Well....I had my local level hearing.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
C'mon Heff, he said rain was in the forecast.
When do we ever know how long a DR package is going to sit there?
Pretty sure that the methods say we are to bag any package that could be subject to weather.
On an OJS ride you do all of the methods, cutting no corners.
After all they are trying to establish a demonstrated level of preformance to hold you to for the future.
That being said, I've seen a lot of holes in his story, but bagging his DR stops isn't one of them.

GO READ HIS 10,000 WORD POST AGAIN

The sup told him it wasn't going to rain today, but the OP was bagging some packages anyways
We keep packages "out of weather" WHEN "weather" is happening, not when its sunny and a bird can poo on it !

Sick of Intimidation

GO READ HIS 10,000 WORD POST AGAIN

The sup told him it wasn't going to rain today, but the OP was bagging some packages anyways
We keep packages "out of weather" WHEN "weather" is happening, not when its sunny and a bird can poo on it !

Brother Heff, the rules may be different in your district, but in ours, you bag packages if they're subject to weather. My sup is not a meteorologist.

Re-Raise

This is some of the best fiction I have read in some time---right on par with my favorite author, John Grisham. It has it all--adultery, deception, lies, backstabbing, more lies, flashbacks, foreshadowing--I can hardly put it down.

I agree. But I believe it, with maybe a little embellishment here and there.

It is interesting that he is so patient on here with our responses but is so confrontational at work.

Sick of Intimidation

I agree. But I believe it, with maybe a little embelishment here and there.

It is interesting that he is so patient on here with our responses but is so confrontational at work.

I have the longest fuse and am a very patient person. I've only been confrontational with this paticular center manager and the OJS. I don't have a problem with any of the other sups.

beentheredonethat

.... He then starts to ask me safety questions while we're driving and I asked him whether this was a performance ride or safety ride and his answer was both. It's what we call a blended ride-safety and performance. I told him, i'd never heard of such a ride and wasn't comfortable answering safety questions while being focused on performance and that i'm not refusing to answer the safety questions and would be glad to stop the car and answer any questions if we code it off for safety..... and asked me if i'd take my break back at the bld'g. I told him i'd consider it, but I don't really like taking my 10 minute paid break at the center. .......... We get to 7/11, I go to grab my wallet and there is an NDA we had picked up about 7 hours earlier that we'd both forgotten about, so I tell him we gotta go catch the air shuttle. ..... He gets out and calls a pt sup over. The pt sup comes over and my OJS says I want you to witness me giving him a direct order to back his truck into the bld'g, take his break on road, then put in his RTB time after his break is up and then punch out. ............. He hands me the keys and tells me to back the truck into the bldg. I'm about 40-50 feet away from my normal spot so I wasn't gonna unecessarily back up that far, so I went forward, pulled out around 2 parked cars in the lot and pulled back in so I could do my sight-side back, I then backed my car into the bld'g and shut it off and punched out for break. I ended up going to take a piss and when I came back out, my steward pulled in from his route. I still had several minutes of break left, so I went out to ask him if the sup could order me to not get fuel when our center manager always tells us to fuel up at night. He told me yes and that the sup is just a dick when he's on a performance ride, trust me, i've had plenty from him. All of a sudden, the sup comes out and tells me my break is up, I look at my diad and it shows I have a minute left, so tell him I have aminute left. He then gets all red in the face and tells my steward that were gonna have a talk. My break was up so I go back in the center and during the 10 min. break a car washer had backed in a car right next to the passenger side of my car. I hadn't yet post tripped my truck so I jumped in the drivers seat to get my dvir, and I started the truck so I could pull to the left a little bit so i'd be able to give the passenger side a lookover............. He says YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO POST TRIP YOUR TRUCK AT YOUR LAST STOP OR WHILE YOU'RE FUELING YOUR CAR.

I edited this for brevity... but there's still a lot here. Most people agree that there's usually three sides to an argument, yours, his and then there's the truth somewhere in the middle. Well, after distilling down your last two posts and taking only your words let's see where we stand.

1. He asks safety questions during what he calls a blended ride. By your questioning you've had safety rides and have answered safety questions while driving, but here you refuse to do as your supv asked. You instead will do so only with your conditions. Here's a hint.. you're not the boss. You do as instructed so long as it's not illegal or unsafe. Asking safety questions is not unsafe or illegal. You can't dictate your own terms on an OJS ride. You're job is to be a service provider and to be safe and productive at the same time each day, so it's not as if you can be only one or the other. If you think it is incorrect, you can always grieve it later.

