What is YOUR plan FEDEX?

dex 84

It makes sense to do residential areas during the morning while kids are in school and then business in the afternoon so you don't get stuck behind school buses.

It will be fine

It makes sense to do residential areas during the morning while kids are in school and then business in the afternoon so you don't get stuck behind school buses.
At ground we deliver a lot of the products companies need to operate. I have a number of recipients that take our deliveries and send the same stuff back out that night. They get pretty pissy if we are late on the delivery. We also have bulk, you need to get that off the truck so you can work the rest of the day. It's not all envelopes over here.

NYCFXG

At ground we deliver a lot of the products companies need to operate. I have a number of recipients that take our deliveries and send the same stuff back out that night. They get pretty pissy if we are late on the delivery. We also have bulk, you need to get that off the truck so you can work the rest of the day. It's not all envelopes over here.

Yeah! But our great and kind partners pay us the same amount for those pitiful envelopes as they do for all that beautiful bulk and incompatibles.

instiches

Yeah! But our great and kind partners pay us the same amount for those pitiful envelopes as they do for all that beautiful bulk and incompatibles.

They need to look at ICs for sure but at the same time, it isn't really easy to determine if a contractor is getting overpaid for envelopes/bags or underpaid for TVs/furniture

dex 84

I always say that if you need it in the morning you should send it priority.

dvalleyjim

To the ones who say, "if you don't like it just get out...."

Try this, THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

Your terminal is mild compare to ours. We have failing ISPs that haven't delivered stops in 3 wks because drivers have quit. When some FedEx wig told me if I didn't like it get out I'd tell him I have 10,000.00 s of dollars invested in this, the ask him "how much do you have ? Why don't you get out?"

dvalleyjim

Let's just say I work 6 weeks out of the year and get a sabbatical the rest of the year for the most part. I get to be with my kids, coach, and attend everything I want to. So for that tell me what is more important than that. I make my fair share of the companies profit. I like to keep humble, keep investing and sharing the wealth :).

Glad to see you have time with your kids. What about the people that work for you. I understand. I was home everyday with my kids. It sounds like you have made the best in 10 yrs. with what FedEx has let you have. I think that is the key. To take what they offer and make the best of it. I have no problem with what FedEx has done for the ISP. It's the drivers that get the shaft!

dvalleyjim

I am sure there are exceptions to every rule. You may be in the 1% class of most contractors, if so, I applaud. That doesn't mean that the other 99% are uneducated businessman or failures. X changes the rules when they see fit, not for you, for THEM

You may also be in an area that doesn't involve high rises or cost 3000 to rent a house/apt. paying 700-900 a week is good pay for many in rural areas Here that is poverty that seriously qualifies you for Obama care. There has to be cost of living adjustments to settezlements rather than an across the board number some statistician pulls out of backside

Let's assume your business Doubles as it has in some areas. Do you have 10 spare trucks and 10 drivers on payroll just waitin for your call. I highly doubt, can you scramble with no notice to make it happen. Again, I doubt.

It's unrealistic and unreasonable to think anyone including you could pull this off, even as a 1 percenter. Financially you woukd loose your ass. This is what's happening this peak and if we had all the contractors in the country on this board contributing you would see it's an epidemic

:)

Hell, even some in amway and prime america do good right?

Crozz

Glad to see you have time with your kids. What about the people that work for you. I understand. I was home everyday with my kids. It sounds like you have made the best in 10 yrs. with what FedEx has let you have. I think that is the key. To take what they offer and make the best of it. I have no problem with what FedEx has done for the ISP. It's the drivers that get the shaft!
All my guys are well taken care of. My home guys come in at 8:00am and return at 4:30pm with an hour lunch and ground 8:30-5:30 with an hour lunch. I my not pay big bucks but how many companies have a personal bond with their employees and help them when they need it. I have to pay what I can and what I can afford for me to make sure my guys are not out being slaves I have to have floaters witch I believe is a 5-1 ratio. I don't fill my pockets up and slave drive my people. Out of 45 employees it will be hard to find one to talk negative about me. I have plenty of former employees that are successful managing other businesses and making great money. They call me all the time thinking me for the training and helping them be who they are now. They also give me a good rep and I don't have problems finding drivers.

bacha29

CRozz: You exist for one reason only and that is to provide G with trucking and labor at below average market cost so that they may continue to enjoy a profit margin that is nearly 3 times the industry average and to support the other operating units that have very low margins. ( Check Q2 operating results that came out this evening). By your own admission you have high turnover and don't pay well and most likely no benefits including health care. If you think you have high turnover now wait till next year when your employees get taste of that 2.5% of gross income($695 min) penalty for no health insurance. Oh sure they might qualify for coverage under the ACA(Obamacare) but if so all it means is that the taxpayers are subsidizing your low pay operation.If that's the case if I were you I wouldn't go around bragging about your success to other contractors because they simply know better.

