Well Guys...

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

vantexan

I do NOT live like a hobo. As a matter of fact, I have more disposable income than I’ve ever had in my adult life. Don’t judge all FedEx retirees by the poor planning of one person. Oh, and I’m too young to collect social security.
The poor planning? My mistake was quitting and getting rehired. But what they did to me after I returned was what they were doing to tens of thousands. What kind of retirement would you have if you didn't have your traditional pension? What if your traditional pension was based on $15hr or less when it was terminated? instead of the $20hr+ you enjoyed? What if you came on after all new hires were put on the portable pension? And your contributions to it were 5% based on $14hr with 2% annual raises? Or the people who only have a 401k now with no pension and raises being slow walked? Enjoy your retirement, you earned it. But don't assume your experience is the same as many who came after you except for those who planned poorly. Almost forgot, you're working now at another job? Of course between that and your retirement income you have more disposable income.

rickyb

The poor planning? My mistake was quitting and getting rehired. But what they did to me after I returned was what they were doing to tens of thousands. What kind of retirement would you have if you didn't have your traditional pension? What if your traditional pension was based on $15hr or less when it was terminated? instead of the $20hr+ you enjoyed? What if you came on after all new hires were put on the portable pension? And your contributions to it were 5% based on $14hr with 2% annual raises? Or the people who only have a 401k now with no pension and raises being slow walked? Enjoy your retirement, you earned it. But don't assume your experience is the same as many who came after you except for those who planned poorly. Almost forgot, you're working now at another job? Of course between that and your retirement income you have more disposable income.
capitalism my friend

vantexan

capitalism my friend
As I've heard many times over the years it's the worst economic system out there except for every other economic system. Believing we can all have great lives with minimal effort is a fantasy. And I for one don't want to experience long lines and empty shelves just to prove that's so.

rickyb

As I've heard many times over the years it's the worst economic system out there except for every other economic system. Believing we can all have great lives with minimal effort is a fantasy. And I for one don't want to experience long lines and empty shelves just to prove that's so.
well you do experience empty shelves lol

theres better systems

im sure you will hear about other systems on twitter its much better than corporate news

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Van, let me preface what I’m going to say by saying that I like you and I’m sure you’re a nice guy. BUT, from what I’ve seen on here, you have a bad habit of blaming everyone around you but yourself for your misfortune. You are the one who chose to quit FedEx multiple times then blaming management and the company for why you are doing poorly right now. You were a single man with no children most of your life. How is it that you were unable to put money aside for retirement? I was a single mother for a long time, mostly not getting child support. I still made sure to put money into a 401k even though there were times my electricity was briefly turned off due to lack of funds. Please don’t take this as me thinking I’m any better than you, but I had to make very hard choices, including staying with the same company and working 6 days a week for years, to ensure my children were taken care of.

Yes, I have a pension because I stuck with the job, in good times and bad times. My pension pays my bills. The only reason I’m working a full time job right now is for insurance and extra money. I still have my 401k sitting until I need it. My Social Security will come later too. I also have disposable income because I don’t have losers mooching off me. My children are responsible for themselves because I raised them that way.

Face it, you didn’t do much long term planning. I survived while also planning. I also moved a lot, but I made sure I kept the security of the same job. I’m not knocking you for traveling around and living different places. I actually wish I had the balls to do that, but I don’t.