What if UPS went to a

Dustyroads

Well, I think I've already told mr. 2000 that I really didn't give a flying frank about his opinion as to whether I should continue to work or retire tomorrow. I can't decide if his advice contains more absurdities or inaccuracies. First, the money issue, I make far more now, working 3 or 4 days a week than I would if I took an 30 year retirement, prior to age 55. And, yes, I've gotten the information from the union/ups and have had my CPA look it over. And, you are empirically incorrect, in the Central States region, if a driver works ONE HOUR a week, then an full contribution is made to both the insurance and pension plan. I've never, ever missed a week's contributions in my 30 plus years.

Frankly, I think some of the young drivers should "retire". Many have a poor work ethic and have very little commitment to customer service. But, just as with the case of myself, it's really no one's business but their own.

Maybe it was a good deal for you to retire, 2000, I'm sure it's harder for some people to continue to do the job into their 50's. But, again, that is a personal decision, one that doesn't require any third party input from a stranger.

satellitedriver

I will retire when I choose. You sound too much like a pushy manager we used to have, every time I would see him, he would say, when are you ever going to retire? The answer to him turned out to be, "well after you are long, gone."
"Well after you are long gone.":happy-very::happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:
Wrong, that it may be, this reminded my of the old Roger Miller song.
I've been a long time leaving;
Loved you so much, loved you so mu-u-huuuch
I stayed around when i should've moved along
I've been a long time leavin' ya, but i'll be a long time gone

I say hi there high line, hello highway
Here come a big old semi my way
I stick up my thumb, hear the truck come
But the truck goes by and he looks like he's flyin'
And he whoops the big legs on my levi's
They go woop woop woop woop woop

I've been a fool, i've been a foo-oo-ooool
Forgivin' you each time that you've done me wrong
I've been a long time leavin' ya, but i'll be a long time gone.

Nothing like the wind blast of a UPS pkg car blowing past an ex-manager.
Been there, saw it.
In an evil way,
enjoyed it.

satellitedriver

I work 4-10 in feeders now for several years and it is a cut in pay. But I enjoy my time off. It ends up being 12 hrs total minus 1 hr lunch for a 44 hr paycheck.
Two of my fellow feeder drivers retired 2 yrs ago at ages 51 and 53 with 30yrs in and take home more pension than if they were working. Everyone has different financial situations and can make retirement at a young age work for them. People are amazed and jealous that they are retired at that age. I will be 52 when I reach my 30 yrs of service and can't wait to do other things.

Hope you and your fellows are not in Central States.

retired2000

dusty to bad you are in the central states fund where they did not know how to invest the pension money right. looks like you will break that old upsers working record. see you at the retirement dinner when you are 90.

The Monday and Friday off wouldn't work. Would have to rotate all days of the week equally. For me personally it wouldn't work, my wife would miss the 10 hours of overtime.

Interesting ending comment. Before I retired my wife was the same about overtime. Starts me thinking that maybe many of the people complaining about overtime really want and need it.

I'm happy for you if you are happy being retired, 2000, but it's really none of my business how many years you put in, or when or why you chose to retire. It was yours. I'm 53 and a young man. For me, that is too young to retire, I do my job well, and enjoy being at the point in my career where I am, near the top of the list. I work for the best center manager and management team that I've ever seen in my 30 plus years. I drive the best package car in our fleet. My customers love me, I've been on the same route for 29 years. So, you see, I have a lot of reasons to stay for awhile. I like to think that I deserve a little respect from those waiting for me to drop.

Dusty, No disrepect for your opinions. They are very valid. I retired as soon as I could to make sure I could really enjoy life. Have you ever wished you were not a work and doing something else? Getting back to topic, I retired because of my Dad. He died at 52 and was a young man!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Interesting ending comment. Before I retired my wife was the same about overtime. Starts me thinking that maybe many of the people complaining about overtime really want and need it.

Don't really want or need it but I like it. That's where my 401k and stock purchases and savings come from. Should make my eventual retirement all the better.

