Weak locals. How to address issue

trickpony1

9 times out of 10 issues that arise can be settled to everyone's satisfaction without putting pen to paper.

This may be another one of those things you don't understand Dave.

Filing has several benefits:
-creates a paper trail;
-it gets the BA and the Labor Manager involved and;
-creates a hard copy including date, time, who, what, where and why.

The company does the same thing when an employee is written up.

Hope this helps.

tourists24

It is the stewards job to maintain relations between mgt and the hourlies that he/she represents. 9 times out of 10 issues that arise can be settled to everyone's satisfaction without putting pen to paper.
I agree with that. But it’s not the job of steward talk the members out of filing grievances unless there is no violation of the contract

Sokom

The Friendly Supervisor
It could very well be a DFR issue. Stewards are required by LAW to represent you. and you very possibly have a CASE against them if they don't.

Research Duty of fair Representation.

As a supe I won't so much as buy my stewards a soda in case it was misconstrued as some kinda quid pro quo thing.

Retaliation in any form is not cool at all. The one thing management wants from the employees is to work by the contract, go home and spend the money they have earned.

I hate to hear you have been made uncomfortable by this situation and am more than willing to help where I can.

Sokom

The Friendly Supervisor
This may be another one of those things you don't understand Dave.

Filing has several benefits:
-creates a paper trail;
-it gets the BA and the Labor Manager involved and;
-creates a hard copy including date, time, who, what, where and why.

The company does the same thing when an employee is written up.

Hope this helps.
Not to mention you can't even bring an issue up later down the line as it goes higher unless it has a grievance attached to it.

Dr.Brownz

Now that seems like a great idea.

The right to work just passed in my state. I read a lot on here that makes unions weaker? I hope not. We will be pistol whipped my management if it gets any weaker.

Seriously tho, could it get stronger due to the dues expected to be earned vs just collecting them? I figured they were placing efforts in areas that had a choice

Go to your local and tell them why are we paying dues if you pusillanimous are not going to do anything? If they don't change, start filing osha and labor board charges every chance you get. Make sure you cover your ass and follow all the rules if you do.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We need to have a strong national who will actually back up the local unions....they cant be second guessing the local officers... for instance what Hoffa has done with zuckerman and O’Brien....unacceptable...

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Hello guys and gals...
Wanted to ask opinions on how to handle weak local issues. Our BA is beyond worthless, only speaks up to defend management (can't make this stuff up), drops grievances behind your back and won't hear harassment grievances due to "no discipline being attached to it."
Many other instances, but those off top of my head.
Everyone knows the union won't defend us, so everyone simply tries to stay off radar. Current and past SSs get dispatched light to keep any issues from arising. They tell people that they're going to get harassed more if they file.
I've called the local and take it that they consider me a troublemaker for complaining. They say if that were actually going on, they'd hear more about it.
It's really unbelievable, even more so the more I learn about what they supposed to do. I've been there 13 years and am bewildered at this sorry excuse of representation. I only got a union book in current contract. Never knew about them before.
It's sad all the sacrifices people made to form unions, only to end up with this. we've had outstanding grievances for YEARS at times.
If the union remotely listened to my concerns, I'd have hope. But for them to just brush me off I'd more than discouraging. I just file now and file eeoc. They're a joke too. But at least it's on record.
Thanks in advance for any input

So I finally read everything you posted.

Here is what I come away with: You are in a 30 car center (rural?), how can you and the management team not work together (not saying they are right) and everyone gets along. You are a small center why do you have big center issues? You probably have one of the best paying jobs in the area WTF is all the drama about.

I find it quite humorous that everyone says don't call D.C. you will get nothing, but if you call so and so things will get done. Unbelievable the way the Teamsters are run, it sucks you are paying for nothing but really should not be shocked.

The Range

In too deep
My BA doesn't return calls, don't feel bad. I'm sure he has far more important things to deal with than individual concerns. I would go to a meeting and confront him professionally. Extend him the courtesy he doesn't extend to you. These guys talk the talk when they need your vote then go soft after a year or two of taking a beating.

Last edited:

Here is what I come away with: You are in a 30 car center (rural?), how can you and the management team not work together (not saying they are right) and everyone gets along. You are a small center why do you have big center issues? You probably have one of the best paying jobs in the area WTF is all the drama about.

I find it quite humorous that everyone says don't call D.C. you will get nothing, but if you call so and so things will get done. Unbelievable the way the Teamsters are run, it sucks you are paying for nothing but really should not be shocked.
I do have one of the best jobs in my area, no doubt. Just wasn't worth it during the harassment phase, with discharge being threatened, and falsifying docs to achieve it.
Now that I learned some things, the harassment has come to a halt. Just a shame it couldn't have been handled earlier by the union.

