Warning!

sx2700

Banned
Not that I am condoning Tyler's actions..... But I am beginning to doubt that the average user here knows what a gimmick is or how it works. Also, most have definitely not watched Fight Club.

I think it's stupid. If the guy wants to be a troll there are a lot better ways to do it. Like this: Republicans are all idiots and we are headed towards being a 3rd world country because of them. That'll get the masses fired up more than some idiotic cryptic message that doesn't make any sense.

atatbl

I think it's stupid. If the guy wants to be a troll there are a lot better ways to do it. Like this: Republicans are all idiots and we are headed towards being a 3rd world country because of them. That'll get the masses fired up more than some idiotic cryptic message that doesn't make any sense.

no no no.... that's a troll, not a gimmick. A gimmick is what the word means. He/she takes a persona and goes with it. It isn't always to upset people. For example (and I know this is not the case and I mean no offense to him, but he is outspoken so it proves my point) Tieguy could be someone's gimmick. Maybe even a staunch union member's gimmick. He would come on here and present managements side to everything. You see? It is up to moderators to stop one individual from possessing several accounts (if they so choose). Some forums don't care, others are VERY serious about it. They just have to check IPs more often to figure it out. Even with dynamic IPs that most people have now (even if they don't know it) it is not that hard to piece together someone's gimmick.

sx2700

Banned
no no no.... that's a troll, not a gimmick. A gimmick is what the word means. He/she takes a persona and goes with it. It isn't always to upset people. For example (and I know this is not the case and I mean no offense to him, but he is outspoken so it proves my point) Tieguy could be someone's gimmick. Maybe even a staunch union member's gimmick. He would come on here and present managements side to everything. You see? It is up to moderators to stop one individual from possessing several accounts (if they so choose). Some forums don't care, others are VERY serious about it. They just have to check IPs more often to figure it out. Even with dynamic IPs that most people have now (even if they don't know it) it is not that hard to piece together someone's gimmick.

Okay, I got you now. I've actually done that on other sites.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We do not like people with multiple accounts, that indicates troll-like behavior and they will get banned. We don't look for multiple accounts. Some people have them only because they forget their login number so they create another one. As long as they behave themselves, it doesn't raise any flags. Checking ISPs? It is very easy to set up different e-mail accounts where different ISP numbers show. We basically are on the watch for Users insulting other members and spam.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I still can't figure out the "excessive shopping and masturbation". Tyler, do you get a lot of sexy catalogues or are we talking internet shopping? And please define excesive (not shopping)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You sure about that?

I have several e-mail accounts. For example, my main home account is with BellSouth and I have one with Yahoo. The ISP numbers are different because all they are is the routing address for the nearest Server that my computer connects to. For example, if I were to look up mine on www.Whois.com, all I would get is the street address for the BellSouth facility located about 40 miles away from my house. The ISP issue is overblown on this site. The moderators do not see them when we look at your Profile page or Who's Online. We really do not care about who someone is. As long as people behave themselves, there shouldn't be any problems. This site is anonymous, just look at the IS Forums. These are the technical folks that work for UPS and look at what some of them post about their managers.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I still can't figure out the "excessive shopping and masturbation". Tyler, do you get a lot of sexy catalogues or are we talking internet shopping? And please define excesive (not shopping)
Theres the ticket! Why didnt i think of using catalogues? I have been without my computer for a couple of weeks due to a little virus i caught on some other ENTERTAINMENT sites i visited just once.

The wife is still very upset and im now operating with parental locks and her breathing over my shoulder.

She should be lucky that i didnt give her a virus! lol

Mike Hawk

I have several e-mail accounts. For example, my main home account is with BellSouth and I have one with Yahoo. The ISP numbers are different because all they are is the routing address for the nearest Server that my computer connects to. For example, if I were to look up mine on www.Whois.com, all I would get is the street address for the BellSouth facility located about 40 miles away from my house. The ISP issue is overblown on this site. The moderators do not see them when we look at your Profile page or Who's Online. We really do not care about who someone is. As long as people behave themselves, there shouldn't be any problems. This site is anonymous, just look at the IS Forums. These are the technical folks that work for UPS and look at what some of them post.
Every time you look at the site the IP address of the computer you are using is visible to the site you look at, if it didn't know your IP it couldn’t send you information and you couldn't view the site. I have been on other forums where IP's were used to identify multi account posters and ban them, or just ban :censored2: bags.

kene1024

Every time you look at the site the IP address of the computer you are using is visible to the site you look at, if it didn't know your IP it couldn’t send you information and you couldn't view the site. I have been on other forums where IP's were used to identify multi account posters and ban them, or just ban :censored2: bags.

This is correct. The server logs for this site could contain the IP address of your computer (assuming the server was configured to log it). While this, in itself, isn't enough to identify you, your ISP knows who has that address at any given time and, if subpoenaed, they would possibly have to provide it. That's how the RIAA is identifying (and suing) people who share mp3 files.

You are never completely anonymous on the internet. I work in OS engineering for a large computer manufacturer, and I know how TCP/IP works under the hood...

local804

Gotchya Scratch,
I was under the assumption that your isp at your house is the same number no matter what email service you use. For example, I use Fios, so no matter what site I log onto or even if I use MSN, it will still show my original isp. I guess there is a way around everything as long as someone want to be a peepee.

Mike Hawk

Gotchya Scratch,
I was under the assumption that your isp at your house is the same number no matter what email service you use. For example, I use Fios, so no matter what site I log onto or even if I use MSN, it will still show my original isp. I guess there is a way around everything as long as someone want to be a peepee.
ISP=internet service provider, Comcast, Verizon, etc.
IP address (or just IP) =internet protocol address, your "street address" of the internet, without one information can't be sent to your computer.
Email has nothing to do with your IP, it's either a program on your computer that sends messages to other email addresses, or a website that does that.