Weak locals. How to address issue

Legend has it at our center the former BA used to drop by and talk to members about any concerns. Really hand it to management over issues.
Current one waits until start time to chill with management before he shows up. He used to be a driver. A man would think he'd be more squared away

Ms.PacMan

It's tough when UPS employees are just a small part of the local union and your BA has never worked for UPS. Upsers are usually the highest paid members and the local union acts like we're just high paid whiners.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's tough when UPS employees are just a small part of the local union and your BA has never worked for UPS. Upsers are usually the highest paid members and the local union acts like we're just high paid whiners.

In our local UPS employees are by far the majority and our President is a former employee. UPS is at the top of their agenda list.

RoadKill25

I filed my first and only grievance on a blatent disregard for seniority. I had to hound the steward to walk me through the form. management almost instantly awarded me.
a couple years ago I demanded to opt on the 9.5 list because they wouldn't ever give me a request off, since I know 90% of our area. a sup threatened me twice that if I opted on I'd never see a day off again and I'd be put on the heaviest route. steward didn't say a word.
I understand wanting to work things out but I'm sick of deals being made at my expense or others.
I will continue to pay dues because I'm thankful for having my job.

RoadKill25

those are just a couple examples that I experienced. I'm sure that doesn't happen all the time. but I wonder if compensating the stewards more would make them stronger.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I think not having to pay dues is understandable, but I don't think compensation is a good idea. Even though the two may be difficult to distinguish. What thoughts does anyone else have on the topic of steward compensation?

I agree with not having to pays dues. I know that some may want to do the job just for the money, but I don't think that is the norm.

Stewards may spend considerable time working, ie, investigating, researching, defending in local hearing, etc while not being compensated. I think not having to pay dues is a symbolic gesture from the local for their time and effort.

Here, Stewards are on the clock representing employees if the company initiates the charges.

But, if an employee files the grievance, these are usually heard while the employee is off the clock, and the Steward is as well.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I filed my first and only grievance on a blatent disregard for seniority. I had to hound the steward to walk me through the form. management almost instantly awarded me.
a couple years ago I demanded to opt on the 9.5 list because they wouldn't ever give me a request off, since I know 90% of our area. a sup threatened me twice that if I opted on I'd never see a day off again and I'd be put on the heaviest route. steward didn't say a word.
I understand wanting to work things out but I'm sick of deals being made at my expense or others.
I will continue to pay dues because I'm thankful for having my job.
:censored2: that! I would make that sup my bitch if he said some stupid :censored2: like that. They would need to cut down a national forest to make paper for all the grievances I'd be filing!

SoCalUPS

You, your Brothers and Sisters are the Union. If your "Union" is weak, it's on all of you. Get involved, hold your leaderships feet to the fire and if they don't cut it, vote them out. It's that simple. Being a complacent member is not the answer. Good luck

You, your Brothers and Sisters are the Union. If your "Union" is weak, it's on all of you. Get involved, hold your leaderships feet to the fire and if they don't cut it, vote them out. It's that simple. Being a complacent member is not the answer. Good luck
I understand what you're saying and agree, for the most part. If I call my local and get completely disregarded when I bring up serious issues, where do we turn? If we call D.C., they say our BA is busy. As I mentioned earlier, it's a center of 30 or so members. Hardly enough to turn an election.

In theory, what you're saying is spot on. In our isolated center,it's just not reality. Our BA has a much closer relationship with management than any members. He will come down and politic, shake hands with all of them. Won't acknowledge us, I assume for complaining on him? I'm not sure why he takes it personally? No one has ever followed up, investigated or anything. I think he may have even got promoted to treasurer too? Some sort of promotion. The fact he even has a job speaks loudly enough for me

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Wanted to ask opinions on how to handle weak local issues.

My locals president is a BIG DOG in the teamsters.

Call and schedule a meeting.

What Local Union President, wouldn't make time for a member ?

Our BA has a much closer relationship with management than any members. He will come down and politic, shake hands with all of them. Won't acknowledge us, I assume for complaining on him?

That might be the problem.

Calling DC to complain about your Local and agents, without any sort of history

and documented evidence.... gets throw in the scrap pile. (So to speak)

I think he may have even got promoted to treasurer too? Some sort of promotion.

@Management Blows;

It seems you have a limited knowledge of your Local Union.

Go to your Local monthly meetings.

Introduce yourself, and bring your Steward and co-workers with you.

