What if UPS went to a

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Everyone is assuming that the new work week would still be Mon-Fri, under the new idea UPS could shift it to Mon-Sat. Thus theses workdays would apply; Mon-Thurs, Tues-Fri, Weds- Sat, Thurs-Mon, Fri-Tues, Sat- Weds.

Any plan that would place more drivers on the active working list would be nixed by UPS due to the cost of benefits. They really don't care if everyone gets to work, all they care about is the numbers.

By "They" I mean UPS Corporation, not individual management personnel.

trouble maker

I would love that. But that's wishful thinking.

Is UPS bizzaro world? Everyone else in these tough economic time have reduced hours below 40 a week and absoulutly no overtime. We in Pkgs. are likely to make more $$$$$ this year than any other. On the upside though at least we haven't had to participate in this recession from money point of view. :happy-very:
It is cheaper for ups to pay overtime than it is to put 2 or 3 more drivers on.

retired2000

dustyroads, why are you still working after 30 years in? if you left the co. another driver would have a full-time job and yo would not have to call in sick 2-3 days aweek

Dustyroads

Retired2000, one reason is that I am too young to retire, and secondly, I really like my job, my route, and my current schedule. Perhaps you don't understand, I don't "call in sick", in fact, I haven't called in sick for a few years. We use fewer drivers on certain days of the week, that is just a fact, so SOMEONE, either me or someone else, will not work on those days.

Frankly, Retired200, I think it's none of your business when I retire. I do excellent work for the company and my customers. I will retire when I choose. You sound too much like a pushy manager we used to have, every time I would see him, he would say, when are you ever going to retire? The answer to him turned out to be, "well after you are long, gone."

over9five

Staff member
Geez, Dustyroads, there's someone else who "sounds like management" cuz' he says something you don't like!

Did he strike a nerve with his suggestion?

Dustyroads

OVER9Five, I don't believe Retired2000, or you, for that matter, has much say in when I choose to retire. We already know what side of the fence you stand, it seems that you are the one that is oversensitive to any reference to management made here.

You know, if everyone, drivers, part timers and management with over 20 years would just take an early retirement and go somewhere else, we could hire a bunch of new people who would do what we tell them and work for a lot less. It would make a lot of room for new people, wouldn't it.

It is MY career after all, not your's, 2000 or over9five, so I will decide when I will conclude it.

robot

Has A Large Member
I use to work a 4-10 shift in feeders. Actually more like a 4-13! I worked Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I had Tuesday through Thursday off. The three days off were nice but working weekends and the paycut were not!!!!

NHDRVR

This was addressed in our center a few different times and it is not financially feasible to use this 'setup' in our company. Numerous reasons why but the primary one that was brought up was the health/welfare money paid out by UPS to any employee that goes on the clock on any given day. A building would have to shift a percentage of drivers around to provide appropriate coverage, so on and so forth, it wouldn't work...

It works in manufacturing plants because it's a controlled environment where output is measured by product.

UPS, on the other hand, measures it's employees by using rulers and fabricated numbers. My numbers are currently on the back of a trolley going to the Land of Make Believe...

ding-ding-ding

retired2000

first off dusty there is no reason to get pissed off because i have retired and you are still working. one other fact is that i was not a sup at anytime, was a union man for 30 years. we have had upsers retire at age 50 so just how old are you if you have 30 years under your belt all ready?

Dustyroads

I'm happy for you if you are happy being retired, 2000, but it's really none of my business how many years you put in, or when or why you chose to retire. It was yours. I'm 53 and a young man. For me, that is too young to retire, I do my job well, and enjoy being at the point in my career where I am, near the top of the list. I work for the best center manager and management team that I've ever seen in my 30 plus years. I drive the best package car in our fleet. My customers love me, I've been on the same route for 29 years. So, you see, I have a lot of reasons to stay for awhile. I like to think that I deserve a little respect from those waiting for me to drop.

retired2000

dusty, have you sat down with some one from the penson fund to find out what you would be making a month if you retired? i have found out that most upsers after they hit the 30 year mark are only working for something like $17-20 a day more then if they retired. do you know that if after you put 30 years in your pension does not go up that much every year.

