Well....I had my local level hearing.

beentheredonethat

1. He asks safety questions during what he calls a blended ride. By your questioning you've had safety rides and have answered safety questions while driving, but here you refuse to do as your supv asked. You instead will do so only with your conditions. Here's a hint.. you're not the boss. You do as instructed so long as it's not illegal or unsafe. Asking safety questions is not unsafe or illegal. You can't dictate your own terms on an OJS ride. You're job is to be a service provider and to be safe and productive at the same time each day, so it's not as if you can be only one or the other. If you think it is incorrect, you can always grieve it later.

I disagree, you dont have to do those questions while driving. Its called distracted driving. Its UNSAFE

Swordfish... The OP stated he didn't feel comfortable doing both a safety and production ride. In many districts asking questions such as what vehicles are to the passenger side of you.. what vehicle is behind you etc.. is to audit to ensure the driver has an awareness of his surroundings. This is done often in many districts. He didn't indicate feeling unsafe to do just this. The OP didn't want to do both. This isn't his call. Let's assume for a minute I'm right..past practice has held and driver's own statement indicating such type of conversation is legit and safe in this person's area. If true.. He should answer the questions and do is directed. Can we agree on that? If I'm wrong.... and it's not past practice, and the driver feels totally unsafe and he didn't put the wording in such a way that he's done it before. Then if all that is true.. he can not do and bring it to his steward \BA and this type of conversation in the vehicle can be discussed. However, IMO it would be hard to argue that since you'd have to show how unsafe that is and that a driver couldn't do anything and ever t/w another person in the same vehicle at any time (personal or work) since it would be unsafe......

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm from the Great Lakes District. The weather here can go from sunny one hour to pouring rain the next. I probably used 3 bags all day and yes, I was following my methods. Who's to say that the consignees are on vacation, so why not bag the package to make sure. We have drivers in our center who bag every package if it will fit in a DR bag. Thanks for your opinion.
I live in Florida, the spontaneous rain capitol, and I don't bag every pkg. You have more excuses than.....You don't really want to work here, do you?

There is something fundamentally unfair (as well as self-delusional) about a poster who loudly and repeatedly claims to have me on his "ignore" list....yet at the same time continues to selectively respond to, and be offended by, what I post here.

It is comforting, however, to know that our forum has a genuine "Internet Psychologist" on board, who is qualified to diagnose mental illnesses and make predictions of future criminal behavior, based solely upon what they read in another members posts.
I vote Tie Guy and Sober to share a cabin on the next Brown Cafe cruise. I think their cabin should be adjoined to Dilli and Klein. Now there's a double date I'd like to see.

GO READ HIS 10,000 WORD POST AGAIN

The sup told him it wasn't going to rain today, but the OP was bagging some packages anyways
We keep packages "out of weather" WHEN "weather" is happening, not when its sunny and a bird can poo on it !
Quite the diatribe, eh?

I've read so many posts here where people don't give enough information or leave out facts. I didn't wanna do that. I wan't to tell everything and give all the facts.:happy2:
You want to tell everything and give all of "your facts".

I have the longest fuse and am a very patient person. I've only been confrontational with this paticular center manager and the OJS. I don't have a problem with any of the other sups.
But God forbid that your supe, or any other for that matter, have bad breath, a hair out of place or a booger hanging from their nose. You would just blast them with your "great" sense of humor. It sounds to me like everything is fine in your world, until someone disagrees with you.

Sick of Intimidation

I edited this for brevity... but there's still a lot here. Most people agree that there's usually three sides to an argument, yours, his and then there's the truth somewhere in the middle. Well, after distilling down your last two posts and taking only your words let's see where we stand.

1. He asks safety questions during what he calls a blended ride. By your questioning you've had safety rides and have answered safety questions while driving, but here you refuse to do as your supv asked. You instead will do so only with your conditions. Here's a hint.. you're not the boss. You do as instructed so long as it's not illegal or unsafe. Asking safety questions is not unsafe or illegal. You can't dictate your own terms on an OJS ride. You're job is to be a service provider and to be safe and productive at the same time each day, so it's not as if you can be only one or the other. If you think it is incorrect, you can always grieve it later. Like I stated, i'd never heard of a blended ride before and it took me off-guard. My previous OJS would ask you the questions while you were walking up drives, not while you were driving and that's what i've been used to. Many other drivers in my center will NOT answer safety questions while driving. It is a distraction.

2. He asked you to take break back at building. This is within your contractual rights of when to take break. Instead of just saying Yes I will, or no I won't.. you have to play games and say I'll think about it. Nothing wrong... just something to get him upset.

I will agree that I should have been more definitive and just simply told him NO, i'm taking it on road away from the center.