2. He asked you to take break back at building. This is within your contractual rights of when to take break. Instead of just saying Yes I will, or no I won't.. you have to play games and say I'll think about it. Nothing wrong... just something to get him upset.

3. You mention the NDA you had both forgotten about. He's the OJS supervisor at that point. The package is your responsibility, and you came close to missing service on the pkg because you forgot about it, and luckily found it while taking a break. Fortunately you caught it, but that's part of a progressive turnin knowing what you have for pickups and when you have to make the air meet points.

4. While back at building he pulls another supv over to witness a direct order. Seems to me he did that since you have a habit of not following his directions immediately, which you freely admitted to earlier. I find it hard to believe he would do that if this wasn't past practice on your part.

5. Post tripping... when the supv instructed you to back in...take break and punch out. You should have done the post trip immediately. You and he both know it should be done on last stop or fueling. But you had planned on fueling and that hadn't happened, so you should have done it immediately thereafter vs needing to get back in car again to fill out DVIR. Also, immediately after there would have been no issues with other cars blocking you.

I'm not saying the supv was perfect, and according to you he was far from it.... but all I know about him is what you said which may or may not be correct. If he said I held doors open for you to speed you up, or if he said I took the key off the key ring and placed in bulkhead lock then I would chastise him for doing things outside of the methods. But I'm just using your own words and pointing out where you weren't 100% in the right. At best what you said is 100% right and you still show some lapses in judgement.
I've had bosses in mgmt that I totally disagreed with and were wrong (in my opinion).. But at same time I had to realize he's the boss, I do what he says. I wouldn't if it is illegal or unethical or unsafe etc. But if he made a bad decision, as a mgmt person I'd suggest an alternative, but if he said just do it.. I just did it. As an hourly, you need to understand what your job responsibilities are, and to work as directed. If you don't like it.. Opt into mgmt and get promoted to the point you can make a change. If you don't want to do that.. Then do what you are instructed to do. WORK AS DIRECTED.

brownrod

Wrong! They take ALL the attention away from the rest of us!!!

I guess having a driver like this in your center is great. He makes the rest of us no good, time stealing slugs look like angels.

OP, learn to work as directed. Unless it's ilegal, unsafe or dishonest its not worth your time to put up such a fight.
Continue down this path and they will get rid of you for good.
it's clear they don't like you. And you seem to give them plenty reason not to.

I bet if you kept your mouth shut for a day and WAD you would be closer to scratching on your route!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just do your job the best you can and let everything else fall into place.

Management stops harrassing when ( 1) an employee gives up the fight and decides to be agreeable/ non-confrontational and the "good soldier". Nothing worse than an employee who is happy and unaffected despite harrassment and grief. which in turn upsets management more, until they move onto someone else or (2) gives up the fight and becomes a more typical victim of abuse and passive-aggressive/subdued. These are the ones that do not last because they typically do not care about performance or their jobs or what happens to them.

I choose #1.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
SOI, there are 4 words that you need to get in your head and remember at all times. WORK FIRST, GRIEVE LATER. The boss is the boss is the boss. Do what you are told to do (as long as it is not a safety or legal issue), if you want to keep your job.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Management stops harrassing when ( 1) an employee gives up the fight and decides to be agreeable/ non-confrontational and the "good soldier". Nothing worse than an employee who is happy and unaffected despite harrassment and grief. which in turn upsets management more, until they move onto someone else or (2) gives up the fight and becomes a more typical victim of abuse and passive-aggressive/subdued. These are the ones that do not last because they typically do not care about performance or their jobs or what happens to them.

I choose #1.
Sleeve is right. There are ways to stand your ground and not be confrontational about it. #1 is the greivance procedure. Let them make the mistakes. Follow it with a grievance if so indicated. You can't fire them for Art. 37 but they damn sure can fire you for it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have the longest fuse and am a very patient person. I've only been confrontational with this paticular center manager and the OJS. I don't have a problem with any of the other sups.

You do realize that it only takes one sup to lose your job? Just asking...........................................

SWORDFISH

I
1. He asks safety questions during what he calls a blended ride. By your questioning you've had safety rides and have answered safety questions while driving, but here you refuse to do as your supv asked. You instead will do so only with your conditions. Here's a hint.. you're not the boss. You do as instructed so long as it's not illegal or unsafe. Asking safety questions is not unsafe or illegal. You can't dictate your own terms on an OJS ride. You're job is to be a service provider and to be safe and productive at the same time each day, so it's not as if you can be only one or the other. If you think it is incorrect, you can always grieve it later.

