Weird UPS rules

P

pickup

"white or brown t-shirt"

What's wrong with a black t-shirt? I think it looks good! Matches your belt and boots.
I used to wear a black t, but changed to brown long ago to abide by the rule.

I think the black t shirt is cool also. Its hard to find a brown t shirt so I just go with white which actually jumps out more than the black color.

brownrodster

I wear black ankle socks a lot. It's usually not an issue for long. "Flavor of the week", you know.

I recently started doing this. No one has said anything about it. Even the sup who is a complete uniform nazi hasn't noticed or complained about it.

I will never waste my money on any UPS branded merchandise such as those brown socks.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I always felt that if you are required to wear a particular item then UPS should provide them for you. That being said I wear a brownn/gray Adidas sock. I've been wearing them for about 3 years now and no one has ever said a word.
FINALLY someone else does this too. I refuse to pay $6/pair for socks that only last a week. Can I afford it? Sure, but with the money I save on socks I put in the weekend beer fund. I went to Wal-mart and bought a dozen black ankle socks for $10. No one says a word about it. I also wear black and grey under shirts (I have white and brown ones too but in the summer I prefer not to wear the same sweaty shirt every day). Since I wasn't issued a touque when I was hired, I bought the cream coloured one off of upsers.com (I don't think they have it on the website anymore) and wear that in the winter. I've never worn polishable shoes, but they've always been black or brown. I wear a black nike sweatband on my wrist in the summer when its hot. The hats we wear in our centre we have made at an embroidery shop since everyone here refuses to wear the company issued hats.

I'm such a badass.

browniehound

How about this one: closing the bulk-head door before you sit down because that motion will hurt your shoulder? Let us push and pull the non-power steering wheel of a 2-ton truck 9 hours a day, but prohibit us from sliding a 8lb door closed from the sit position.

This is proof-positive that UPS is out of control. I am a muscular man of 200 lbs that has to strain my upper body to turn the package car around in a cul-de-sac for heavens sake! That's the good part. If there is a car parked on the cul-de-sac, then I have to BACK to make the turn!

I'm not talking dead-end streets, I'm talking a street with a circular end 100+ feet in diameter!! Good grief!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, this use to be me. Stopped drinking energy drinks about 4 years ago. I would tell people that my 2 monsters, were to keep my acid reflux away
Very good! It's hard to be balanced in these times, but looking toward the future, it's damaging not to be.

So as not to "Hi-Jack" this thread, I'd like to see supervisor's that are more balanced in what they do.:happy2:

M

Mike23

Who said that? I drink soda & energy drinks all day long

If you drink too much you could OD on caffeine (not making this up). It gives you some of the same symptoms of a recovering junky. It's very likely too if you drink too much of it at a time you could probably be charged with a DUI if you get into an accident. There's no precedent set with this but would you want to be the first?

ups1990

If you drink too much you could OD on caffeine (not making this up). It gives you some of the same symptoms of a recovering junky. It's very likely too if you drink too much of it at a time you could probably be charged with a DUI if you get into an accident. There's no precedent set with this but would you want to be the first?
That would not be a stretch for a defense. Does anyone remember the "twinkie case". A guy attributed his crime to eating too many twinkies.

thebrownbox

We are required to walk thru a metal detector that beeps every time the metal door opens or shuts. It is manned by an unarmed, 70 yr old "security guard" earning minimum wage who sits and reads the paper and ignores the beeping. It is for our safety, to prevent weapons from being brought into the building.

they fired our security guard because someone broke into someone car only 50Ft a way and stole this guy's gun... (that's a story in itself but the guy got his job back (UPS worker)

over9five

Staff member
Hmmm, had a gun on UPS property and got his job back? That's a good thing to remember.

I know a couple states have laws that say you can keep a gun in your car, no matter what your employer says. I didn't think CT was one of them.

thebrownbox

Yeah.. believe me EVERYONE was shocked he was able to come back I don't know if the fact that he never had any other issues and did a good job driving on weekends saved him.

dave991

Lead, don't follow.
you have to use handrails when going up stairs, yet if you have 3 10# pkgs you need both hands to carry them.....what rule do we ignore??

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
When the shorts came out, I had the understanding that they were optional. If I wanted to wear the shorts I had to buy their socks. If not, I wear the pants and my own socks. If you are a driver like me, I know what you make and I know that you can afford the socks. I checked today and you can get 6 pair for $24.00. C'mon now. Check yourself! Four bucks a pair!
you forget about us combo air drivers that make nothing and have to be on welfare :sad-little:

Bristol Brown

In the UK UPS drivers have to wear a seatbelt whenever the wheels are in motion.

So if you are asked to move your truck 2 feet backwards or forwards under UPS rules you have to fasten your seatbelt for your own safety.Yet in Bristol there are no facilities to wash your hands after work and the risk of dermatitis is still great as UPS are too tight to pay for proper washing facilities.

Complete and utter bollocks

tiegirl

tiegirl
Ok. I was thinking something along these lines I just could not find the right words when I read about the water certification forms. I wonder how much that person gets paid to create such a form?

Free toilet paper!

Seriously though...it is sad that there is a management person somewhere being paid to type up, copy and distribute "water certification forms". Can you say "trim the fat"?

MD Dan

In case of an earthquake(not terribly common here in the Washinton DC suburbs) we are to assemble in the innermost room in the center-- not meet outside where the ceiling, steel I beams, lighting fixtures, etc can't fall on us. Also, no flu shots because of possible liability issues.