also every day that you take off from work nothing goes into your pension. thus you have to work longer, maybe that is your problem. i do not care how good of a run you have or how well your boss is there is nothing like hearing the ups p/c going by your house and just waving. keep on working and keep my pension strong.

thanks,
retired2000

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

dusty, have you sat down with some one from the penson fund to find out what you would be making a month if you retired? i have found out that most upsers after they hit the 30 year mark are only working for something like $17-20 a day more then if they retired. do you know that if after you put 30 years in your pension does not go up that much every year.

also every day that you take off from work nothing goes into your pension. thus you have to work longer, maybe that is your problem. i do not care how good of a run you have or how well your boss is there is nothing like hearing the ups p/c going by your house and just waving. keep on working and keep my pension strong.

thanks,
retired2000

Retired, what part of "none of your business" do you not get? I happen to agree with you and you have some very valid points but the bottom line is dusty is a 53 yr old adult who is very capable of making his own decisions and it is not up to you, Over, myself or anyone else to make this decision for him. I also agree with dusty that 53 is too young to retire. I will be 58 when I have my 30 and do plan on retiring but things may change between now and then and I may end up working past that point and, if I do, I will most certainly not ask you for advice as to whether I should do so or not. Even if I do retire I will end up doing something else, albeit part time, just for a little spending money. We had a driver recently retire and he is working at our local airport at the rental car company making $125-150/week under the table. This is his spending money and it keeps him busy and he can walk away whenever he wants. He actually heard about the job from another retiree who was working there.

Bottom line, you do offer some great advice but the person for whom the advice is intended has already politely asked you several times to mind your own business. I will be less than polite--mind your own damn business.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Geez, I don't understand why you guys are pissed at Retired2000. This is an internet forum, and he's offering his opinion. If any of you don't appreciate his opinion, don't listen. But there are others who may like to hear it.

And I don't care when anyone retires. I just think it's funny that Dustyroads labels anyone who disagrees with him as "management".

I had a vision of him and his s/o going out for dinner. He wants pizza, but his s/o wants Chinese, so he calls her a "management lackey"!

lazydriver

I work 4-10 in feeders now for several years and it is a cut in pay. But I enjoy my time off. It ends up being 12 hrs total minus 1 hr lunch for a 44 hr paycheck.
Two of my fellow feeder drivers retired 2 yrs ago at ages 51 and 53 with 30yrs in and take home more pension than if they were working. Everyone has different financial situations and can make retirement at a young age work for them. People are amazed and jealous that they are retired at that age. I will be 52 when I reach my 30 yrs of service and can't wait to do other things.

What if UPS went to a 4 day 40 hour work week. You would work 10 hours a day. Anything over 10 hours is time and a half. However half of the drivers would be off on Monday and the other half would be off on Friday. Now this is just a what if question. Would you support it or not. Why or why not. I am not saying that this is even possible. Less money more time with family.
4-10's would beat the hell out of the 5-11's we're working now!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Retired, what part of "none of your business" do you not get? I happen to agree with you and you have some very valid points but the bottom line is dusty is a 53 yr old adult who is very capable of making his own decisions and it is not up to you, Over, myself or anyone else to make this decision for him. I also agree with dusty that 53 is too young to retire. I will be 58 when I have my 30 and do plan on retiring but things may change between now and then and I may end up working past that point and, if I do, I will most certainly not ask you for advice as to whether I should do so or not. Even if I do retire I will end up doing something else, albeit part time, just for a little spending money. We had a driver recently retire and he is working at our local airport at the rental car company making $125-150/week under the table. This is his spending money and it keeps him busy and he can walk away whenever he wants. He actually heard about the job from another retiree who was working there.

Bottom line, you do offer some great advice but the person for whom the advice is intended has already politely asked you several times to mind your own business. I will be less than polite--mind your own damn business.
If we all minded our own business........who would be able to make any posts?

retired2000

to all who disagree with me. it just seems foolish to keep working when you can leave all the stress and bull behind and start enjoying life like it was meant to be. keep working and hurt your back and ruin your knees. just do not call me to come and visit you when you are laid up at home as i willbe on vacation enjoying my self.
keep working and keep paying into my retirement fund.

thanks
retired 2000