3. You mention the NDA you had both forgotten about. He's the OJS supervisor at that point. The package is your responsibility, and you came close to missing service on the pkg because you forgot about it, and luckily found it while taking a break. Fortunately you caught it, but that's part of a progressive turnin knowing what you have for pickups and when you have to make the air meet points.

I agree completely. My only defense to this is that I had picked it up around 7 hours, 85 stops, and 150 miles earlier in the day, but it is ultimately my responsibility.

4. While back at building he pulls another supv over to witness a direct order. Seems to me he did that since you have a habit of not following his directions immediately, which you freely admitted to earlier. I find it hard to believe he would do that if this wasn't past practice on your part.

I agree to disagree on this point. I feel that he knew this would upset me since i'd just got done explaining to him why I had to fuel up at night and he agreed. Not fueling up would also reduce time thus making our performance look better. I will agree that on occasion, I havent jumped immediately after being ordered to, but we aren't in the military.

5. Post tripping... when the supv instructed you to back in...take break and punch out. You should have done the post trip immediately. You and he both know it should be done on last stop or fueling. But you had planned on fueling and that hadn't happened, so you should have done it immediately thereafter vs needing to get back in car again to fill out DVIR. Also, immediately after there would have been no issues with other cars blocking you.

You're right, but I couldn't believe what he was pulling and all I could think about was having a late air the next morning. I take much pride in delivering my premium service pkg's on time. I was driving a new 5-cube with the rear double sliders so doing the post trip in the bld'g normally wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm not saying the supv was perfect, and according to you he was far from it.... but all I know about him is what you said which may or may not be correct. If he said I held doors open for you to speed you up, or if he said I took the key off the key ring and placed in bulkhead lock then I would chastise him for doing things outside of the methods. But I'm just using your own words and pointing out where you weren't 100% in the right. At best what you said is 100% right and you still show some lapses in judgement.
I've had bosses in mgmt that I totally disagreed with and were wrong (in my opinion).. But at same time I had to realize he's the boss, I do what he says. I wouldn't if it is illegal or unethical or unsafe etc. But if he made a bad decision, as a mgmt person I'd suggest an alternative, but if he said just do it.. I just did it. As an hourly, you need to understand what your job responsibilities are, and to work as directed. If you don't like it.. Opt into mgmt and get promoted to the point you can make a change. If you don't want to do that.. Then do what you are instructed to do. WORK AS DIRECTED.

I agree, i'm not perfect and did have some lapse in judgement. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a lapse in judgement after working so many hours day in and day out. This OJS carries master keys on his ring. The week after I was terminated, I was told that he was involved in 2 separate altercations with another driver because he gave said driver a direct order to take his paid break while he was fueling the car and the driver refused.

I guess having a driver like this in your center is great. He makes the rest of us no good, time stealing slugs look like angels.

OP, learn to work as directed. Unless it's ilegal, unsafe or dishonest its not worth your time to put up such a fight.
Continue down this path and they will get rid of you for good.
it's clear they don't like you. And you seem to give them plenty reason not to.

Good advice. This is the kind of constructive criticism i'm looking for.

I bet if you kept your mouth shut for a day and WAD you would be closer to scratching on your route!

Wouldn't happen. The drivers from our center have been asking for re-loops and time studies for years to no avail. 90% of my subordinates are over allowed while we have 2 guys that avg. an hour of bonus and 2 guys that avg. 2-2.5 hours of bonus daily.

Just do your job the best you can and let everything else fall into place.

Management stops harrassing when ( 1) an employee gives up the fight and decides to be agreeable/ non-confrontational and the "good soldier". Nothing worse than an employee who is happy and unaffected despite harrassment and grief. which in turn upsets management more, until they move onto someone else or (2) gives up the fight and becomes a more typical victim of abuse and passive-aggressive/subdued. These are the ones that do not last because they typically do not care about performance or their jobs or what happens to them.

I choose #1.

Good advice. I've tried everything I know to get along with this center manager, but like I said, we are like fire and ice. A coworker gave me some good advice and that was when you get to work in the morning, as you're walking in, prepare yourself to enter that bldg knowing that our center manager is gonna say something smart assed and stupid just to try and get underneath your skin.

SOI, there are 4 words that you need to get in your head and remember at all times. WORK FIRST, GRIEVE LATER. The boss is the boss is the boss. Do what you are told to do (as long as it is not a safety or legal issue), if you want to keep your job.

Good advice I can't deny.

And the center manager's pet?

Lol, yeppy. It was tough on all of us. He was a 22-23 year well liked sup. who ended up losing his wife and children because the pet was shakin her ass in front of him all the time.

Sleeve is right. There are ways to stand your ground and not be confrontational about it. #1 is the greivance procedure. Let them make the mistakes. Follow it with a grievance if so indicated. You can't fire them for Art. 37 but they damn sure can fire you for it.