My BA doesn't return calls, don't feel bad. I'm sure he has far more important things to deal with than individual concerns. I would go to a meeting and confront him professionally. Extend him the courtesy he doesn't extend to you. These guys talk the talk when they need your vote then go soft after a year or two of taking a beating.
Glad you finally got some representation. We can't get due tickets to go to meetings. It's as if we don't exist. When I call the local, they either lie to tell me what I want to hear, or act as if I'm complaining over nothing. Must be nice to be a supervisor here. The BA has THEIR back

SoCalUPS

The reason you don't call DC is that they will just forward your complaint to the joint council or your local leadership. Same as if a sidewalk in front of your house needed repair. You wouldn't call the White House, they would just kick it back to the city council or state

Over disciplined0123

Hello guys and gals...
Wanted to ask opinions on how to handle weak local issues. Our BA is beyond worthless, only speaks up to defend management (can't make this stuff up), drops grievances behind your back and won't hear harassment grievances due to "no discipline being attached to it."
Many other instances, but those off top of my head.
Everyone knows the union won't defend us, so everyone simply tries to stay off radar. Current and past SSs get dispatched light to keep any issues from arising. They tell people that they're going to get harassed more if they file.
I've called the local and take it that they consider me a troublemaker for complaining. They say if that were actually going on, they'd hear more about it.
It's really unbelievable, even more so the more I learn about what they supposed to do. I've been there 13 years and am bewildered at this sorry excuse of representation. I only got a union book in current contract. Never knew about them before.
It's sad all the sacrifices people made to form unions, only to end up with this. we've had outstanding grievances for YEARS at times.
If the union remotely listened to my concerns, I'd have hope. But for them to just brush me off I'd more than discouraging. I just file now and file eeoc. They're a joke too. But at least it's on record.
Thanks in advance for any input
So run against them next election if everyone is unhappy you have a sure win Lol. Or so you. It’s very hard to get long time representation out of their cozy jobs .They know who to send and not send ballots to and they know most people do not bother to vote .. That’s why I would love to see local elections done with the voting done prior to entrance to building so that everyone has to vote . Or mabey term limits to avoid company and union fraternizations... once they been in office for a few terms it is almost impossible to get them out

Inthegame

They know who to send and not send ballots to and they know most people do not bother to vote.
In Local Union elections, the IBT generates and delivers the mailing list directly to the printer of the ballots. "They" (the incumbent officers) are out of the loop on mailing of ballots.
That’s why I would love to see local elections done with the voting done prior to entrance to building so that everyone has to vote.
Everyone that has an address, has a vote.
...once they been in office for a few terms it is almost impossible to get them out
Shouldn't be that hard if they are indeed so "weak".

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In Local Union elections, the IBT generates and delivers the mailing list directly to the printer of the ballots. "They" (the incumbent officers) are out of the loop on mailing of ballots.
Who's in charge of maintaining, or neglecting, this "mailing list"?....

....the Local, or the IBT???

Inthegame

Who's in charge of maintaining, or neglecting, this "mailing list"?....

....the Local, or the IBT???
Both to an extent as both rely on an accurate, up to date membership lists to exist. The list is generated through TITAN (the antiquated information system the IBT forces Local unions to use) records, and goes directly to the printer.
The point the poster was making fails on many logical reasons, the least of which is how would a supposed bunch of buffoons who can't run a local union somehow be bright enough to divine how every member would vote? Followed by a conspiracy to commit a crime that would clearly disqualify the result and more than likely land the perpetrators in serious hot water.
Charges of embezzlement have been brought on less serious election tampering as the theory is the winner obtained office illegally and therefore "stole" their salary.
Local unions determine whether to hire an election service or count ballots through a membership election committee on which all candidates have input on member selection. In any case, witnesses are allowed for every step of the process, including the mailing.

Over disciplined0123

Completely understand and thanks for the suggestions.

Just to be clear, when I call the local, I get 100% disregarded. D.C. Is the only number that helps get him to act, whatsoever.

I agree being in a corner gets you nowhere. I spent too much time there, not knowing my rights. Never again!

The steward isn't going to tag along anywhere. He would be afraid he'd get 10 more stops if the company found out. He says his job is to keep grievances from being filed. Says we will get a target on our back from DM if we file......but it's up to us. Idgf about targets anymore. Can't say the same about everyone else at our building.
I believe we’re all targets lately

Over disciplined0123

we have this similar problem at our center. our managers get stewards to bring problems to them to "talk it over". this allows management to constantly cross the line on many issues, knowing they always have a freebie to use, IF they get caught... our steward has admitted to receiving special treatment. and also said he doesn't like hearing drivers complain.
one problem I believe is the stewards are only compensated $22 per week and theyre not really held accountable for their actions or lack of actions. I am not happy about how our Union is operating and something needs to done.
Stewards got nothing as compensation

Over disciplined0123

Everyone that has an address, has a vote.
Shouldn't be that hard if they are indeed so "weak".
Part timers have the majority vote . And yes they get mailed ballots mailed to them but they do not return part timers careless most are there temporally . Last election out of almost 1500 members only 400 to 500 ballots returned

Inthegame

Part timers have the majority vote . And yes they get mailed ballots mailed to them but they do not return part timers careless most are there temporally . Last election out of almost 1500 members only 400 to 500 ballots returned
33% returned ballots is actually on the high side, which means the leadership must be pleasing to a higher pct of the membership than average, or they wouldn't get re-elected.
You really think a local would be better run by simply getting more votes from pt's, who by your admission, are not members that long? The same folks that are too lazy/apathetic/uninterested to go through the monumental effort of marking an X on a ballot, putting it in a self addressed stamped envelope and placing said envelope back in the mailbox?
The last thing we need in any election is more uninformed voters.

Last edited: