What Qualities do drivers look for in a Drivers Helper?

6Brown

Driver Helper
Hey guys,

I'm on-call as a drivers helper waiting for all hell to break loose after thanksgiving.
I know it's probably a stressful time for the drivers, so I want to make sure I make the experience much better for the drivers I'm paired with. I'd like to possibly get full time work, so I want to make good first impressions.

What qualities do you guys want in your Driver Helper?
Do you like having someone to talk to? Or would you rather them keep quiet?
Any tips?

Thanks

Rack em

Made the Podium
Hell yes I want someone to talk to. Dont just sit there and not say anything lol. And as long as you show some hussle (not running!) then you'll be fine

By The Book

Hey guys,

I'm on-call as a drivers helper waiting for all hell to break loose after thanksgiving.
I know it's probably a stressful time for the drivers, so I want to make sure I make the experience much better for the drivers I'm paired with. I'd like to possibly get full time work, so I want to make good first impressions.

Any tips?

Thanks

I like a helper who is hungry. What I mean by that is a helper who likes to sit for an hour lunch.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I like helpers that have their own transportation and can show up on time. I started my fourth one today and he was a half-hour late. I will try somebody different tomorrow.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Hey guys,

Any tips?

Thanks

Thanks for changing your avatar. You've got a decent attitude. You'll probably do fine.

SCV good to go sir.

I like it when they're willing to pee in gatorade bottles, run all the stops, and work without breaks or lunches.

Just kidding.

Not really. ;)

In all seriousness...

I like a sense of urgency. Don't chit chat with the cute receptionists and don't walk like an old man.
Don't get too comfortable with me. I expect you to work.
Stay out of the cargo area. When I need you to help me organize, I'll ask. Otherwise just wait next to the door while I grab the packages.
Be obedient, I promise I'll respectful.
Please remember that while you're wearing the uniform that you're representing UPS. So please act professional.
If we only have one diad, do not touch it unless I ask you to look up something while I'm driving. I had one helper last peak grab it every time we stopped, he didn't last long.
Let me know if you need a break/to go to the restroom/are hungry. I will do my absolute best to make accommodations for you, but don't try to game this.
Finally, understand that this is a tough job, I'm used to working alone or on very rare occasions with other drivers that know what's up and are used to the hustle. Don't :censored2:ing whine about :censored2: to me. I won't tolerate it.

Having said all that, I have two metrics that I take seriously:

1) Safety
2) Service

I absolutely will not let a helper compromise the former and only in the most dire of situations will I compromise on the latter. If I feel that you're a liability to either one of those, you're gone.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just be on time and be a nice person, everything else I can deal with. Stick with me and we'll both make a lot of money this peak.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I like helpers that have their own transportation and can show up on time. I started my fourth one today and he was a half-hour late. I will try somebody different tomorrow.
Your a better person than I am, I give them 10 min, if not there I am gone