STFXG

CRozz: You exist for one reason only and that is to provide G with trucking and labor at below average market cost so that they may continue to enjoy a profit margin that is nearly 3 times the industry average and to support the other operating units that have very low margins. ( Check Q2 operating results that came out this evening). By your own admission you have high turnover and don't pay well and most likely no benefits including health care. If you think you have high turnover now wait till next year when your employees get taste of that 2.5% of gross income($695 min) penalty for no health insurance. Oh sure they might qualify for coverage under the ACA(Obamacare) but if so all it means is that the taxpayers are subsidizing your low pay operation.If that's the case if I were you I wouldn't go around bragging about your success to other contractors because they simply know better.
What is average market cost? We've had this discussion plenty of times on here.

Crozz

I will continue to train and move to the next employee. I know where I stand and what it's going to take. I'm just like your McDonald's and Taco Bell being a delivery driver is not a long term career. If I get 2-5 years out of a driver then I did good. $32k-35k to get 2 years experience isn't all that bad. Go start somewhere else I bet it's not $32 with no exp. I train my own guys with no exp.

bacha29

If in your opinion a delivery driver is a 2-5 year job then why are there so many UPS drivers who put in 30 years or more on the job. Very simple good pay and benefits. Now if you make it clear to them from the outset that what you are offering is transitional employment just a job between jobs with below average pay and no benefits you can't as you say expect very much form them because you get what you pay for. But if you make it clear to them that they can leave at any time for something better , that's a fair deal. But God help you if you should run out of that cheap throw way labor because X won't listen to it. they will find someone else. And someday you will.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If in your opinion a delivery driver is a 2-5 year job then why are there so many UPS drivers who put in 30 years or more on the job. Very simple good pay and benefits. Now if you make it clear to them from the outset that what you are offering is transitional employment just a job between jobs with below average pay and no benefits you can't as you say expect very much form them because you get what you pay for. But if you make it clear to them that they can leave at any time for something better , that's a fair deal. But God help you if you should run out of that cheap throw way labor because X won't listen to it. they will find someone else. And someday you will.
I think with the economy rolling pretty good they're running into that right now aren't they?

The helper by my route for fedex has neck tats a pony tail and wears a camo hat. I'd say the chances he hasn't served time are slim.

Crozz

No one said throw away labor I have former drivers managers and coordinators making $40-$55k a year driving less than 4 weeks total. The ones that want to move up they have an opportunity. And for UPS guys retiring in the future after 30 years it's going to be impossible with the demand and volume that all delivery guys are having to do. You will see UPS will have to continue to higher guys off the street like they are doing this peak. Sitting on the belt for ten years waiting for an opening to drive will be gone. The pay ups is paying will fall as well. They will have to change or FEDEX GROUND will continue to take the market over.

T

Turdferguson

No one said throw away labor I have former drivers managers and coordinators making $40-$55k a year driving less than 4 weeks total. The ones that want to move up they have an opportunity. And for UPS guys retiring in the future after 30 years it's going to be impossible with the demand and volume that all delivery guys are having to do. You will see UPS will have to continue to higher guys off the street like they are doing this peak. Sitting on the belt for ten years waiting for an opening to drive will be gone. The pay ups is paying will fall as well. They will have to change or FEDEX GROUND will continue to take the market over.

bacha29

To believe that United Parcel Service the model of corporate efficiency is going to be bypassed by little old FXG.? Apparently you too have been to the Fedex mind control academy. Do you really expect me to believe that you have guys makiing up to 55 grand a year driving for a month? Sure UPS demands top of the scale performance but they also pay top of the scale money and only a fool is going to believe you and some cheap wage no benefit contractors are going to erode their pay scale. And for hiring off the street that's were everybody comes from . How else do they get there? Swim? Parachute? As I said before, if you are in a populated area that has a low wage base you will be just fine for a while. "Getting up to scale" means responding to X's demand for the infusion of more contractor capital and manpower. Too bad you don't have any control over it's fate.