(Not to confront or dramatize your concerns.)

But, to open a dialogue and discuss the issues that are of relevance.

It's not that hard.

Acting like a sniveling little coward in the corner.... will get you nowhere.

-Bug-

Call and schedule a meeting.

What Local Union President, wouldn't make time for a member ?

That might be the problem.

Calling DC to complain about your Local and agents, without any sort of history

and documented evidence.... gets throw in the scrap pile. (So to speak)

@Management Blows;

It seems you have a limited knowledge of your Local Union.

Go to your Local monthly meetings.

Introduce yourself, and bring your Steward and co-workers with you.

(Not to confront or dramatize your concerns.)

But, to open a dialogue and discuss the issues that are of relevance.

It's not that hard.

Acting like a sniveling little coward in the corner.... will get you nowhere.

-Bug-
Completely understand and thanks for the suggestions.

Just to be clear, when I call the local, I get 100% disregarded. D.C. Is the only number that helps get him to act, whatsoever.

I agree being in a corner gets you nowhere. I spent too much time there, not knowing my rights. Never again!

The steward isn't going to tag along anywhere. He would be afraid he'd get 10 more stops if the company found out. He says his job is to keep grievances from being filed. Says we will get a target on our back from DM if we file......but it's up to us. Idgf about targets anymore. Can't say the same about everyone else at our building.

tourists24

The steward isn't going to tag along anywhere. He would be afraid he'd get 10 more stops if the company found out. He says his job is to keep grievances from being filed. Says we will get a target on our back from DM if we file......but it's up to us. Idgf about targets anymore. Can't say the same about everyone else at our building.
That steward is no steward..... it's not a stewards job to keep grievances from being filed

SoCalUPS

I understand what you're saying and agree, for the most part. If I call my local and get completely disregarded when I bring up serious issues, where do we turn? If we call D.C., they say our BA is busy. As I mentioned earlier, it's a center of 30 or so members. Hardly enough to turn an election.

In theory, what you're saying is spot on. In our isolated center,it's just not reality. Our BA has a much closer relationship with management than any members. He will come down and politic, shake hands with all of them. Won't acknowledge us, I assume for complaining on him? I'm not sure why he takes it personally? No one has ever followed up, investigated or anything. I think he may have even got promoted to treasurer too? Some sort of promotion. The fact he even has a job speaks loudly enough for me
Let me walk you thru the process. If a violation of your contract occurs or a violation against you, get with the steward and the management to try to resolve. If your steward doesn't help, call your business agent. Document times and dates that you called your BA. Nothing happens, call the head guy at your local either Pres or Sec Treasurer. Document dates, times and conversations. No resolution, call your Joint Council and have them get involved. This usually gets your Union leadership pissed off, but if you haven't received any resolution, you have the right. DC is no help. I wouldn't bother calling them. If Joint Council doesn't help or your Union leadership still sits on their hands, file a charge with the NLRB for failure of representation. Right to fair representation | NLRB

SoCalUPS

A union has a duty under the law to represent fairly the interests of its members in protecting their rights under a collective bargaining agreement. However, an individual employee does not have an absolute right to require the employee’s union to pursue a grievance against the employer. A union has considerable discretion in controlling the grievance and arbitration procedure. The question is not whether the employee is satisfied with the union representation or whether that representation was perfect.

Breach of the duty of fair representation occurs only where a union acting in bad faith or in an arbitrary or discriminatory manner fails to process a meritorious grievance. So long as the union acts in good faith, it may exercise its discretion in determining whether to pursue or process an employee’s grievance against the employer. Even if an employee’s grievance has merit, the union’s mere negligence or its exercise of poor judgment does not constitute a breach of its duty of fair representation.

That's the most help i
Let me walk you thru the process. If a violation of your contract occurs or a violation against you, get with the steward and the management to try to resolve. If your steward doesn't help, call your business agent. Document times and dates that you called your BA. Nothing happens, call the head guy at your local either Pres or Sec Treasurer. Document dates, times and conversations. No resolution, call your Joint Council and have them get involved. This usually gets your Union leadership :censored2: off, but if you haven't received any resolution, you have the right. DC is no help. I wouldn't bother calling them. If Joint Council doesn't help or your Union leadership still sits on their hands, file a charge with the NLRB for failure of representation. Right to fair representation | NLRB
ve had from the union....ever. Lol. Thanks. Really appreciate it