I disagree, you dont have to do those questions while driving. Its called distracted driving. Its UNSAFE

2. He asked you to take break back at building. This is within your contractual rights of when to take break. Instead of just saying Yes I will, or no I won't.. you have to play games and say I'll think about it. Nothing wrong... just something to get him upset.

This is not allowed or contractual in my area. Our break is to be taken out on the road and its scheduled before the end of the day.

3. You mention the NDA you had both forgotten about. He's the OJS supervisor at that point. The package is your responsibility, and you came close to missing service on the pkg because you forgot about it, and luckily found it while taking a break. Fortunately you caught it, but that's part of a progressive turnin knowing what you have for pickups and when you have to make the air meet points.

+1

4. While back at building he pulls another supv over to witness a direct order. Seems to me he did that since you have a habit of not following his directions immediately, which you freely admitted to earlier. I find it hard to believe he would do that if this wasn't past practice on your part.

+1

5. Post tripping... when the supv instructed you to back in...take break and punch out. You should have done the post trip immediately. You and he both know it should be done on last stop or fueling. But you had planned on fueling and that hadn't happened, so you should have done it immediately thereafter vs needing to get back in car again to fill out DVIR. Also, immediately after there would have been no issues with other cars blocking you.

+1 Was it really that big of a deal? His supe never instructed him when to pretrip.

I'm not saying the supv was perfect, and according to you he was far from it.... but all I know about him is what you said which may or may not be correct. If he said I held doors open for you to speed you up, or if he said I took the key off the key ring and placed in bulkhead lock then I would chastise him for doing things outside of the methods. But I'm just using your own words and pointing out where you weren't 100% in the right. At best what you said is 100% right and you still show some lapses in judgement.
I've had bosses in mgmt that I totally disagreed with and were wrong (in my opinion).. But at same time I had to realize he's the boss, I do what he says. I wouldn't if it is illegal or unethical or unsafe etc. But if he made a bad decision, as a mgmt person I'd suggest an alternative, but if he said just do it.. I just did it. As an hourly, you need to understand what your job responsibilities are, and to work as directed. If you don't like it.. Opt into mgmt and get promoted to the point you can make a change. If you don't want to do that.. Then do what you are instructed to do. WORK AS DIRECTED.

+1

SWORDFISH

I choose #1.

SOI, there are 4 words that you need to get in your head and remember at all times. WORK FIRST, GRIEVE LATER. The boss is the boss is the boss. Do what you are told to do (as long as it is not a safety or legal issue), if you want to keep your job.

More words of wisdom.

SWORDFISH

SOI, here are my questions:
1. " I worked my route for a few more weeks until a bid coverage spot opened up." What is this and does it mean your laid off when the people arent on vacation? Also whether your trained or not for a bid position means nothing. How do you think one learns a position?

2. The gas issue. I would have not got gas and made sure that it was witnessed because it sounds like you have a big mileage route and you may have to get gas in the middle of you NDA the next day. So if it makes you late then you have a witness that your supe wouldnt allow you to the day before.

3. Big issue not asked about yet for me is the p/ups issue. Seems that you got back to your building w/ a NDA at 1945 and it wasnt late(WOW!). Not to mention that your p/ups also came in at that time and they were not late either. You then took 10min break and still your truck hadnt been unloaded(Im assuming this because you were moving your truck around). So at like 2000 your truck is still full of p/ups. Do you guys teleport your packages from one place to another? I have to be to the airport by 1700 to make the plane. I have to be back to the building by 1900 w/ my p/ups.

4. You punched out for 1min and delivered a package and were instructed to do so? This is a major no-no and should work in your favor. If my boss did that they would probably hand him a pink slip right then and their. Should be big ammo for you.

5. Why at the end of the day did you punch out for your paid break? Thats an oxymoron and not the cleaner. Doesnt make sense to punch out for a paid break.

6. Lastly I saw no lunch time in your day besides the 1min you said you were going to do to get the package delivered?

7. Was the last firing for pretripping your truck before you punched out? I dont understand what it is for.

beentheredonethat

This is not allowed or contractual in my area. Our break is to be taken out on the road and its scheduled before the end of the day.

Swordfish... I think we both agree on this.. I wasn't too clear in my post apparently. My point is if the supv asks you to take break later. He could have said No.. I'm taking break per the contract. He could have said yes. But to answer with an I'll see or a maybe is just dumb. Not wrong.. just dumb. Why provoke the person who is already clearly upset. Just say Yes or say No don't do the maybe we'll see stuff.