What is one thing in your facility that you would like to see formally reported to OSHA?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
To eradicate the disease going around that requires a person to grow a beard.There must be a lot of touchy feely going around..I've never seen a sickness spread so fast..its worse than the measles..
don’t be mad you can’t grow one , I can’t even tell you how many women have been after me since my beard..

quad decade guy

And while your question is legitimate, I haven't really seen a response that qualifies for OSHA level.

It does show(the responses) how nasty and grueling the job is. All of this nastiness is condoned and

required from mgt. From the CEO down. They get their money from "good numbers" at any cost.

Water fountains, ice machines, nasty bathrooms.....I don't use any of them....just too nasty.

Finally, you don't call OSHA because it's hot or cold. Or the work sucks. You work one day and you

know what it's like. Accept it or not. I have for 40 years. It's like I've been at 2 a days football practice.

In August. Remember, Amazon folks are experiencing the same....you are being paid 150% more.

Does that make it ok? For me...a little. And like I've been told-"want to make changes?" Get promoted.

quad decade guy

Yes, why are the interior of trucks never cleaned? Not taking about trash but the dust accumulated. Sometimes have to wipe just to read instrument panel.

Cost! They(mgt.) don't care! The CEO on down doesn't care! Cost! Expense! Numbers!

UPS only makes money when we pick up a pkg. Everything else is an expense-you me and the toilet

paper. Urinating in a bottle is stealing time!

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Cleanliness of package cars. Car wash does a terrible job, most windows are barely able to see out from dirt glare in the morning or evening sun. Drivers leave trash and piss bottles in every truck. Truly a bunch of cavemen. Most days you don’t get the same car as the day before.
We drive on-roads crazy every morning because we take the time to clean our windshields and mirrors that are always spotted and streaked from car wash the night before.

However they will set up a power wash station with soap so you can spray out your package car insides (on the clock) if you want.

It's an on-going fight between on-road, sunrise and twilight as to who's going to get charged the hours for keeping the cars clean.

Most drivers just live with the filth, wading through ankle high trash and peering through gunked up windshields.

quad decade guy

We drive on-roads crazy every morning because we take the time to clean our windshields and mirrors that are always spotted and streaked from car wash the night before.

However they will set up a power wash station with soap so you can spray out your package car insides (on the clock) if you want.

It's an on-going fight between on-road, sunrise and twilight as to who's going to get charged the hours for keeping the cars clean.

Most drivers just live with the filth, wading through ankle high trash and peering through gunked up windshields.

Yep. Anything to deflect and charge/blame someone else. Union's the same way.

We are periodically told "No washing or fueling". But then you walk up to dispatch and say " I can't

leave because my tractor doesn't have fuel or I can't see out the windows because of bug splatter".

They say " Your just being difficult, we didn't mean it that way". Well, what does no fueling or washing

mean? Just working as directed.

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
Was speaking with a Maintenance mechanic and he told me about some safety issues concerning the Boxline conveyor system.

He said there was some blatant unguarded pinch points.

Anyone observe the same?
The chains and sprockets are unguarded as well as pinch points between the cages when they make the 180° turn at the upper and lower radius. Potential for pinching at every cages casters as they go around track also. The boxline at our hub has 2x2 mesh around the framing to prevent someone crawling inside and getting to chains and sprockets. This is somewhat effective but there are areas that are easy to access and be exposed to chains and sprockets.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The chains and sprockets are unguarded as well as pinch points between the cages when they make the 180° turn at the upper and lower radius. Potential for pinching at every cages casters as they go around track also. The boxline at our hub has 2x2 mesh around the framing to prevent someone crawling inside and getting to chains and sprockets. This is somewhat effective but there are areas that are easy to access and be exposed to chains and sprockets.

If you’re dumb enough to crawl in there then you get what you get

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Was speaking with a Maintenance mechanic and he told me about some safety issues concerning the Boxline conveyor system.

He said there was some blatant unguarded pinch points.

Anyone observe the same?
Not really pinch points but we successfully got our boxlines inspected such that certain sharp edges were sanded down. I would suggest if anyone has a run-down boxline to coordinate with their BA to get them inspected by safety kiddos since cuts and scrapes (while they are often minor) remain our most common injury.

The same can be said for package cars. There are certain spots in the rear and up front that can cut you up.

On rare occasion, the chain can lose tension and slip, allowing two bins from the boxline to collide against each other.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
And while your question is legitimate, I haven't really seen a response that qualifies for OSHA level.

It does show(the responses) how nasty and grueling the job is. All of this nastiness is condoned and

required from mgt. From the CEO down. They get their money from "good numbers" at any cost.

Water fountains, ice machines, nasty bathrooms.....I don't use any of them....just too nasty.

Finally, you don't call OSHA because it's hot or cold. Or the work sucks. You work one day and you

know what it's like. Accept it or not. I have for 40 years. It's like I've been at 2 a days football practice.

In August. Remember, Amazon folks are experiencing the same....you are being paid 150% more.

Does that make it ok? For me...a little. And like I've been told-"want to make changes?" Get promoted.
You don’t have to be management to make changes. 3 step process can sometimes work for Safety issues.

1. Safety Committee
2. If no response from Safety Committee, then Article 18 Safety Grievance.
3. If no response from Article18 Safety Grievance, then formal complaint with OSHA.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yep. Anything to deflect and charge/blame someone else. Union's the same way.

We are periodically told "No washing or fueling". But then you walk up to dispatch and say " I can't

leave because my tractor doesn't have fuel or I can't see out the windows because of bug splatter".

They say " Your just being difficult, we didn't mean it that way". Well, what does no fueling or washing

mean? Just working as directed.
My experience with my Local has been awesome, the Executive Board are some of the hardest workers and I have the utmost of respect for what they do.

My experience with management has been the opposite. Very much as you described.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The maintenance guy I spoke with described where the cages come together after the turn as a serious pinch point. I checked it out and they do come together right where people are sorting at the high end and right where someone is loading at the low end. Do you agree with this assessment?

He also mentioned where loaders who loader from the bottom cages are completely exposed to the wheels. I checked this out as well and anyone could easily put their hand on the track by mistake and have it run over by a cage. There is absolutely no guarding protecting employees from these moving parts where the track is elevated. Are you familiar with this situation?