Well....I had my local level hearing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
WOW, what a tuff crowd. Personally, I don't find this story so hard to believe. Granted, I think some of SOI's problems are self procured but not all of them. I have witnessed this kind of persecution before with other drivers. I have, myself, been the recipient of intimidation efforts, just not as many in a row.
In the good ole days, when ya got a center manager like this one, all ya had to do was wait them out and they would be gone (for whatever reason). Today, the mass movement of CMs is not a hopeful option.
I've met you in real life and whatever problem you had with mgmt, I believe, would be the normal problems we all have. This OP comes off as arrogant and selfish, IMO, and contunues to proclaim his/her righteousness in all of the posts. I know that some mgmt people are total imbicile's, but it takes two to tango!

CRASH501

What a lovely way of putting things. You've got a great way with words, sober.

This is not always the case, Upstate. Your mgmt team has the labor guys ear. They can tell him what ever they want, even stuff that's not in the record. I had our labor guy snarling at me before I even entered the room. He really got pissed when I spoke to him like he was just another one of the guys. You may be able to brow beat some of the guys, but I don't play that game. You're no better/higher than I am, is the way I feel about this fellow.

I forgot to add that this will probably end up being emailed to this gentleman at some point, because I guess you're not allowed to state your honest opinion on the internet. Come and get me boys!

AWESOME and

so true

I've met you in real life and whatever problem you had with mgmt, I believe, would be the normal problems we all have. This OP comes off as arrogant and selfish, IMO, and contunues to proclaim his/her righteousness in all of the posts. I know that some mgmt people are total imbicile's, but it takes two to tango!
You are correct Steve, most of the problems I had with management were not uncommon and were usually settled fairly easily. The OP (if as honest in his report as I think he is) has clearly became a target for his center manager because of all the time he was off work. Concerning that, my question for the center manager would be. "how much trouble was it for your team to replace this driver during his absence?". If they had to struggle to cover his area day in and day out, then yea it's a problem. However if they had plenty of swing drivers to cover his area, not such a problem, but more of an opportunity to get rid of a long time driver. I think we all know what reasons the company might use to target a veteran driver for termination.
Is SOI's story totally true? Hell if I know, no one else here knows either. Is SOI's story slanted to make him look as innocent as possible? Of course it is, anyone else's would be too.
I witnessed a targeted driver that the company wanted gone so badly that any manager that fired him and it didn't stick was transferred out within weeks of him getting his job back. There were two CMs brought in expressly to get this guy FIRED FOR GOOD. So, yea I know full well that some management will in fact target certain drivers. The guy I am talking about was at one time a great driver that the company loved to keep loading stops on because. " He'll do em and not bitch" ( heard it said by managers and PT sups more than once". At a point the driver broke and stopped being the shinny spot in the center manager's eye and became an "example" of what happens to drivers that don't buckle down. It took them five years, five CMs (two in a six moth span) to get this guy terminated for good. During part of this time I was a non-union clerk in the office and heard things not intended for union ears, plus I was pretty close friends with a couple of the PT sups as well as a couple of OCSs , a center manager and a division Manager. I saw a part of UPS that was NOT pretty. BTW, they finally got him, after about 7 years of trying.

LOL< I also knew a driver that was written up for over 100 ( yes, hundred) violations of safe driving on ONE safety ride. Tell me there was no target on her back.

I truly think the OP needs to learn which battles to fight and which ones are better left to let ride.

Sick of Intimidation

You are correct Steve, most of the problems I had with management were not uncommon and were usually settled fairly easily. The OP (if as honest in his report as I think he is) has clearly became a target for his center manager because of all the time he was off work. Concerning that, my question for the center manager would be. "how much trouble was it for your team to replace this driver during his absence?". If they had to struggle to cover his area day in and day out, then yea it's a problem. However if they had plenty of swing drivers to cover his area, not such a problem, but more of an opportunity to get rid of a long time driver. I think we all know what reasons the company might use to target a veteran driver for termination.

