are saving their jobs as Supes, they are taking work away from hourly workers...:angry:

I would love to see my supervisors do my work while I observed, but then the next day I'd have to hear about how bad the previous nights numbers were.:wink2: It always amazes me that the people making the rules usually don't know how to play the game.

I have to admit sometimes I was getting pretty cocky with other superivors cause they where all talking crap about how they could run sort 2 so much better than me. So today i found out that sort 2 was really screwed up and that half the employess did not want to work for the supervisor that was workign for them. my boss has already called me back into work and i told them no. I also said i am continuing to take my two week vaction so I kinda want them to feel the pain that i feel everyday trying to run it. Futhermore, i guess i wont get i be like scew it come back after vacation try harder, hope i don't mess up as much and go from there. I also as few as the supervisors do i know my csa,,,....hourly csa....ojs....and saftey work methods...8 keys and 5keys....most superviors do not know....and so thats why they got me on the hot thing... Was probably cause i was disrespectful at one point in time and set me up to fail to teach me a lesson. But thats how ups works. I was just really mad at **** ******this weekend and he has been at the company 25/30 years or longer i believe. But like now instead of qutiting ups im gonna work 2 jobs and have something to fall back on so i dont have to worry about bills.

P.S. i called one of my supervisor friends up at work today as of monday the sort asile 2 has been scwed up all day and has had many complaints as me not being there to help them. Also that they probably not goning to allow me to take my full 2 weeks vacation and may only alow me to take one week and schduel the other one at a later time/which is scerwed up if they do that....cause diddn they just wanna fire me ...so whats the big deal...Oh well....thats ups....Like tieguy said You learn to deal with it move on and have a more humble attitude when i go in. and next time i wont make the same mistake twice

Last edited by a moderator:
oh well didnt know you coudnt' use first and last names on here haha.... and i wasn't bad mouthing him just pointing out what they did to me. i usually never talk on forums just happen to find this one the other day rofl

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
oh well didnt know you coudnt' use first and last names on here haha.... and i wasn't bad mouthing him just pointing out what they did to me. i usually never talk on forums just happen to find this one the other day rofl

adamsups2000,
Please try to refrain from posting actual names. They have to be deleted. Would you want someone to post yours? While members are somewhat anonymous, the owner of this site is not. She does not like getting calls from lawyers, it has happened before.

Braveheart

At least 8 management people in our area have quit in the last 16 months. They were pert time, full time, am, pm, on roads, and even 3 center managers. I talked to some of them and the consistant thing was all the stress and micromanaging by upper management. One guy who left was a company guy through and through. This guy would sell his grandma for a promotion. He told me he did what upper managers told him to do and then when it backfired they turned their backs on him like it was all his idea. We all used to be proud of UPS and then little by little we were betrayed one by one.

rod

Retired 22 years
Adam I hate to say this but I've got a feeling you should spend the rest of your vacation checking out new jobs. Your boss isn't going to be real thrilled about you posting his name here. You said he's a "pretty hard guy to deal with" --- wait til you get back- you ain't seen nothin yet.