Wasn't going to post this

Overpaid Union Thug

Are you like trying to teach me something? If you are comparing a Jack Russell bite to German Shepherd bite, you're off your rocker.

I've been bit. It does hurt. Never said it doesn't. I've been bit quite a few times in my life.

I drive too. I've been in those situations as well. I knew my opinion would be unpopular. I think using your diad as a weapon against a vicious dog is a great idea.

With a dog that size, a nice kick would have been good enough.

And I'm not saying the driver should be disciplined. He shouldn't. People react differently. All I'm saying is in my opinion it was excessive.

We don't always have time to assess the size and potential bite of a dog. That guy clearly didn't either. So he obviously didn't have time to worry about whether or not his reaction was "excessive." I've had to kick, punch, shove, back heel, and take a swipe at dogs with the DIAD to avoid getting bitten and/or scratched all to hell. In some of those cases I had time to assess the dogs but they still came after me. Screw the dogs and the owners too.

bbsam

Staff member
Better question is how would this play out with the general public if it became yahoo front page news?
probably not badly at all. Any service personnel who has to go to residential property would understand completely and chime in. That includes police, firefighters, animal control, mail people, FedEx drivers, meter readers, paper boys, etc. The homeowner is being irrational.

kingOFchester

probably not badly at all. Any service personnel who has to go to residential property would understand completely and chime in. That includes police, firefighters, animal control, mail people, FedEx drivers, meter readers, paper boys, etc. The homeowner is being irrational.

I agree.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
All they got to bite is in the wrong spot, and you are out for a while(Achilles).

Or, just as likely (for big clumsy guys like me at least) is that you fall hard on your ass or twist/sprain/break an ankle or knee in the process of trying to fend the thing off or while kicking at it. I am not particularly graceful and when I fall, I fall hard and it hurts.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Rather than discuss potential UPS P.R. problems, why not address the dog owners responsibilities in this event?

First, as a veteran of 25 years, I have been bitten three times and seriously injured in another incident trying to flee a dog let out a side door in a yard.

We as drivers see all kinds of dogs on our routes. We know the ones that just love us, we know the ones that wait for us to get a cookie when we arrive. We know, that in a circumstance, where is dog is always going to be present, we make every attempt to "pack in" with the dog so we are not a threat to that dog when we arrive.

However, with residential dogs, its a different subject altogether. We cant get close to all dogs in homes. Especially the "bob barkers" behind a closed door scratching the crap out of the other side.

We learn to know our "dogs" and yards. Additionally, we learn to know the owners as well. We know the ones who understand what an agitated state is with a dog, and will take action to quiet the dog. For other dog owners, they relish in the barking and running and jumping the dog goes through when they see someone coming to the door.

These dog owners enjoy the frenzy they see as the dog completely becomes aggitated. These are the ones who come to the door with the:

"he wont bite"
"he's just a puppy"
"he thinks he's a pit bull"
"he just wants to lick you"

As if any of these owners had occupation of the dogs mind. What they dont realize is pack mentality. WE as drivers are NOT in their pack, and while the dog may seem playful and loving within their packs, "WE" are strangers regardless of how many packages we deliver.

How many of you have walked up to a door only to hear endless barking, scratching, window hopping and fights between dogs in the home because of the agitated state?

Dogs can become so agitated, they will attack each other behind a closed door when we approach.

In this case, its pretty clear, our brother driver acted in self defense. Before the dog comes into screen, he hears it, he clearly begins a defensive posture by arching his back and widening his arms and placing the diad into his hands.

The dog approaches at a gallop with HIS HEAD DOWN and teeth showing and he does not retreat when the driver takes up a defensive position. The dog is low to the ground, which is the attack position for the jack russell. It knows how to attack a taller animal and prevent a counter attack. This is why the head is down.

Dogs arent stupid. Owners are.

The dog makes his first charge and is met by a defensive strike by the driver, the driver makes contact, and rather than retreating, the dog re-establishes his footing and counter strikes again, with his head down and teeth showing.