My motorcycle accident occurred in October 08'. To my knowledge it wasn't a problem covering my route since we normally have a couple drivers on call that time of year. Obviously, I notified the company that I was facing several months of physical therapy so I would think that would've given them enough time to train an extra driver for peak season. After peak our center normally has 5 or 6 drivers on call until April and I was able to come back to work in late April or early May 09'.

Is SOI's story totally true? Hell if I know, no one else here knows either. Is SOI's story slanted to make him look as innocent as possible? Of course it is, anyone else's would be too.
I witnessed a targeted driver that the company wanted gone so badly that any manager that fired him and it didn't stick was transferred out within weeks of him getting his job back. There were two CMs brought in expressly to get this guy FIRED FOR GOOD. So, yea I know full well that some management will in fact target certain drivers. The guy I am talking about was at one time a great driver that the company loved to keep loading stops on because. " He'll do em and not bitch" ( heard it said by managers and PT sups more than once". At a point the driver broke and stopped being the shinny spot in the center manager's eye and became an "example" of what happens to drivers that don't buckle down.

Not to toot my own horn, but this sounds a little like me. I caught on quick when I qualified, running bonus on my 2nd day alone. Terrible mistake looking back, because ever since then, my workload has most always contained a few more stops than some of the others. My sups. also used to joke about "loading me up". I understand their position, if I had been in their spot I would've given me more stops too, knowing that the stops would get delivered. However, at some point, it was as if they'd sand-bagged their horse to break him.

For those who don't know what I mean by that, let me explain. Cowboys/ranchers would use this method as a quick way to break a wild horse, whether because they wanted the horse broken quicker or because they felt the horse was just too damn stubborn to break using conventional methods. The horse was tied to a tree and the cowboys would tie several sandbags on it's back and sometimes even tie a couple sandbags together with a length of rope in between and hang the rope over the horses neck. It was torture for the horse and while the method was sometimes effective, most times the horse would never forget the torture bestowed upon him and the horse would have it's spirit broken and never ever work after that.

It took them five years, five CMs (two in a six moth span) to get this guy terminated for good. During part of this time I was a non-union clerk in the office and heard things not intended for union ears, plus I was pretty close friends with a couple of the PT sups as well as a couple of OCSs , a center manager and a division Manager. I saw a part of UPS that was NOT pretty. BTW, they finally got him, after about 7 years of trying.

LOL< I also knew a driver that was written up for over 100 ( yes, hundred) violations of safe driving on ONE safety ride. Tell me there was no target on her back.

I truly think the OP needs to learn which battles to fight and which ones are better left to let ride.

I agree. Maybe they'll let me come back if i agree to have my voicebox removed or agree to wear a muzzle around management and supervision? BTW, anyone wanna give it up for the use of paragraphs above. See, I aim to please.

tomuchdrama

I guess having a driver like this in your center is great. He makes the rest of us no good, time stealing slugs look like angels.

OP, learn to work as directed. Unless it's ilegal, unsafe or dishonest its not worth your time to put up such a fight.
Continue down this path and they will get rid of you for good.
it's clear they don't like you. And you seem to give them plenty reason not to.

I bet if you kept your mouth shut for a day and WAD you would be closer to scratching on your route!
hey this sounds alot like 705red.:peaceful:

ddomino

try to keep a few things in perspective;

(a) the desk-jockeys and paper-wranglers who are on your ass could not possibly live up to the expectations that they are trying to place upon you. They do what they do because they cant do what you do.

(b) they have to justify their jobs. You dont.

(c) at the end of the day, you can look in the mirror and know that you busted your ass and gave 100% for your customers and your company. What to they get to look at in the mirror at the end of the day?

(d) you dont have to screw people over for a living. The softest pillow you can possibly sleep on at night is a clean conscience.

(e) you are the backbone of the company. They are warts on the sphincter.

Once you can embrace these concepts, you can stop being angry at them.... And start feeling sorry for them.

that about says it all

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Let's see a show of hands...I hate polls......(no not Poles) how many here have a gun held to their heads reading this?

So it really wasn't $19.99 plus S&H.......

No it is $19.99, thanks for your business. Upstate stop telling people where they can get it free your killing my business.

:rofl::rofl:I really have got to stop eating and reading at the same time. I almost choked.......................................:wink2: