Washington Post Slam

tieguy

Banned
Fedex and UPS shouldn't be on the same level. Fedex's business when regulated and still true operates mainly by aircraft. Really we want trucking regulations on aircraft?

we'll take the aircraft regulations.

Point is we offer and compete with the same exact product offerings.

UPS is working hard to compete in the overnight and international market.

while fdx is expanding into the ground.

Since we do the same exact thing then we should be governed by the same regulations.

I wouldn't be opposed to Fdx keeping their airline designation if they decided to get out of ground and freight.

Walkins

UPS is 70% or better ground, and fex ex is not. The two should not be governed by the same regulatory board. I like to both fly and drive and want professionals governing the appropriate industry so I am safe doing both. Also UPS wouldn't have to worry about union workers going on strike if they did what they were suppose to do. However, they are too busy complaining instead of looking for new business opportunities.

Dustyroads

Every one of FedEx's packages in their express system is delivered by a truck. They don't have any stewardesses on their airline. The real salient question here is why don't fedex express drivers have the right to organize a union companywide? I challenge any of you who are opposing the change in status to explain a reason why those drivers don't have the right to organize nationally. Explain why this particular group of Americans does not have that right that the rest of us do.

When the tailgate drops, the bull**** stops.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
UPS is 70% or better ground, and fex ex is not. The two should not be governed by the same regulatory board. I like to both fly and drive and want professionals governing the appropriate industry so I am safe doing both. Also UPS wouldn't have to worry about union workers going on strike if they did what they were suppose to do. However, they are too busy complaining instead of looking for new business opportunities.

See, now, your problem is that you have brought reality into the mix. You will soon learn that reality does not fit in to this argument - you must be rabidly for, or rabidly opposed to this, for no salient reason whatsoever. Only then will you be allowed to post more than once on the subject before being slammed.

Walkins

Yep, in their express system which is not a large part of their business. I just wish someone would read the whole bill that is about to pass and stop concerning theirselves with the small details that will only put money in their pockets short term. Think about the big picture people!!!

Dustyroads

This is all about the right of the workers to organize companywide. I still have not heard any reason from you, Mr. Watkins, why those workers should not have that right. I have a good friend who drives for them, can you explain why they should not have the fundamental right to organize with other workers across the country who are doing the same job for the same company?

Walkins

If they wanted to be in a unionized business then why go to a company who is regulated by the FAA? That is why they can not be part of a union.

So the answer is to have a company that operates a lot of aircraft to be governed by truckers? Truckers get into wrecks all the time, do we want aircraft plummeting out of the sky?

Dustyroads

Check your facts, Mr. Watkins, pilots are union members, and certainly they are regulated by the FAA. You fail to answer my question, why do you believe that those individuals do not have the right to orgainze together to bargain collectively with their common employer for decent working conditions, treatment and wages?

Walkins

I guess then UPS shouldn't have brain washed it employees to write letters to their law makers, they should have asked Fed Ex employees. Which I am not hearing a lot of the fed ex employees complaining about fed ex fighting against new regulations.

klein

Für Meno :)
Every one of FedEx's packages in their express system is delivered by a truck. They don't have any stewardesses on their airline. The real salient question here is why don't fedex express drivers have the right to organize a union companywide? I challenge any of you who are opposing the change in status to explain a reason why those drivers don't have the right to organize nationally. Explain why this particular group of Americans does not have that right that the rest of us do.

When the tailgate drops, the bull**** stops.

Fedex express drivers do have the right to unionize (like DHL express has done). It's Fedex ground that is in talk here, as they are independant contractors to Fedex.

Dustyroads

No, Klein, this is not about the issue of Fedex Ground. That is a very separate issue where, again, Fedex has attempted to circumvent labor law, designating their workers in this division as independent contractors. The National Labor Relations Board has ruled that those workers are, in fact, employees, because of the degree of control that Fedex has over them.

The issue of the letter writing campaign is about the regulations that prohibit a national organization of their express workers.

Walkins

Check your facts, Mr. Watkins, pilots are union members, and certainly they are regulated by the FAA. You fail to answer my question, why do you believe that those individuals do not have the right to orgainze together to bargain collectively with their common employer for decent working conditions, treatment and wages?

I didn't fail to answer, I just did not know I had to spell it out. Tell your friend to get another job if he isn't happy.....age-old rule!

Since the FAA regulates them they would need every state to sign on to the union and they can not get that. Possibly not everyone wants to be unionized. The ones that do.....should go work for UPS!

tieguy

Banned

We each have a niche in our core business. the issue is real simple.

We compete for the same packages every day.

we should therfore be subjected to the same regulations every day.

Dustyroads

The fundamental issue is that Fedex doesn't believe that their workers should be able to bargain collectively. They have structured their business to try to fall through the cracks and loopholes of the labor laws. That is why they have been beseiged in court by their own workers, challenging their status as independent contractors and demanding their rights as workers. It's your very own Fedex brothers that have challanged this Fedex business model.

You suggest that my friend at Fedex simply go elsewhere. Maybe he believes he has the very same right to organize with other fedex drivers and ask for fair treatment. If you don't want to join with him ( I assume you are a fedex employee ) then you don't need to. But those who do, who are you to say they have no right to collectively bargain?

tieguy

Banned
I guess then UPS shouldn't have brain washed it employees to write letters to their law makers, they should have asked Fed Ex employees. Which I am not hearing a lot of the fed ex employees complaining about fed ex fighting against new regulations.

Mr. Walkins since you're on a pro UPS website making a pro Fdx argument could you at least give us the courtesy of giving us your background and why you are here making this lame argument?

Last edited:

BLACKBALLED

Tell me why threatning employees is not forcing them to write them and then saying I will remember those that did not, nost wrote them to stay off the blacklist.

Dustyroads

All of the battles in court and before the National Labor Relations Board which have been brought against the Fedex independent contractor model for their ground business have been filed by Fedex and former Fedex workers. Anyone else would have no standing.