Welcome new CEO - Carol Tome'

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
::Off Topic::
@Lineandinitial

Read this community's terms and rules :Terms and rules

3.) Our staff does not review all of the content posted here. We rely on the members to report inappropriate content so that it can be reviewed by the moderators and appropriate action taken when necessary. Content will not be deleted or altered for the purpose of distorting the pattern of opinion in any given discussion. The sole purpose of content editing or deletion is to remove inappropriate content and enforce these Terms of Service and House Rules.

Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the public forum.
If you have any concerns or questions about a staff decision, please take it up in private with a member of the site administration team.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Lots of media hype about increased residential package delivery because of cvd

I think we've seen about as much stock valur growth out of that as we are going to. I'm thinking major changes in our business model, or to the industry, would need to happen for the stock to keep going up. Just my opinion. Imagine if the P.O. went completely insolvent, or FedEx consolidated ground and express. Maybe several small, regional carriers going belly up. All of that would likely have some effect on UPS stock, short term, but if we aren't prepared to handle the excess volume, and continue to drive operation costs down, UPS stock is likely to correct downwards any time. Say after the next quarterly earnings report.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Remember, Better, not Bigger. Again, time will tell but the recent jump has been impressive.

I agree. I think the recent surge is due almost entirely to the "bigger" aspects of what we are doing. I can't think of anything that's being done "better" to sustain and continue the stock price growrh when/if the increased volume subsides.

clean hairy

word is that carol will be increasing the dividend by 8 to 10 percent payable in September 2020.......I envision a terrific Peak well-planned and executed via carols leadership.....she is turning the ups ship and running with the wind........better not bigger and back to being the tightest ship in the shipping business !...
And then you woke up from this dream....

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
word is that carol will be increasing the dividend by 8 to 10 percent payable in September 2020.......I envision a terrific Peak well-planned and executed via carols leadership.....she is turning the ups ship and running with the wind........better not bigger and back to being the tightest ship in the shipping business !...

I envision a disaster if we do not have enough equipment or properly trained manpower. Sure does not look promising right now...

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
If she wants to look like a hero.fix the late air every day problem.this costs ups millions every day.then listen to the guys on the street Orion could be much better it's half done and costs ups millions in extra miles and time every day.

They have an exemption clause (Act of God) for service failures now because of the pandemic. They ain’t reimbursing shippers currently, that is why packages are left in building..Most of them are irregulars or over 70’s..

Karma...

stock price is forward expectations and with carol in charge those expectations are positive......the old guard attitudes seemed to be status quo as usual.....the covid 19 situation does help and there is no going back to the prior consumer buying of items......the test for carol will be this peak....if and when peak is organized and run well carol will have done what none of her predecessors have done.......I was around for a long time and every peak seemed it was the first peak ups ever had......this did nothing to instill confidence in ups overall planning.......the credit for getting thruprior peaks is the outstanding jobs done by our union and lower management people....we are lucky to have them.....I wish ups the best and carol the best and much success.....there was a great deal of missed money to be made in the past and there is greater amount of money to be made now.....carol is the right person at the right time to pull everyone and everything together and drive the stock price and dividend price up and forward.....after all when all is said and done stock price and dividends are her major responsibilities.....take a good look at the Home Depot stock when carol was cfo.....I expect the same now of ups........

Karma...

and take a look at fdx stock over the years....clearly Fred S knows his job....why has ups done poorly ?.......poor management is the reason........

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
stock price is forward expectations and with carol in charge those expectations are positive......the old guard attitudes seemed to be status quo as usual.....the covid 19 situation does help and there is no going back to the prior consumer buying of items......the test for carol will be this peak....if and when peak is organized and run well carol will have done what none of her predecessors have done.......I was around for a long time and every peak seemed it was the first peak ups ever had......this did nothing to instill confidence in ups overall planning.......the credit for getting thruprior peaks is the outstanding jobs done by our union and lower management people....we are lucky to have them.....I wish ups the best and carol the best and much success.....there was a great deal of missed money to be made in the past and there is greater amount of money to be made now.....carol is the right person at the right time to pull everyone and everything together and drive the stock price and dividend price up and forward.....after all when all is said and done stock price and dividends are her major responsibilities.....take a good look at the Home Depot stock when carol was cfo.....I expect the same now of ups........
Completely, not true. In our area as soon as the stores started opening. People started surging back in. Stores were having record numbers, for store sales in late July and early August.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
and take a look at fdx stock over the years....clearly Fred S knows his job....why has ups done poorly ?.......poor management is the reason........

I can't argue with the poor management. But you still haven't given me any reason to expect stock prices to keep going up. Carol is the right person? What does that mean? What is she doing that is making the stock go up? There have been no changes in the way this company operates besides increase in volume. You have no way to know that volume won't go away. Once people start running out of stimulus and unemployment, how are they going to order anything? All I keep seeing is Carol cheerleading. Your optimism, and unnatural affinity for someone I assume you've never met, are no substitute for facts.

Karma...

all your points are well taken....perhaps I am unduly too optimistic due to the plodding mismanagement of the past.....I shall remain optimistic and put that optimism in a person who has past successes.......

Ou812fu

all your points are well taken....perhaps I am unduly too optimistic due to the plodding mismanagement of the past.....I shall remain optimistic and put that optimism in a person who has past successes.......
You truly might want to research home depot financials, before calling something a success. 😉

Ou812fu

Here is something to read.
[/URL]
And this,
Here's Wikipedia
Carol Tomé is an American business executive. She is the Chief Executive Officer of United Parcel Service (UPS). She is the former CFO of Atlanta, Georgia based company The Home Depot. She announced her retirement from the position in April, 2019 after 24 years with the company
Aparently we don't know how long at hlhome depot.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Some other points to consider. You say stock price and dividends are the CEO's responsibility, but then use Home Depot stock while Carol was CFO as evidence that she will be good for stock. So which is it? Was Carol responsible for HD stock prices as CFO, or is she responsible for UPS stock prices as CEO?

I'm sure having a CEO with experience in finance isn't a bad thing. But I would like to see more operations experience at an executive level as well. What worked in finance leadership might not necessarily translate to operations.

Karma...

again..diversities of experience strengthens people and businesses...perhaps carol does have such diversities in both life and hd.......one thing that helped ups in the past was our wholly promotion from within where virtually everyone started out in the union after getting out of the military....that emphasized the commonalities of experience...it worked as a private company....thats all gone and we had to adjust to changinging conditions....thus united parcel service morphed into ups......should have kept the then emblem which meant service instead of the new emblem which means nothing....reliability vs flash........jim Casey has been spinning in his grave for a long time.....I am surprised that the Annie Casey foundation has not been re-named....