We bought a house

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Congrats on the house, Sleeve, I hope the closing goes smoothly for you guys. That's great advice from DS, BTW, and you sound like you are making wise choices financially. You should do well. Good luck with trying to be the "unknown drummer".

Ha Ha Ha.

Sleeve, congrats on the house. Don't forget the $8K first time home buyer's credit and your closings costs when it comes time to file your taxes.

Thanks!, yes will not forget those Upstate. The seller is paying $5,000 at closing so it looks like our closing costs will be pretty low, around $2000.

browndevil

My fiance and I bought a house this week. It's a nice little ranch home in Bedford, NH.

This is my first time buying a home. For many years in my 20s I set a goal to purchase a home by the time I was 30. I am now 31 last month so came pretty close!

Looks like no more voluntary layoff days in 2010 :peaceful:
Congrats on the house and your upcoming marriage:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sleeve, check with your local to see if you get legal representation as part of your benefits. There is usually a network of lawyers that you can choose from or they will pay up to X amount of dollars for the lawyer of your choice.

It will be so nice not paying your landlord's mortgage.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Congratulations on taking the 1st step in real estate. It sounds like you have a good plan in place. Without being too nosey why did you wait till being in your 30's to buy?

Several factors/reasons!

Firstly, was single. I did not have a down payment at 25-27 years old.
I did not work one full-time job making over 50k a year - it was PT at UPS and PT outside of UPS. Also, home prices were outrageous at the time, especially in the Boston area. Could hardly afford a decent apartment, nevermind a small shack of a condo.

It is a good thing I couldn't buy then, because of what happned with the housing market. This house was way out of our price range 3-5 years ago and is close to a steal now.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, check with your local to see if you get legal representation as part of your benefits. There is usually a network of lawyers that you can choose from or they will pay up to X amount of dollars for the lawyer of your choice.

It will be so nice not paying your landlord's mortgage.

I will definitly check that out now that you mention it, thanks