We are ready!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the past I would do that as well,but with routes being cut and idiot dispatches every day I had ZERO problems last week cutting my helper loose after 2 hours as instructed and working 13 hours with 36 missed stops one day,and 42 missed the next. Of course the next mornings when asked about my "performance" I was told: But you had a HELPER!!!"

So you screwed those 36 and 42 customers, respectively, just to prove a point? What you should have done is kept your helper beyond the 2 hours, which would have allowed you to make service on all of your packages.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

So you screwed those 36 and 42 customers, respectively, just to prove a point? What you should have done is kept your helper beyond the 2 hours, which would have allowed you to make service on all of your packages.
Here we are not allowed to keep helpers......drivers tried that and were told you are not allowed to keep helpers past the time we tell you if you do you will be disciples for not working as instructed......we had 5 drivers that had missed pieces and 2 14 hr rule violations.......but all the helpers were off the clock in 3 hrs

S

selfcancelsignal

2 hours is helper abuse. Half of them will quit if they keep showing up for work and only get 2 hours at minimum wage. In the past when I had a helper, I would just ignore the time limuts and keep them on for as long as I needed them.
I can see on rural routes the company only wanting you to use a helper in smaller towns/sub divisions for maybe a few hours a day, but guys & gals delivering in urban areas should have a helper for their whole shift. & stop with the "we need such & such stops to come out of the helper board". This is the garbage that contributes to the process being slowed down & less efficient. Oh that's right, Atlanta doesn't give a :censored2:.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Here we are not allowed to keep helpers......drivers tried that and were told you are not allowed to keep helpers past the time we tell you if you do you will be disciples for not working as instructed......we had 5 drivers that had missed pieces and 2 14 hr rule violations.......but all the helpers were off the clock in 3 hrs
In 20+ years of having a peak helper, I have never once obeyed a management directive to have them off the clock in under 3 hours. Other than occasionally having to listen to a supervisor whine and bitch about how I looked on some report, I have never been disciplined or even threatened with discipline. Management at this point is just going thru the motions and reading from a script, they are working 15 hours days and don't have time to go thru any sort of disciplinary process over irrelevant infractions.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
FAR smarter people than I get paid to make decisions ,I work as directed. My Management team screwed the customers with Poor Decision Making. I should have added that both days informed the Center I would have missed pieces by cutting the helper loose after 2 hours and both times I was instructed to work as directed.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In 20+ years of having a peak helper, I have never once obeyed a management directive to have them off the clock in under 3 hours. Other than occasionally having to listen to a supervisor whine and bitch about how I looked on some report, I have never been disciplined or even threatened with discipline. Management at this point is just going thru the motions and reading from a script, they are working 15 hours days and don't have time to go thru any sort of disciplinary process over irrelevant infractions.
I have always had the same mindset but this year management is hell bent to cut routes and load up the remaining routes albeit with only allowing helpers for a short time frame. Management figures we will "bust it out" and "suck it up" to get off in a decent time and I choose not to play the game.

soberups

FAR smarter people than I get paid to make decisions ,I work as directed. My Management team screwed the customers with Poor Decision Making.
In the final weeks of World War 2, Adolph Hitler was effectively insane. He was issuing nonsensical orders and directing phantom/ nonexistent armies into battle from within the confines of his bunker in Berlin, while outside in the real world his subordinates were often ignoring his orders in order to protect German civilians from the oncoming Russians and arrange favorable surrender terms with the Allies. Peak Season at UPS is kind of the same thing; once our management has clearly lost the ability to make any sort of rational decisions, as drivers we have to just nod our heads in agreement while they babble at the PCM and then go out there in the real world and do what is needed to get the packages delivered.

Last edited:

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
In the final weeks of World War 2, Adolph Hitler was effectively insane. He was issuing nonsensical orders and directing phantom/ nonexistent armies into battle from within the confines of his bunker in Berlin, while outside in the real world his subordinates were often ignoring his orders in order to protect German civilians from the oncoming Russians and arrange favorable surrender terms with the Allies. Peak Season at UPS is kind of the same thing; once management has clearly lost the ability to make any sort of rational decisions, as drivers we have to just nod our heads in agreement while they babble at the PCM and then go out there in the real world and do what is needed to get the packages delivered.
Hell yeah.

I have never used a helper beyond my time limit to screw management. I use them as much as I need them and then cut him loose. I get a scolding about my helper to which I reply by ponting out my scratch day and zero missed .

