What is the Union going to do when up to 30% are laid off in January?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I'm expecting that there will be a great deal of Head Hunting the first of the year. We have problems with many of the younger rookie drivers not sheeting packages,not reporting missed,falsifying records and many other things that can get one terminated. They are runners,skip lunches and think management are their friends and I expect to see a good many weeded out after peak

Feederquacker

100k seasonals will be gone. Maybe 5% of seniority workers will be laid off but that most likely will be a voluntary deal. Stop panicking. Stop and reasonably think things over. They usually aren’t apocalyptic events.

The union will do nothing to answer your question. They will still collect dues on the laid off employees and promote the greatest contract ever and tell the 5 other supplements to vote yes for better volume so we can all work.
If I don’t work 40 hours in a month, my dues are refunded.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
But is 30% of the workforce really going to be laid off in January? Because if that's the case, I guess UPS is going under, and we all need to brush up those resumes.

30%. Lol just imagine. 130,000 employees. Lol

If 30% is layed off, I wonder if we could re vote on that contract. Maybe the percentages would work out a little different than the constitutional malarkey.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm expecting that there will be a great deal of Head Hunting the first of the year.

Meh.

If there is.... it will be by low level management, trying to justify their job.

We have problems with many of the younger rookie drivers not sheeting packages,not reporting missed,falsifying records and many other things that can get one terminated. They are runners,skip lunches and think management are their friends and I expect to see a good many weeded out after peak

The weak always get "culled" from the herd.

If 30% is layed off, I wonder if we could re vote on that contract. Maybe the percentages would work out a little different than the constitutional malarkey.

"Constitutional malarkey".... nice terminology. :biggrin:

UPS members are so exceptional, that they (only) think in terms of "themselves".

The IBT Constitution applies to every Teamster.

-Bug-

over9five

Staff member
Jeez, I'd love to get the first 2 weeks of the year as vacation. 30 frikken years in...

You'd think if they were going to lay a bunch off, they'd let more people take vacation those weeks so they could lay off less.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Are we not the largest collective bargaining unit in the nation?

Yes, but we already know majority means nothing to the Union!!!

I think the issue is that our workforce is just different than most other teamster organized groups. With the transient nature of so many of our part timers, it is difficult (almost impossible) for us ever to be able to reject an offer under the rules as they were applied with this vote.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I thought you’d get a kick out of that one.

I did.

Yes, but we already know majority means nothing to the Union!!!

The majority sat silent.

I think the issue is that our workforce is just different than most other teamster organized groups. With the transient nature of so many of our part timers, it is difficult (almost impossible) for us ever to be able to reject an offer under the rules as they were applied with this vote.

There is some validly, in your observation.

TDU and Ron Carey, were instrumental in the constitutional language change.

Why do you think TDU has been so silent ?

You don't see them (or OZ) rushing to file charges....

Why is that ?

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

You are correct, TDU and Ron Carey were instrumental in the previous form of the rule being watered down during the 1990's.

Prior to that, it didn't matter if every single member voted, two-thirds was required to reject a contract offer.

Thanks Ron Carey and TDU.
Why is that ?
Because the "discontent" that festers within the membership serves their political agenda.

I'll be watching their platform closely leading up to the Delegates Election for the next IBT Convention, as well as what amendments to the Constitution are to be proposed by these so-called "reformers".
That's where the real changes need to be made.

~Bbbl~™

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"Constitutional malarkey".... nice terminology. :biggrin:

UPS members are so exceptional, that they (only) think in terms of "themselves".

The IBT Constitution applies to every Teamster.

-Bug-
What member, in what craft, is the two-thirds/50% rule designed to serve?

....because to me, it's the textbook example of "Constitutional malarkey".

~Bbbl~™

SafetyFirst

That 50% rule is crap, makes it almost impossible to reject an offer, and weakens the unions hand in negotiation.

It only hurts the members, haven't heard a defense of the rule on the merits yet.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Why is that ?

-Bug-

As I said before, from what I've seen and responses I've gotten from tdu folks, they don't want to change anything except who's in charge. You gotta admit the folks at the top have a pretty sweet deal, anyone would want what they have, why would they want to make the job as hard as it should be?