What is one thing in your facility that you would like to see formally reported to OSHA?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Cleanliness of package cars. Car wash does a terrible job, most windows are barely able to see out from dirt glare in the morning or evening sun. Drivers leave trash and piss bottles in every truck. Truly a bunch of cavemen. Most days you don’t get the same car as the day before.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Sometimes I wonder if you start threads to drum up thoughtful banter or, to incite hatred towards the employer and dissension among the ranks. Either way, there are some good topics you do bring up.

This memo which was released in 2012, seems like it was written in response towards the railroad industry but the verbiage can apply to almost any employer. Section(s) 2, 3, and parts of 4 can summarize the games and tactics UPS uses towards workplace injuries (number 2 especially).

Even though UPS doesn't blatantly discipline or use wording such as whats written in this memo, it does discourage reporting injuries and if an injury is reported, what follows is disparaging remarks in PCMs about the "injury" not really naming the person but making it obvious who it is. Conducting "observations", by following the people around or watching them while they work in the building. Increasing the frequency of safety rides or some other antic. Three memorable instances in my building that I can remember, only reinforce what I said, and contradicts what the OSHA memo clearly states is prohibited behavior by the employer.

The first one, a driver had packages fall on them causing a fractured limb. Driver was coerced into finishing shift then sought treatment. The driver should have removed themselves from service and sought treatment no matter the threats or intimidating factors. Said driver is now on medical leave due to the injury not healing properly. Been out for several months.

Second instance, an inside worker experienced chemical caustic exposure. Treatment by medical professional and reporting was delayed, and treatment was given on site by untrained personnel who had no training or knowledge of any form, in the treatment of this type of injury. The only treatment on the job site was the rinsing of the affected limb with unsterilized tap water Subject also continued working without seeking immediate treatment. (It's unknown why treatment was not sought immediately) Subject suffered irreparable injury to several digits and part of the limb which is prominent and continues to this day.

Third case, a driver onto a large object. Driver did not feel the injury was in fact a reportable injury, and continued working assuming it was simply a bruise. Driver experienced pain for several days and there was visible bruising but still did not report injury. After several days / weeks the driver finally came forward when the injury did not seem to heal. Supervisors encouraged driver to report the injury to their own insurance instead. Driver insisted on filing a worker's comp injury. Driver was threatened with blatant harassment of safety rides and the denial of benefits for not reporting injury sooner. Driver was also ordered to read a book about safety 24 hours a day. Driver lost workers comp claim for untimeliness. They had to pay for the injury out their own pocket.

So, even though this memo you reference was written in 2012, it seems that not much has been enforced or gleaned from this as the practice has, and continues to go on in rampant fashion. It's an interesting read, but not worth the paper it is written on if it is not enforced, and companies are not held accountable.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sometimes I wonder if you start threads to drum up thoughtful banter or, to incite hatred towards the employer and dissension among the ranks. Either way, there are some good topics you do bring up.

This memo which was released in 2012, seems like it was written in response towards the railroad industry but the verbiage can apply to almost any employer. Section(s) 2, 3, and parts of 4 can summarize the games and tactics UPS uses towards workplace injuries (number 2 especially).

Even though UPS doesn't blatantly discipline or use wording such as whats written in this memo, it does discourage reporting injuries and if an injury is reported, what follows is disparaging remarks in PCMs about the "injury" not really naming the person but making it obvious who it is. Conducting "observations", by following the people around or watching them while they work in the building. Increasing the frequency of safety rides or some other antic. Three memorable instances in my building that I can remember, only reinforce what I said, and contradicts what the OSHA memo clearly states is prohibited behavior by the employer.

The first one, a driver had packages fall on them causing a fractured limb. Driver was coerced into finishing shift then sought treatment. The driver should have removed themselves from service and sought treatment no matter the threats or intimidating factors. Said driver is now on medical leave due to the injury not healing properly. Been out for several months.

Second instance, an inside worker experienced chemical caustic exposure. Treatment by medical professional and reporting was delayed, and treatment was given on site by untrained personnel who had no training or knowledge of any form, in the treatment of this type of injury. The only treatment on the job site was the rinsing of the affected limb with unsterilized tap water Subject also continued working without seeking immediate treatment. (It's unknown why treatment was not sought immediately) Subject suffered irreparable injury to several digits and part of the limb which is prominent and continues to this day.

Third case, a driver onto a large object. Driver did not feel the injury was in fact a reportable injury, and continued working assuming it was simply a bruise. Driver experienced pain for several days and there was visible bruising but still did not report injury. After several days / weeks the driver finally came forward when the injury did not seem to heal. Supervisors encouraged driver to report the injury to their own insurance instead. Driver insisted on filing a worker's comp injury. Driver was threatened with blatant harassment of safety rides and the denial of benefits for not reporting injury sooner. Driver was also ordered to read a book about safety 24 hours a day. Driver lost workers comp claim for untimeliness. They had to pay for the injury out their own pocket.

So, even though this memo you reference was written in 2012, it seems that not much has been enforced or gleaned from this as the practice has, and continues to go on in rampant fashion. It's an interesting read, but not worth the paper it is written on if it is not enforced, and companies are not held accountable.
I start threads to drum up thoughtful banter not to incite hatred towards the employer and/or dissension among the ranks.

I seek unity and justice for the working man through proper channels.

Individuals have to know about their rights and file formal complaints when their rights are violated for change and enforcement to occur.

Thanks for your detailed contribution!

bumped

I've never used the ice machine when we had it. There is a yellow tint to the water, and when you look in the toilet it looks like it was never flushed. We now have a cooler and ice bags are brought in from an outside company.

UPS wants us to driver side back, but our air dock is in a place that makes one do a blind side back into it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Was speaking with a Maintenance mechanic and he told me about some safety issues concerning the Boxline conveyor system.

He said there was some blatant unguarded pinch points.

Anyone observe the same?

Package Stick

"Send it."
Was speaking with a Maintenance mechanic and he told me about some safety issues concerning the Boxline conveyor system.

He said there was some blatant unguarded pinch points.

Anyone observe the same?
Everywhere.

One of our older extendos detached itself from the inside housing and almost pinned a guy unloading down, with the belt running obviously. They had PE repair it instead of replacing it.

The loaders are almost always trapped because of the volume they push down the line. I have seen loaders BURIED, no way to get out of the trailer. I also am directed to put irrgs in the egress of the trailers by not only supervisors, by fellow Teamsters. Instead of dropping a daughter cart in a safe location.

EVERY. DAY.

allahuakbar

She/Her
Cleanliness of package cars. Car wash does a terrible job, most windows are barely able to see out from dirt glare in the morning or evening sun. Drivers leave trash and piss bottles in every truck. Truly a bunch of cavemen. Most days you don’t get the same car as the day before.
Our windows are stained with hard water. You’d think they’d handle that.

Azcardinal

To eradicate the disease going around that requires a person to grow a beard.There must be a lot of touchy feely going around..I've never seen a sickness spread so fast..its worse than the measles..