True words that i've found out the hard way. What's strange to me is that after I came back from the first termination, I wasn't ever brought into the office until the last day of this 2nd termination. No progressive discipline whatsoever. I was terminated for what took place with the OJS and suddenly 2 other times that weren't ever discussed or disciplined for.

You do realize that it only takes one sup to lose your job? Just asking...........................................

Yes dilligaf, I had that one figured out!!

P

pickup

I've got about 2,500 posts and I never figured out how to do multi quotes like sick of intimidation obviously has. I feel dumber than ever.:dissapointed:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Far right hand corner--quote + --- hit that for every post that you wish to quote---hit reply with quote for the post that you want to appear first in your post.

He does seem awfully familiar with this site (BBAG?).

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
His inability to find compassion towards his employees when they have pretty harsh things going on in their lives is enough for me to form my judgement of him.

I know it will come as surprise to p man but the majority of center and division level management have this same attitude.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've got about 2,500 posts and I never figured out how to do multi quotes like sick of intimidation obviously has. I feel dumber than ever.:dissapointed:

LOL Pickup. :happy2: Next to the "reply with quote" is "+. This is the one you want to use. Click it for all the quotes you want to reply to and then hit your "reply with quote". :happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree, i'm not perfect and did have some lapse in judgement. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a lapse in judgement after working so many hours day in and day out. This OJS carries master keys on his ring. The week after I was terminated, I was told that he was involved in 2 separate altercations with another driver because he gave said driver a direct order to take his paid break while he was fueling the car and the driver refused.

Wouldn't happen. The drivers from our center have been asking for re-loops and time studies for years to no avail. 90% of my subordinates are over allowed while we have 2 guys that avg. an hour of bonus and 2 guys that avg. 2-2.5 hours of bonus daily.

Good advice. I've tried everything I know to get along with this center manager, but like I said, we are like fire and ice. A coworker gave me some good advice and that was when you get to work in the morning, as you're walking in, prepare yourself to enter that bldg knowing that our center manager is gonna say something smart assed and stupid just to try and get underneath your skin.

Good advice I can't deny.

Lol, yeppy. It was tough on all of us. He was a 22-23 year well liked sup. who ended up losing his wife and children because the pet was shakin her ass in front of him all the time.

True words that i've found out the hard way. What's strange to me is that after I came back from the first termination, I wasn't ever brought into the office until the last day of this 2nd termination. No progressive discipline whatsoever. I was terminated for what took place with the OJS and suddenly 2 other times that weren't ever discussed or disciplined for.

Yes dilligaf, I had that one figured out!!
More excuses and this time you even make excuses for the 22-23 year supe. He gets no blame at all for leaving his wife and children for the girl that kept shaking her rump in front of him. Not his fault at all, right? Funny little world you have going on here. Nothing YOU do is wrong and everyone else is to blame.

No need to feel dumb, SOI has had lots of practice.

Sick of Intimidation

SOI, here are my questions:
1. " I worked my route for a few more weeks until a bid coverage spot opened up." What is this and does it mean your laid off when the people arent on vacation? Also whether your trained or not for a bid position means nothing. How do you think one learns a position?

We have 3 bid coverage positions in our center. You go in and see who's on vacation the following week and then you bid verbally what route/job you want. I bid off my bid route and was the highest of the 3 bid coverage people. If nobody is on vacation, the sup. will assign you to a route that doesn't have a bid driver.

2. The gas issue. I would have not got gas and made sure that it was witnessed because it sounds like you have a big mileage route and you may have to get gas in the middle of you NDA the next day. So if it makes you late then you have a witness that your supe wouldnt allow you to the day before.

Yes, the route I was doing is a 160-200 mile route. The first stop of the day is the biggest stop on the outskirts of the city limits. You usually arrive at this stop at 9:30 and don't finish until 9;45. Once you get out to the main area, there isn't any diesel available at the fuel stations so you would have to fuel up in town and if so, it only leaves you 30-45 minutes to make your 10:30's.

3. Big issue not asked about yet for me is the p/ups issue. Seems that you got back to your building w/ a NDA at 1945 and it wasnt late(WOW!). Not to mention that your p/ups also came in at that time and they were not late either. You then took 10min break and still your truck hadnt been unloaded(Im assuming this because you were moving your truck around). So at like 2000 your truck is still full of p/ups. Do you guys teleport your packages from one place to another? I have to be to the airport by 1700 to make the plane. I have to be back to the building by 1900 w/ my p/ups.

We made it back to the ctr at 19:30. Our NDA shuttle leaves at 1930-1940. Our ground doesn't leave until 2045-2130. We don't teleport yet, but it will probably be within the next decade!!

