What is UPS waiting for?

Justaloader

I keep reading about different companies striking and them at least getting various benefits for it. What is stopping us? Just apathy and thinking nothing we do will do anything? You realize that's half the reason our entire system is so :censored2:ed as it is right? I wish we could rally together and actually be a brotherhood like we're supposed to be. Imagine the impact that would have to force the company's hand.

Notice no one thus far has even acknowledged this post? IMO - from what I've seen in this company - if you try a stunt like this, they'll show you the door and hire others to replace you. Short of the entire workforce banding together and this company literally coming to a stop overnight, nothing will change - and you'll never get the entire workforce to band together. It's a pipedream at best.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Notice no one thus far has even acknowledged this post? IMO - from what I've seen in this company - if you try a stunt like this, they'll show you the door and hire others to replace you. Short of the entire workforce banding together and this company literally coming to a stop overnight, nothing will change - and you'll never get the entire workforce to band together. It's a pipedream at best.
Im not advocating a strike, but workers would get their jobs back.
How 250 UPS Workers Fired for a Wildcat Strike Won Back Their Jobs

Justaloader

Im not advocating a strike, but workers would get their jobs back.
How 250 UPS Workers Fired for a Wildcat Strike Won Back Their Jobs

Good luck getting something like this to happen today (I notice this article was from 2014). Getting the workforce to stand together, the Union to back the workforce, and customers to support the effort with what's going on in the world right now? Not saying it's impossible - but it'd be one hell of an undertaking.

The workers are calling this a win, and it's worth noting that it's a win that came through the willingness of 250 people to risk their own jobs to stand up to the boss and to save the job of one of their colleagues. But the wildcat action had to be backed up with organizing both inside the union and within the community (and sympathetic elected officials who owe their positions to union support certainly didn't hurt, either). It can require quite a lot of pressure to bring a massive company like UPS to the table, but the workers succeeded. The WFP's Lipton says, “When workers stand together in solidarity they can still win against one of the biggest corporations in America."

Superteeth2478

I keep reading about different companies striking and them at least getting various benefits for it. What is stopping us? Just apathy and thinking nothing we do will do anything? You realize that's half the reason our entire system is so :censored2:ed as it is right? I wish we could rally together and actually be a brotherhood like we're supposed to be. Imagine the impact that would have to force the company's hand.
It's probably the clause in the contract that disallows wildcat strikes. All anyone will get is a swift termination for participating in an unauthorized strike.

Unless you change the gloves every time you touch something it isn’t doing much.
You’re picking up and spreading the same germs on those gloves that your hands would be
There's more to it than just that. Any cut or break in the skin becomes a port of entry. Gloves will protect your hands, keep them off your face.

specter208

If we don’t deliver the packages then many businesses would have to close. Then we would be in actual trouble.

Maplewood

I can't do any heavy work in nitrile gloves for more than a few minutes without them ripping. If you need a woobie to help you feel safe, I'm not judging.

Nobody's talking about the thin food handler ones. 7 mil golves last all day for resi delivery, maybe only a couple hours in an unload job.

542thruNthru

What UPS doesn't understand that they are no longer in control. When the entire center ends up sick they won't have a choice.

So what you're saying is UPS has nothing to lose so they might as well keep making money till we are all sick. Then shut down for 14 days and bring us all back since we will all have the antibodies.

Instead of shutting down for months hoping this virus goes away.