You all have a rally cry to stand up to management unless wad suits you.

I for one will stand up for myself my customers and my pension which means doing everything I have to do to make my company and therefore my management team successful.

All on the clock and within the confines of my contract.

I will work on the clock by the methods and efficiently as humanly possible

soberups

In the past I would do that as well,but with routes being cut and idiot dispatches every day I had ZERO problems last week cutting my helper loose after 2 hours as instructed and working 13 hours with 36 missed stops one day,and 42 missed the next. Of course the next mornings when asked about my "performance" I was told: But you had a HELPER!!!"
I start at 8:25...so assuming a 30 minute lunch, a 13 hour day would have me knocking on doors and delivering packages at 9:30 at night in the deep dark woods which is a real good way to get shot. Sorry, not happening. I would much rather keep my helper, work 10 or 11 hours, get everything delivered, and then show up the next day and ignore some snot-nosed supervisor while he threw a tantrum over how I looked on a meaningless report. But that's just me.

jaker

trolling
You guys who are talking about keeping your helper as long as needed even have a helper right now

Yes in the past that was the case and might be the case next month some time , but right now they are cracking down on drivers who use their helper longer then what is approved and yes they are getting in trouble for it how much trouble has yet to been seen

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I start at 8:25...so assuming a 30 minute lunch, a 13 hour day would have me knocking on doors and delivering packages at 9:30 at night in the deep dark woods which is a real good way to get shot. Sorry, not happening. I would much rather keep my helper, work 10 or 11 hours, get everything delivered, and then show up the next day and ignore some snot-nosed supervisor while he threw a tantrum over how I looked on a meaningless report. But that's just me.
Would you get discharged over it for not working as directed?

soberups

Would you get discharged over it for not working as directed?
Not without first going through the progressive discipline process per the labor agreement. So in other words, they would have to write out a warning letter and arrange a meeting with a shop steward in order to discipline me for making service on the packages. Its not gonna happen for 3 reasons; 1-they don't have time. 2-they need every driver they have to come in to work and 3- they would look like complete and total idiots at the meeting for telling me to deliberately miss stops in order to keep a helper from working over 2 hours.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In the final weeks of World War 2, Adolph Hitler was effectively insane. He was issuing nonsensical orders and directing phantom/ nonexistent armies into battle from within the confines of his bunker in Berlin, while outside in the real world his subordinates were often ignoring his orders in order to protect German civilians from the oncoming Russians and arrange favorable surrender terms with the Allies. Peak Season at UPS is kind of the same thing; once our management has clearly lost the ability to make any sort of rational decisions, as drivers we have to just nod our heads in agreement while they babble at the PCM and then go out there in the real world and do what is needed to get the packages delivered.
I'll trade my current center manager for an insane Adolf any day of the week lol:angel:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It's awesome things still work like that in some parts of the country,I miss some aspects of the way things used to be.

AKCoverMan

Not without first going through the progressive discipline process per the labor agreement. So in other words, they would have to write out a warning letter and arrange a meeting with a shop steward in order to discipline me for making service on the packages. Its not gonna happen for 3 reasons; 1-they don't have time. 2-they need every driver they have to come in to work and 3- they would look like complete and total idiots at the meeting for telling me to deliberately miss stops in order to keep a helper from working over 2 hours.
Exactly. If I have a helper I'll keep them as needed if the alternative is missing stops or getting help from another driver. If I'm gonna need help I will use the help I already have on board. Never had a word said to me about it.

But if it gets so insane that they gave me a write up for making a good decision so as to make service then I would go completely with 728s plan and kill them with their own plan.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
After black Friday everybody will probably be able to keep helper for at least 8 hours. Its just a game their playing right now to keep labor costs down. Wont be that way next week and we know that much. Once hell breaks loose its on like Donkey Kong. Probably going to be crazy this week on east coast anyway from the snow delays that occurred last week.

After black Friday everybody will probably be able to keep helper for at least 8 hours. Its just a game their playing right now to keep labor costs down. Wont be that way next week and we know that much. Once hell breaks loose its on like Donkey Kong. Probably going to be crazy this week on east coast anyway from the snow delays that occurred last week.
Pimp juice,for everyone!..LMFAO

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Yes you Yankees , keep that s up there till I go on vacation first week in January. Its gonna be like centipede and galaga everything dropping down on our heads.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Pimp juice,for everyone!..LMFAO
pimp juice.jpg
lol.