Was EDD Forced Like Orion

Cementups

Box Monkey
Easy. Run a rural route backwards after air and a few businesses, and your trace goes in the toilet.

My boss was being a d1k one day about me running my EDD is trace and I said, "How about after I deliver my air I start all over and run all my deliveries alphabetically by customers last names? Will that solve the problem? No?!?! Ok, then. Get off my back." Nothing was ever said again.

And I have threatened to run it completely backwards just to be an ass as well. They didn't like that idea either.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My boss was being a d1k one day about me running my EDD is trace and I said, "How about after I deliver my air I start all over and run all my deliveries alphabetically by customers last names? Will that solve the problem? No?!?! Ok, then. Get off my back." Nothing was ever said again.

And I have threatened to run it completely backwards just to be an ass as well. They didn't like that idea either.

The funny thing is, when I ran that route backwards, I was done earlier and with less miles. As a result, I didn't make a habit of it.;)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Orion and my recent surgery had little to do with the decision. I am just finding it much more difficult to get motivated to go to work each and every day.

I work very little to no OT but will still have to make some minor adjustments to ensure that my take home pay stays about where it is now.

I have two years left before I am eligible to retire. My hope is that I will like this job to the point where I will work beyond my retirement date and that the adjustments to our pension, if any, will be minimal. Time will tell.
Please tell what ruined your motivation?

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
What was before EDD?
You would have to keep in mind your next 5-7 stops at all times. When you arrived at your stop you needed to verify the address for your next stop. Then when your current stop was completed you'd type in all the info for the next stop while walking back to the truck. The learning curve was steep for utility drivers, but back then all drivers had a profound mastery of area knowledge and address # breaks.

CanGuy

You would have to keep in mind your next 5-7 stops at all times. When you arrived at your stop you needed to verify the address for your next stop. Then when your current stop was completed you'd type in all the info for the next stop while walking back to the truck. The learning curve was steep for utility drivers, but back then all drivers had a profound mastery of area knowledge and address # breaks.

That's how we do it here. It's easy to me because I know my city like the back of my hand. I constantly have my next 10 stops in my head and switch the order up if I need too.

However new drivers get very stressed out and we have a high very high turnover

Cementups

Box Monkey
That's how we do it here. It's easy to me because I know my city like the back of my hand. I constantly have my next 10 stops in my head and switch the order up if I need too.

However new drivers get very stressed out and we have a high very high turnover

your turnover problem is probably more related to people not knowing how to get around by themselves. Everyone has a GPS of some sort now so people get lost easily. Hand a kid a map now and they will look at you completely lost. It's becoming a lost art.
My last three routes are areas that grew up 30 minutes away from so I had no knowledge whatsoever of them. But after running each only a week or two, I know the streets better than most of the locals. But that's old school. Newer drivers seem to need to have a device to tell you where to go. Pathetic.

CanGuy

your turnover problem is probably more related to people not knowing how to get around by themselves. Everyone has a GPS of some sort now so people get lost easily. Hand a kid a map now and they will look at you completely lost. It's becoming a lost art.
My last three routes are areas that grew up 30 minutes away from so I had no knowledge whatsoever of them. But after running each only a week or two, I know the streets better than most of the locals. But that's old school. Newer drivers seem to need to have a device to tell you where to go. Pathetic.

That's true. Had to help a kid today his phone was almost dead and he can't read his map! Unbelievable!

I remember following the Edd 100% and going out with a stop count in the low 50's to mid 60's on a bad day. I was eventually instructed per a division manager to stop. I called corporate along with the local union and it turned into a federal emergency. Edd started out with a 90% trace and went by the waysides. For those that don't forget the beginning and that this is ups'S bed now. Let them lie in it.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I remember following the Edd 100% and going out with a stop count in the low 50's to mid 60's on a bad day. I was eventually instructed per a division manager to stop. I called corporate along with the local union and it turned into a federal emergency. Edd started out with a 90% trace and went by the waysides. For those that don't forget the beginning and that this is ups'S bed now. Let them lie in it.
Good post lead. If they want compliance. Give it to them 100%

They wanted your percent on trace to be high with EDD. That was linked to the DOL so if your DOL was messed up then your trace would be bad. They could only adjust things so much though so a really bad loop would always be messed up. They only wanted the numbers to look better on a report so if your % was bad they would shut up about it as long as you got everything delivered.
We were one of the first centers to get EDD. (Near headquarters) I was told to run 100% trace and was threatened by my center manager if I didn't sign something saying I would do it. I just told him if I sign it then I would do it and he wouldn't like the result. I did. 3 months later they had to sign a document releasing me from running "trace" saying I could run the route "the best way I knew how. Problem solved.

I believe you ... I only run in the 40s now. Can't wait to implement Orion. We are getting it as we speak. The first guy in our center that they rode with was an hour over the Orion time by the time they got to their fourth stop. He said " do you not speed to make up time" haha. This is gonna be fun

Rack em

Made the Podium

When our center first got edd one driver who covers a lot of extended routes didnt follow it very well because he knew how to run the route the best way. But management kept hounding him on trace % so one day he pre recorded every stop, ran it how he wanted, and stop completed everything when he got back to the center that night. He said they didnt bother him again about trace % after that

By The Book

When our center first got edd one driver who covers a lot of extended routes didnt follow it very well because he knew how to run the route the best way. But management kept hounding him on trace % so one day he pre recorded every stop, ran it how he wanted, and stop completed everything when he got back to the center that night. He said they didnt bother him again about trace % after that
His trace% would be very good....yes?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

I'd just run it however but not do the prerecord thing. If they want to be nasty they can say he's falsifying records. If you're not at the stop when you sheet and complete you're taking a risk far higher than non compliance of Orion trace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'd just run it however but not do the prerecord thing. If they want to be nasty they can say he's falsifying records. If you're not at the stop when you sheet and complete you're taking a risk far higher than non compliance of Orion trace.

I noticed the other day that the Orion upgrade requires that you get a signature if you are attempting a delivery away from the consignee address. I was delivering to a local plumbing supply store and saw a local contractor that I knew had a delivery for his house. When I tried to DR the package it would not let me close out the stop until I got a signature for the package.

By The Book

I noticed the other day that the Orion upgrade requires that you get a signature if you are attempting a delivery away from the consignee address. I was delivering to a local plumbing supply store and saw a local contractor that I knew had a delivery for his house. When I tried to DR the package it would not let me close out the stop until I got a signature for the package.
That's been in place awhile. Anytime you deliver to a location other than the original address, you get a signature......after checking ID of course.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's been in place awhile. Anytime you deliver to a location other than the original address, you get a signature......after checking ID of course.

That has always been the method but it is only with the recent upgrade that Orion will not allow you to DR it if you are away from the original address.