What happens if contract is voted no?

Indecisi0n

If the contract is voted down, company and union negotiators will sit down at a table in a serene sitting somewhere in the Caribbean and consider carefully the hourlies requests and needs and try really hard to meet their demands. Then head to the beach with some beach babes and Bahama Mama drinks and congratulate themselves on what a fine job they did and extend the contract until after Christmas so as not to interrupt the joy of everyone receiving their gifts we should deliver for the holidays. There was a time when a great philosopher once said "Strike, Strike, Strike." Sounds like a good idea to me.
Will they all be wearing bannana hammocks?

LagunaBrown

you won't show your face on here after the contract is finalized....for 2 reasons

1.). You're wrong

and

2.). You definitely came with TonyQ on the same UPS spaceship that only orbits the browncafe internet forums every four to five years
( a.k.a. Every time a contract comes up for debate )

cuz you and he are just here to propagandize without shame.
Ok so your saying even though voter turnout is pathetic and there is clear language is in the IBT constitution, they will not use it. Oh and we came on a spaceship...... Your advice is amazing! Thank you.

"(2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it."

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Ok so your saying even though voter turnout is pathetic and there is clear language is in the IBT constitution, they will not use it. Oh and we came on a spaceship...... Your advice is amazing! Thank you.

"(2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it."

It's not a final offer and we already took a strike vote

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I haven't heard the words "last and final offer" mentioned in regards to this "tentative agreement"?

~When in the judgment of the negotiating committee
the involved employer has made a final offer of settlement
such negotiating committee shall have the authority,
with the approval of the General Executive Board, to
conduct agreement ratification votes and strike votes on
such area, multi-area, multi-employer, national, company-
wide, industry-wide, or Local Union basis as the committee
shall determine, except that no such final offer
shall be considered to be a contract offer subject to ratification by the membership until it has been reviewed by
the Local Unions which are the bargaining representatives
of the involved members. In the event a strike is
authorized, the said committee shall have the authority,
with the approval of the General Executive Board, to direct
that the strike be conducted on such area, multi-area,
multi-employer, national, company-wide, industry-wide,
Local Union, or such other selective basis as the committee
shall determine. Results of ratification or rejection
votes with respect to master agreements shall be determined
by all involved voting members on a cumulative
basis of all votes cast as follows:~

Only then can this happen:

Do you really think the General Executive Board will be willing to stake their political careers to Hoffa and this contract, knowing there is change coming in 2021?

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Been here 4 years so this is my 1st time voting on a contract. If the purposed one is not accepted, do they re negotiate or strike?
A no vote (by union leadership) should stall the contract through Peak 2018 up until February 2019, you will work under the 2013-2018 contract.

UPS will keep screening new hires as potential permanent employees like they have been doing. Peak hires especially will fall into this category. In the event of threat of a work stoppage. The company/UPS will counter offer with a 'take it or leave it' offer. It will be less than what is out there today and remember the National agreement was just a 'Handshake', almost the worst iron-clad agreement anyone could make. In 1964 this was an honorable way of doing business. Handshakes today equates to a kiss of death.

This is all my opinion, but I honestly believe the Union is not going to let individual members vote or at least use their votes. The union leadership is going to make the ultimate decision. Your future all comes down to the IBT leaders & UPS corporate.

This is the way I see it all panning out.

It's like Trump stating Putin won't interfere in our elections. "We shook on it"

Last edited:

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
In my opinion they will look at it and make a decision. Don't be surprised if UPS says "this is our last, best, and final offer. You don't like this 14,800,000,000 then take you chances.
I take it as their first, horrid and initial offer.

MrBates

You bet your ass I am.

22.4 drivers should make as much as a regular driver (they should start at 18.75, in progression) while delivering all service levels, PERIOD. End of discussion.

According to the agreement, management may increase the percentage of 22.4 jobs based on the needs of the operation. I think this just gives them too much of an incentive to wipe out, over time, RPCD's completely.

My suggestion is to classify 22.4 as a "stepping stone" job only. For a period of time part timers who want to drive can go thru the qualification process and get approved for 22.4. They will continue to do a mix of inside work and driving, with a goal of becoming the next RPCD "awarded" in seniority order. Basically they should get promoted and reclassified as RPCD if the center has a route or split area vacancy.

As far as scheduling, (Mon-Fri, Tues-Sat, Wed-Sun), seniority should get first pick at which schedule they want to work. Simple.

In this scenario, management gets some flexibility on their daily operations, and at the same time the RPCD position is protected by the most important benefit that the teamsters own...Senority....

I would say yes to this IF they also bump the top rate to 47/hour. We need to keep up with inflation.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
He would not hesitate to run UPS into the ground.
So the other small companies that were struck and won are still doing fine, yet a strike of UPS (without even knowing the length) would cripple it into nonexistence? So it’s obvious the intent was never to strike UPS by your statement. And if UPS has no fear of a strike, they win. Great job! I don’t know what to say right now. Thank god a lot of you guys are retiring.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So the other small companies that were struck and won are still doing fine, yet a strike of UPS (without even knowing the length) would cripple it into nonexistence? So it’s obvious the intent was never to strike UPS by your statement. And if UPS has no fear of a strike, they win. Great job! I don’t know what to say right now. Thank god a lot of you guys are retiring.
Could it be it's not UPS and their existence that the IBT is worried about, rather their own?
UPS is their cash cow, making it possible for many small locals, joint councils, and few redundant state conferences to persist, with "autonomy".

What do you think would happen to that Teamster fat if there was a strike of any significant length?