Well Guys...

Van, let me preface what I’m going to say by saying that I like you and I’m sure you’re a nice guy. BUT, from what I’ve seen on here, you have a bad habit of blaming everyone around you but yourself for your misfortune. You are the one who chose to quit FedEx multiple times then blaming management and the company for why you are doing poorly right now. You were a single man with no children most of your life. How is it that you were unable to put money aside for retirement? I was a single mother for a long time, mostly not getting child support. I still made sure to put money into a 401k even though there were times my electricity was briefly turned off due to lack of funds. Please don’t take this as me thinking I’m any better than you, but I had to make very hard choices, including staying with the same company and working 6 days a week for years, to ensure my children were taken care of.

Yes, I have a pension because I stuck with the job, in good times and bad times. My pension pays my bills. The only reason I’m working a full time job right now is for insurance and extra money. I still have my 401k sitting until I need it. My Social Security will come later too. I also have disposable income because I don’t have losers mooching off me. My children are responsible for themselves because I raised them that way.

Face it, you didn’t do much long term planning. I survived while also plann😂ing. I also moved a lot, but I made sure I kept the security of the same job. I’m not knocking you for traveling around and living different places. I actually wish I had the balls to do that, but I don’t.
Don't be a Dylan 😆

rickyb

Van, let me preface what I’m going to say by saying that I like you and I’m sure you’re a nice guy. BUT, from what I’ve seen on here, you have a bad habit of blaming everyone around you but yourself for your misfortune. You are the one who chose to quit FedEx multiple times then blaming management and the company for why you are doing poorly right now. You were a single man with no children most of your life. How is it that you were unable to put money aside for retirement? I was a single mother for a long time, mostly not getting child support. I still made sure to put money into a 401k even though there were times my electricity was briefly turned off due to lack of funds. Please don’t take this as me thinking I’m any better than you, but I had to make very hard choices, including staying with the same company and working 6 days a week for years, to ensure my children were taken care of.

Yes, I have a pension because I stuck with the job, in good times and bad times. My pension pays my bills. The only reason I’m working a full time job right now is for insurance and extra money. I still have my 401k sitting until I need it. My Social Security will come later too. I also have disposable income because I don’t have losers mooching off me. My children are responsible for themselves because I raised them that way.

Face it, you didn’t do much long term planning. I survived while also planning. I also moved a lot, but I made sure I kept the security of the same job. I’m not knocking you for traveling around and living different places. I actually wish I had the balls to do that, but I don’t.
maybe you are lucky and found somewhere that you liked to work whereas vanmexican was at a more toxic workplace fedex site

vantexan

Face it, you didn’t do much long term planning. I survived while also planning. I also moved a lot, but I made sure I kept the security of the same job. I’m not knocking you for traveling around and living different places. I actually wish I had the balls to do that, but I don’t.
When I quit as a topped out courier in 1997 I was making $13.50hr in Colorado. That was after getting a 39 cent raise a couple months before, the first one in four years and four months.

You said I blame everyone else. I have said repeatedly that I made a mistake quitting in '97. Many times. Doesn't change the fact that I came back in good faith and was told I would top out in 7-8 years. 14 years and 8 months later when I left again to get married I was making almost $6hr less than top out. And they were still telling new hires they would top out in 7-8 years.

Yes, if I had hung on and not quit in '97 I would have done a heck of a lot better. But that would be me. What I experienced coming back was what they did to everyone being hired from '97 on after they gave very large adjustments over several years to topped out employees. And I knew many topped out employees over the years who were either shocked to find out what we in midrange were going through or sneered at us for being unhappy with our lot.

And yes I'm a traveler. If you're happy feathering your nest and staying put then great. But a lot of people it they stayed with FedEx long term had a lot less to get by on and feather their nest than you did.

I get it. A lot of senior, topped out couriers are very loyal to the company. And I don't begrudge what they paid you. I only wanted the same deal, to top out in a reasonable amount of time. Very discouraging when starting pay keeps being moved up and people just hired are making about $2hr less than me after being back 12 years while top out was almost $6 an hour more and I was falling further behind getting 2% raises on $13-$16hr while topped out were getting 3% on higher pay.

And then there was management. You pointed out I moved around a lot. I also transferred into terrible situations like mgrs forcing me to work 6 days to get my 35hrs and if I came in under 35 I didn't get my guarantee. And when I went to the company they covered for the mgr.

Or the mgrs putting my freight into the U.S. mail to keep me from getting OT, driving me under 35 hrs and falsifying my timecards to make it look like I got just over 35. I was making $11.67 HR at the time and 35 hrs made it difficult to get by. They and the above mgr eventually got fired. The senior got demoted. But it put a hell of a lot of stress on me.

I can give plenty more examples. You think you know but you don't. But ok, they were doing stuff like this to tens of thousands of couriers but hey, with a little bit of planning it's easy peasy. Nothing to see here, move along.

Last edited:

Commercial Inside Release

@vantexan a lot of folks here put up with the insurmountable grind to achieve their pensions, out of fear they may end up in a situation like yours. So, it's natural for some of them to have trouble accepting the your situation -- it terrifies them. They watched UPS & FedEx chew up and spit out more people than they can even remember along the way, and they know it could have happened to them, too.

It takes courage to keep your chin up, during difficulties later in life. You probably just cope better than most. Enjoy the time you have with your dad, regroup, and plan your future travels. The world is going bonkers, and changing so fast, who knows where and how we'll all be 5 years from now.

rickyb

When I quit as a topped out courier in 1997 I was making $13.50hr in Colorado. That was after getting a 39 cent raise a couple months before, the first one in four years and four months.

You said I blame everyone else. I have said repeatedly that I made a mistake quitting in '97. Many times. Doesn't change the fact that I came back in good faith and was told I would top out in 7-8 years. 14 years and 8 months later when I left again to get married I was making almost $6hr less than top out. And they were still telling new hires they would top out in 7-8 years.

Yes, if I had hung on and not quit in '97 I would have done a heck of a lot better. But that would be me. What I experienced coming back was what they did to everyone being hired from '97 on after they gave very large adjustments over several years to topped out employees. And I knew many topped out employees over the years who were either shocked to find out what we in midrange were going through or sneered at us for being unhappy with our lot.

And yes I'm a traveler. If you're happy feathering your nest and staying put then great. But a lot of people it they stayed with FedEx long term had a lot less to get by on and feather their nest than you did.

I get it. A lot of senior, topped out couriers are very loyal to the company. And I don't begrudge what they paid you. I only wanted the same deal, to top out in a reasonable amount of time. Very discouraging when starting pay keeps being moved up and people just hired are making about $2hr less than me after being back 12 years while top out was almost $6 an hour more and I was falling further behind getting 2% raises on $13-$16hr while topped out were getting 3% on higher pay.

And then there was management. You pointed out I moved around a lot. I also transferred into terrible situations like mgrs forcing me to work 6 days to get my 35hrs and if I came in under 35 I didn't get my guarantee. And when I went to the company they covered for the mgr.

Or the mgrs putting my freight into the U.S. mail to keep me from getting OT, driving me under 35 hrs and falsifying my timecards to make it look like I got just over 35. I was making $11.67 HR at the time and 35 hrs made it difficult to get by. They and the above mgr eventually got fired. The senior got demoted. But it put a hell of a lot of stress on me.

I can give plenty more examples. You think you know but you don't. But ok, they were doing stuff like this to tens of thousands of couriers but hey, with a little bit of planning it's easy peasy. Nothing to see here, move along.
y dont u strip for money

?