Weak locals. How to address issue

Hello guys and gals...
Wanted to ask opinions on how to handle weak local issues. Our BA is beyond worthless, only speaks up to defend management (can't make this stuff up), drops grievances behind your back and won't hear harassment grievances due to "no discipline being attached to it."
Many other instances, but those off top of my head.
Everyone knows the union won't defend us, so everyone simply tries to stay off radar. Current and past SSs get dispatched light to keep any issues from arising. They tell people that they're going to get harassed more if they file.
I've called the local and take it that they consider me a troublemaker for complaining. They say if that were actually going on, they'd hear more about it.
It's really unbelievable, even more so the more I learn about what they supposed to do. I've been there 13 years and am bewildered at this sorry excuse of representation. I only got a union book in current contract. Never knew about them before.
It's sad all the sacrifices people made to form unions, only to end up with this. we've had outstanding grievances for YEARS at times.
If the union remotely listened to my concerns, I'd have hope. But for them to just brush me off I'd more than discouraging. I just file now and file eeoc. They're a joke too. But at least it's on record.
Thanks in advance for any input

Box Ox

Appreciate the responses. I talked the form Steward into stepping down due to his excuse of fearing discharge if he, or anyone else, filed. Well, BA simply appointed someone. It was his second choice. His first was more of a pushover. He done this in managements office, I assume to make sure they were ok with it? I asked local how they supposed to be selected, which they said election. I'm confused as to how they do wtf they want?

There's an election every 3 years. Start there. Our local is a beast because we voted out 'the good old boys'
I'm assuming you mean at the local itself? If so, we are at a disadvantage of making a real difference. There's only approximately 30 members total, on all shifts.
IMO that's the problem. We are a small, isolated center. They must just disregard our issues. But they sure take out dues equal to big centers. Idk? Pisses me off

When something happens it's a running joke for everyone to say "I'm going to file. Calling the union!" But its sarcastic. Everyone knows no one is going to do anything.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Sounds like you could really benefit from having a second Steward. Should be nothing standing in your way if you're supported by the rank and file in your center. Talk to your coworkers and have an election. Present the winner to your B.A.

RoadKill25

we have this similar problem at our center. our managers get stewards to bring problems to them to "talk it over". this allows management to constantly cross the line on many issues, knowing they always have a freebie to use, IF they get caught... our steward has admitted to receiving special treatment. and also said he doesn't like hearing drivers complain.
one problem I believe is the stewards are only compensated $22 per week and theyre not really held accountable for their actions or lack of actions. I am not happy about how our Union is operating and something needs to done.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
we have this similar problem at our center. our managers get stewards to bring problems to them to "talk it over". this allows management to constantly cross the line on many issues, knowing they always have a freebie to use, IF they get caught... our steward has admitted to receiving special treatment. and also said he doesn't like hearing drivers complain.
one problem I believe is the stewards are only compensated $22 per week and theyre not really held accountable for their actions or lack of actions. I am not happy about how our Union is operating and something needs to done.

Stewards get compensation?!?

RoadKill25

ours don't pay dues.
manager: "hey steward, you wanna make it to your kids sporting events? why don't you bring up any issues to us first and don't even think about filing."
steward: "deal"

Sounds like you could really benefit from having a second Steward. Should be nothing standing in your way if you're supported by the rank and file in your center. Talk to your coworkers and have an election. Present the winner to your B.A.
Now that seems like a great idea.

The right to work just passed in my state. I read a lot on here that makes unions weaker? I hope not. We will be pistol whipped my management if it gets any weaker.

Seriously tho, could it get stronger due to the dues expected to be earned vs just collecting them? I figured they were placing efforts in areas that had a choice

542thruNthru

ours don't pay dues.
manager: "hey steward, you wanna make it to your kids sporting events? why don't you bring up any issues to us first and don't even think about filing."

So your Steward brings up issues to management and he doesn't file. So why don't you file?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
ours don't pay dues.
I can see that happening, but if a problem can be solved to the would-be grievant's satisfaction without filing a grievance, I would think that would be a good thing.

I think not having to pay dues is understandable, but I don't think compensation is a good idea. Even though the two may be difficult to distinguish. What thoughts does anyone else have on the topic of steward compensation?

542thruNthru

I can see that happening, but if a problem can be solved to the would-be grievant's satisfaction without filing a grievance, I would think that would be a good thing.

I think not having to pay dues is understandable, but I don't think compensation is a good idea. Even though the two may be difficult to distinguish. What thoughts does anyone else have on the topic of steward compensation?

Our stewards pay dues and don't receive compensation. Most are also good stewards yet there are always some that think they get things or don't provide the best representation. I for one do not believe this and also appreciate everything my to shop stewards do.

My two shop stewards will also not hold your hand and do everything for you. I have seen them plenty of times sit down with a new driver show them how to fill out their grievance and provide them with all the information they need. Though there are a lot of drivers that have been here a while and then expect our shop stewards to fill out grievances send them in for them and do everything they should be doing themselves.

I find it odd that they sit back and neglect members, then were the first to whine when RTW passed. Sued, saying people will free load their services. What service?
I'm thankful for my pay and benefits, among other things. But it's a package deal. If the book is for entertainment purposes only, let us pay dues that's prorated for those issues? Once the union allows harassment to take place freely, the pay isn't as appealing

542thruNthru

I find it odd that they sit back and neglect members, then were the first to whine when RTW passed. Sued, saying people will free load their services. What service?
I'm thankful for my pay and benefits, among other things. But it's a package deal. If the book is for entertainment purposes only, let us pay dues that's prorated for those issues? Once the union allows harassment to take place freely, the pay isn't as appealing

So you file grievances?

So you file grievances?
I do now. I did initially as well. But I saw them getting dropped or not heard, just accepted that's how it was. I went thru a real difficult period of depression over a lot of work related issues. I understand now that you have to file to have the paper trail, worst case scenario.
I called D.C. On my BA concerning my outstanding grievances of 4 years. Total of 11 outstanding. He came and was salty I complained I guess? It had only been 4 years. He only spoke to defend management. Never suggested they done the first thing wrong.
Most people are too scared to file. I don't blame them too much based upon past practice. I was that person before. I try to rally the troops.