4. You punched out for 1min and delivered a package and were instructed to do so? This is a major no-no and should work in your favor. If my boss did that they would probably hand him a pink slip right then and their. Should be big ammo for you.

We are a loosely regulated center for lunch. We are req'd to take a minimum of 20 minutes lunch and it can be any combo of. I usually take 10min 2 times during the day and then my 10min paid break at the end of my deliveries. The sup. downplayed this at the local level. He didn't wanna talk about the fact that he ordered me not to reattempt an NDA pkg. It didn't really come into play as a reason.

5. Why at the end of the day did you punch out for your paid break? Thats an oxymoron and not the cleaner. Doesnt make sense to punch out for a paid break.

You're right. I should have used the words-coded off my paid break. In our center we're supposed to show that you took it by coding off paid break in the other work screen.

6. Lastly I saw no lunch time in your day besides the 1min you said you were going to do to get the package delivered?

On this day, I took 10 minutes early in the day, 1 minute to re-attempt the NDA, 9 minutes later on, and then the paid break back at the center.

7. Was the last firing for pretripping your truck before you punched out? I dont understand what it is for.

Insubordination, threatening language, and illegal content/bribery with a customer. And I wasn't terminated till 2 days after the OJS ride. Our(drivers) theory is that the next morning the OJS came into work and saw that we were just shy of a buck over so he had to come up with a damn good reason why. Like I stated earlier, this guy is so concerned about having his position eliminated that he had to come up with something, so he claims I swore at him just before punching out, which I absolutely positively did not. He had sworn at me by saying SHUT THE ****ING TRUCK OFF NOW. Then he made a big deal about the joking around at the tractor dealership and finally went and made a statement about a disagreement we had had my second week back on the job that wasn't an issue then but now it was. And finally the whole incident in the PCM with the comments about the dog and the center manager. MY center manager thought it was funny when it happened, but all of a sudden that had hurt his feelings now.

Sick of Intimidation

I understand it took both to tango and I don't condone his behavior anymore than hers. I just can't believe he cheated on his beautiful wife to sleep with the shop whore skank at work.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Far right hand corner--quote + --- hit that for every post that you wish to quote---hit reply with quote for the post that you want to appear first in your post.

Hmmmmm?

Insubordination, threatening language, and illegal content/bribery with a customer. And I wasn't terminated till 2 days after the OJS ride. Our(drivers) theory is that the next morning the OJS came into work and saw that we were just shy of a buck over so he had to come up with a damn good reason why. Like I stated earlier, this guy is so concerned about having his position eliminated that he had to come up with something, so he claims I swore at him just before punching out, which I absolutely positively did not. He had sworn at me by saying SHUT THE ****ING TRUCK OFF NOW. Then he made a big deal about the joking around at the tractor dealership and finally went and made a statement about a disagreement we had had my second week back on the job that wasn't an issue then but now it was. And finally the whole incident in the PCM with the comments about the dog and the center manager. MY center manager thought it was funny when it happened, but all of a sudden that had hurt his feelings now.
Anyone here know how to play this thing?

I have a solution to your problem. If you would......well, I guess you won't listen to me either, so good luck, and be careful because those fryer's can get extremely hot.

Sick of Intimidation

Hmmmmm?

Anyone here know how to play this thing?

I have a solution to your problem. If you would......well, I guess you won't listen to me either, so good luck, and be careful because those fryer's can get extremely hot.

I have to admit, that's pretty funny right there. I won't be working at a fryer. I'm actually thinking i'll take a couple years off and travel on my new motorcycle. Maybe i'll just retire early:happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have to admit, that's pretty funny right there. I won't be working at a fryer. I'm actually thinking i'll take a couple years off and travel on my new motorcycle. Maybe i'll just retire early:happy2:
Retirement is something you do when you have a job. It seems like you don't hold any of your actions to blame for any of your misfortune. I believe that until you open your eyes and see that you MUST be to blame for something, you may stop progressing in life.

P

pickup

Thank you.

LOL Pickup. :happy2: Next to the "reply with quote" is "+. This is the one you want to use. Click it for all the quotes you want to reply to and then hit your "reply with quote". :happy-very:

Thank you as well. Believe it or not, I needed both of your posts to make this happen.

P

pickup

Maybe you can hook up with klein! :wink2:

Easy rider teams up with Free rider?????

Maybe Klein and this guy can buy a van and travel the U.S.A and solve mysteries ,sort of like the Hardy boys or in the this case, the Hardly Working boys. Maybe in between solving mysteries , they can travel to where oil slicks have hit the shoreline and they can clean off the oil of some birds and then later have a chicken dinner and not even see the contradictions in their actions.