The driver makes a second strike and its unclear if he made contact or not.

Regardless, the dog yelping is the result of its own actions. The bigger dog won on that day.

I have personally done worse to an attacking dog and this incident is only ONE of countless incidents that has occurred under similar circumstances in the ups delivery world.

We had a driver who had half his cheek ripped off by a dog that "didnt bite" and "he's never done that before".

Nothing but excuses from the dog owners.

Take responsibility for the poor training of this dog. Take ownership of the fact that they let the dog loose and unrestrained to approach a driver who has every right to stand his ground and defend himself.

There is nothing that says a person has to "meet and greet" any dog when coming onto anyone's property.

A dog owner is just like a parent. They have to be the ones who make the decisions whats good and not good for their children.

PACK mentality overrules the cuteness of any dog, and when a dog believes he is defending his pack, he will bite anyone he comes into contact with.

Its clear that this dog was the aggressor in this incident. Our brother driver was moving backwards the whole time during the incident. Our brother driver took every step in attempting to broadcast a defensive position to this dog and the dog was not responding.

The larger point I would like to make on this case is simple. Watching a soundless video doesnt tell us the whole story.

The one element that changes the whole dynamic of the event is SOUND.

We DONT KNOW what if anything the driver was yelling at the dog or the owners to stop this attack.

We DONT KNOW how loud the dog was barking as he ran towards the driver.

We DONT KNOW if the dog was snarling as he ran towards the driver.

SOUND/AUDIO would clearly define the dogs intentions despite this dog owners "downplaying" of this event as a "MEET AND GREET".

These are horrible dog owners. They are the worse kind. They keep an animal that becomes agitated at the sound of anyone approaching the door and they do nothing to stop it.

Jack Russells can be bark-a-holics behind a door and I am sure each and everyone of you has encountered such an animal.

Its unfortunate that this dog became permanently injured, but the driver didnt set out that day to cause this injury.

Our driver is simply doing his job, having to enter a property with a "bob barker" and owners who could care less about the state of mind of the dog they helped to create.

What if it was the other way around?

What if that dog bit our driver seriously? Would they simply open their pocket books and compensate our driver for not only his medical bills, but for lost time, lost wages, pain and suffering? Would they start a facebook page to apologize to our driver for those injuries suffered along with a blank check to cover everything?

Of course not.

What you have here is a couple of people who live in denial.

DENIAL that they did anything wrong in the first place. Thats where this all started, and thats where its ending.

They created this little monster and they will have to pay for it, or should I say, MAX will pay for it by being blind in one eye.

The only additional thing I would like to add, is that I could only wish SOBERUPS was the delivery guy so he could have shot it with one of his beloved steel courage sidekicks. (sarcasm)

TOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManInBrown

That's why I don't mess with dogs. If I have any inkling there is a loose dog on property or I see him roaming the property, it's an automatic DR location mailbox in board. If I'm questioned later because of a customer complaint, as to why I left it at the mailbox it's the same response every time. "I was in fear for my safety"

If it's a non DR pkg I lay on the horn. If no one comes outside its an automatic NI1 with an info notice stuck on the mailbox.

porkwagon

Showed the video to my wife and she promptly said,"If this doosh spent half the time training his dog as he did making this stupid video, his dog would be fine." She cracks me up!

Overpaid Union Thug

Again I'd like to recommend that everyone contact this guy (link is on the site) and leave your thoughts and experiences on the matter. It may not seem important to some but even more bad press can affect UPSers negatively. And I think most of us can agree that this bad press isn't warranted. Maybe the :censored2: will end up taking it down.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I could be off base here but that owner seems to have a creepy, lip-licking kind of an agenda. Making a high definition movie, wearing his Sunday's worst, etc. What a weirdo, seriously.
Agreed...and I love how he spoke about having different security camera angles that captured the incident, but didn't show them in his video.

iruhnman630

The driver should've immediately explained to the owners what happened and why he swung at the dog. On that, I actually agree with the customer.

He had every right to defend himself.