What Qualities do drivers look for in a Drivers Helper?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
There will always be disagreement about crossing behind, or in front of the truck.

Of necessity, one must pause at the corner of the truck either way, and check for approaching traffic. I have always crossed at the front, and will continue to do so.

When crossing at the back, you are already standing directly in the path of approaching vehicles. A distracted driver (texting), could easily crush you against the rear of the truck.

Crossing at the front, gives you the protection of the truck against the traffic flow of the lane where you have parked. Stop at the front corner of the truck and make certain that traffic is clear in both directions.

snarts

Man don't worry about impressing some overpaid drivers who don't have anything above a high school diploma. As you can see these guys are on some really high horses and all they do is drive and lift for a living.

Just work hard and follow directions.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Man don't worry about impressing some overpaid drivers who don't have anything above a high school diploma. As you can see these guys are on some really high horses and all they do is drive and lift for a living.

Are you a helper?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Hey guys,

I'm on-call as a drivers helper waiting for all hell to break loose after thanksgiving.
I know it's probably a stressful time for the drivers, so I want to make sure I make the experience much better for the drivers I'm paired with. I'd like to possibly get full time work, so I want to make good first impressions.

What qualities do you guys want in your Driver Helper?
Do you like having someone to talk to? Or would you rather them keep quiet?
Any tips?

Thanks

are you breathing?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Is a 'snart' kind of like a 'shart?'

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
There will always be disagreement about crossing behind, or in front of the truck.

Of necessity, one must pause at the corner of the truck either way, and check for approaching traffic. I have always crossed at the front, and will continue to do so.

When crossing at the back, you are already standing directly in the path of approaching vehicles. A distracted driver (texting), could easily crush you against the rear of the truck.

Crossing at the front, gives you the protection of the truck against the traffic flow of the lane where you have parked. Stop at the front corner of the truck and make certain that traffic is clear in both directions.

I think it really depends on the driver you get and the area you live in. The problem with a distracted driver is that one coming from the front of the truck could just as easily pin you against the front of the truck as well. I think the real reasons against it are to prevent the driver from running over the helper and it is easier to see approaching traffic that is coming from behind the truck easier on the rear side of the truck. Since the drivers tell me what they are going to do before they drop me off, the first point is not a problem. As for the second, I enter the street on a 45 degree angle between the truck and the curb. This allows me to get some distance between me and the truck. I stop on the edge of where the traffic would be. From that vantage point I can see the traffic that is approaching from behind the truck quite well. If I am next to the front of the truck then I can't see the traffic as well.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
snarts replied: 18

It's the holidays...., and I'm on vacation, so I will be nice, for a change.

Good luck

Last edited:

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I think it really depends on the driver you get and the area you live in. The problem with a distracted driver is that one coming from the front of the truck could just as easily pin you against the front of the truck as well.

You are correct, but the one approaching from the front must make a greater lane departure to put you in harms way.

As I said, there will always be disagreement on this point.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I think it really depends on the driver you get and the area you live in. The problem with a distracted driver is that one coming from the front of the truck could just as easily pin you against the front of the truck as well. I think the real reasons against it are to prevent the driver from running over the helper and it is easier to see approaching traffic that is coming from behind the truck easier on the rear side of the truck. Since the drivers tell me what they are going to do before they drop me off, the first point is not a problem. As for the second, I enter the street on a 45 degree angle between the truck and the curb. This allows me to get some distance between me and the truck. I stop on the edge of where the traffic would be. From that vantage point I can see the traffic that is approaching from behind the truck quite well. If I am next to the front of the truck then I can't see the traffic as well.

Just be safe.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Oh brother... Sorry to say this but you might be overqualified for this helper gig....lol

wetleg

I don't know if any other helpers do this or maybe it's just between you and your driver but last year(and we did strictly residential) if I had another stop like 7 or 8 houses away I'd just step into the truck and stand there holding the guardrail while the driver drove to the house. It seemed sort of silly for me to sit down and buckle in for like 20 seconds. Again this was only for a stop quickly coming up. The driver didn't seem to mind...he knew I wasn't going anywhere.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I don't know if any other helpers do this or maybe it's just between you and your driver but last year(and we did strictly residential) if I had another stop like 7 or 8 houses away I'd just step into the truck and stand there holding the guardrail while the driver drove to the house. It seemed sort of silly for me to sit down and buckle in for like 20 seconds. Again this was only for a stop quickly coming up. The driver didn't seem to mind...he knew I wasn't going anywhere.
Not only illegal but thats a good way to get you AND the driver fired. Sit the :censored2: down and buckle your seatbelt while the wheels are in motion!

underworked1

They have us cross behind so we can see what is coming at us. That driver texting you have a chamce to see from the rear. From the front you have no line of sight until you peak your head into traffic. The protection of the vehicle you mention is no protection when a car slams into the back of your truck and the truck mows right over you. All these "stupid" rules we have are in your best interest and are the safest methods.