Dustyroads

Luckily for those of us in the Central States fund, our pension plan has been guaranteed by the new UPS-Teamster plan, which provides that if the Central States plan becomes insolvent, then all members who were enrolled as of Jan. 1, 2008 will have their pension shortfall from the Central States plan guaranteed by the new UPS-Teamster plan. So, for the lucky folks who were still active when the new UPS-Teamster plan came into being, our retirement is now guaranteed by UPS. I feel pretty secure that the new plan will be able to pay me for the remainder of my life, when I choose to retire.

As for wanting time to do other things, Just Numbers, that's why I take days off every week, anytime I can, to pursue other interests. I have published a couple of books in the last two years, have been active in a community historical preservation project, and have time to do things around the house and spend time with my family. I'm really enjoying my life working, rather than just planning on enjoying my time when I retire.

I was just thinking about old Marty who retired last month after 63 years on the job. I wonder if he had people telling him to retire for 33 years, and then stayed around to watch THEM be carried away in a box.

I know that this is a huge surprise to so many of you, both management and labor, but there are a few drivers who enjoy their jobs and their lives right now, and don't JUST do this so they can retire someday.

satellitedriver

Luckily for those of us in the Central States fund, our pension plan has been guaranteed by the new UPS-Teamster plan, which provides that if the Central States plan becomes insolvent, then all members who were enrolled as of Jan. 1, 2008 will have their pension shortfall from the Central States plan guaranteed by the new UPS-Teamster plan. So, for the lucky folks who were still active when the new UPS-Teamster plan came into being, our retirement is now guaranteed by UPS.
Dusty,
Sorry to rain your Central States parade.
The shortfall provision only applies to those that retire before the next contract. The next contract may not -( and probably will not)- have that same guarantee.
Also, that guarantee still holds the proviso's of the current Central States guide lines for 25/30 and out, before the age of 65.
Simple put, subtract 1/2% for every month you are under the age of 65yrs old. Then subtract 15%, if you want your spouse to get 1/2 of that reduced pension when you die.

My personal position is this;

In 2012, I will have 25yrs driving. I will be 58.5yrs old.
Pension, $2500.00 per month
Minus the current deductions for early retirement.
Those deductions are;
38% penalty for my age being under 65.
15% penalty for my wife to get half upon my death.
53% penalty of $2,500.00 equals;
$1,175.00 before taxes.
-(poverty level, so no taxes will be owed)-
Subtract $400.00 to keep insurance active with UPS, until Medi-Care kicks in.
Grand Total,
$775.00 a month after 25yrs, and that is only guaranteed until 2013.

I sound negative and that is not my point.
I only wish to share the truth behind the lie.

Dustyroads

I stand corrected, satelitte. I suppose that is because I do plan to leave before 2013, so I didn't really consider too much what changes might occur in the future contracts, after I retire. I can't get too worked up over wording in a contract that hasn't even been written yet. For drivers who have the full 30 in or more, now or before the end of the current contract, it's not a bad deal. So, satelitte, no worry, you left no rain on my Central States parade, it seems to be moving along just fine. :)

satellitedriver

I stand corrected, satelitte. I suppose that is because I do plan to leave before 2013, so I didn't really consider too much what changes might occur in the future contracts, after I retire. I can't get too worked up over wording in a contract that hasn't even been written yet. For drivers who have the full 30 in or more, now or before the end of the current contract, it's not a bad deal. So, satelitte, no worry, you left no rain on my Central States parade, it seems to be moving along just fine. :)
:happy2::happy2::happy2:
Dusty,
Godspeed to you, if you are at least 65 when you retire.
If not, then I suggest you might want to carry an umbrella.:peaceful:

packshipandmore

Souns like a good idea, but, the company wont try it. You see, the contract calls for overtime after eight, therefor you would get 32 straight time hours and 8 overtime hours. Sign me up!

Not only your contract, but also the labor law in many states does require overtime for anything over 8 hours in any one day regardless of total hours in the week.

Other than that, it sounds like a good idea, keep more working, more 3 day weekends etc. I would think Mondays would be a busy day and that possibly a higher percent of drivers could be off on Friday

Good Luck!