What Should We Do If Fred Wins?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's increasingly looking like Fred is going to get his way with our pliable Senators, and that the RLA language favorable to unionization won't be included in the FAA Bill. Although the little despot could still be defeated, that begs the question about what we should do if he wins.

Many of us are planning to call in sick if Fred prevails. Watch for FedEx to require doctor's notes for absent workers. If that happens, may I suggest taking several days off and playing the FedEx game by actually going to the doctor and getting documentation of your "illness".

May I also suggest that you follow all work rules and policies to the letter when you return to work. Drive the posted speed limit, take your breaks, and do everything exactly by the book, which will create massive confusion.

For those of you who live in states where a break is required no later than 4 hours and 59 minutes into your shift, take your break regardless of the effect on operations. This is especially important for RTD's to consider. Let's say you have an 0330 start time, and the freight is late. At exactly 0829, you start your break, and let the freight sit until your 30 mins are up. If you are already on the road, pull over and park. Sorry Fred, but that's just following the law. Too bad if the already late freight gets there an additional 30 minutes late.

You play your dirty little political games, and many of us will do whatever we need to do to screw up your operation. Ironically, in most cases, it will be by following FedEx rules to the letter. Win or lose, you're going to get it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hi Maury!! Funny how the numbers jump-up so high whenever I post something like this. Start your preparations, because there will be consequences this time. You'll find that employees aren't going to react the same way they did back in 1996. The word is out, it's been out, and the RLA is the biggest topic of discussion every day...on the belt, on the ramps, and everywhere else. Fred has created a rift that is widening every day, and there is bad blood throughout the company waiting for their chance. Perhaps it will be disruption or maybe lawsuits, or perhaps both. "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". Count on it.

vantexan

Hi Maury!! Funny how the numbers jump-up so high whenever I post something like this. Start your preparations, because there will be consequences this time. You'll find that employees aren't going to react the same way they did back in 1996. The word is out, it's been out, and the RLA is the biggest topic of discussion every day...on the belt, on the ramps, and everywhere else. Fred has created a rift that is widening every day, and there is bad blood throughout the company waiting for their chance. Perhaps it will be disruption or maybe lawsuits, or perhaps both. "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". Count on it.

Can't we still have a national vote with a simple majority under the RLA? Apparently the NLRA is preferred, but if language isn't included can't we go forward under the RLA?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Can't we still have a national vote with a simple majority under the RLA? Apparently the NLRA is preferred, but if language isn't included can't we go forward under the RLA?

Yes, but ending the RLA exemption would be a much easier way to go. Smith knows it. That's why he's spending so much to keep things the way they are....unfair and unbalanced.

bbsam

Staff member
You could act like an adult, realize you lost this round and work toward you ends in a constructive manner. Probably what you "should" do, but nobody really expects it of you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You could act like an adult, realize you lost this round and work toward you ends in a constructive manner. Probably what you "should" do, but nobody really expects it of you.

You could shut-up and stop making remarks regarding a situation you clearly do not understand. Since you think like Fred, that's to be expected.

ex fed exer

if fred wins you have two options.

1. walk away and find another job. hard to do in todays economy.plus, how many years have you invested in fed ex?

2. go back to work and try again later. when? i don't know.

unfortunately, even playing by Fred S's rules to the letter, it will indeed cause confusion, all fed ex people are "at will-employees." you can be terminated for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason. a few people being let go for following the rules will bring everyone back into line.

why did we fight w.w.II?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
if fred wins you have two options.

1. walk away and find another job. hard to do in todays economy.plus, how many years have you invested in fed ex?

2. go back to work and try again later. when? i don't know.

unfortunately, even playing by Fred S's rules to the letter, it will indeed cause confusion, all fed ex people are "at will-employees." you can be terminated for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason. a few people being let go for following the rules will bring everyone back into line.

why did we fight w.w.II?

If he does win it will be because he outspent his opponents. Another case of he who has the money makes the rules, which is absolutely sickening in a so-called democratic society. It shouldn't be a contest between two opposing parties that engage in a bidding war for politcians, but that's exactly what is happening. The RLA should be decided on it's merits or lack thereof, not on the thickness of Fred's wallet.

It's no wonder the little A-hole is always surrounded by bodyguards. Hitler needed them too. All dictators need to be protected from their people.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You could shut-up and stop making remarks regarding a situation you clearly do not understand. Since you think like Fred, that's to be expected.

bbsam, let me add this. All you consider is the money, which makes you a lot like your hero. As long as your pockets get lined, it's all cool with you. Screw the little people, just like the way Ground contractors eff their drivers every day. Fred wants us to be just like them.

bbsam

Staff member

About what I would expect from you. I understand things quite well. You aren't getting what you want and you are PO'd. You want everyone to act as you say and if not then "shut-up". Very Rush Limbaugh like. I have a three year old who acts like that too sometimes. She's cute though.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam, let me add this. All you consider is the money, which makes you a lot like your hero. As long as your pockets get lined, it's all cool with you. Screw the little people, just like the way Ground contractors eff their drivers every day. Fred wants us to be just like them.
I consider more than the money. I consider the job market we find ourselves in. I consider the legislative climate we are in. I consider the legal climate we are in. Put it all together and one thing seems clear: you have an uphill battle on your hands and you're going to need a comprehensive strategy within Express to achieve your goals. Even that may fail, but it's obvious that the calvary is not coming in to save the day.

The Mayor

From my understanding, under the new Federal Labor Law which took affect on July 1st, if we "lose" this and it is voted on without the language in it we could still go union if a major card action goes into play. Even though it will still have to be on a national level, the fact that it will only take a majority of card signers to win. While yes, this is still quite labor intensive and a lot of grunt work will be involved, we can still show frederick how most of us feel. Even if only 1 card is signed at each location and that person votes yes, the entire system will still have to go union under the new law. This is something to think about as well as the new law states that only a majority of card signers and no longer the 50+1 rule in effect. Maybe this is what Jimmie and the boys have been waiting for.

Many of us are planning to call in sick if Fred prevails. Watch for FedEx to require doctor's notes for absent workers. If that happens, may I suggest taking several days off and playing the FedEx game by actually going to the doctor and getting documentation of your "illness".

You play your dirty little political games, and many of us will do whatever we need to do to screw up your operation. Ironically, in most cases, it will be by following FedEx rules to the letter. Win or lose, you're going to get it.
I hope you do call in sick and try it and end up getting fired because of it.Then you end up applying for a job over at UPS and we can read your stupid rants about how UPS sucks.I******************************

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I hope you do call in sick and try it and end up getting fired because of it.Then you end up applying for a job over at UPS and we can read your stupid rants about how UPS sucks.I******************************

I love you too. It's people like you and bbsam that don't understand that there is zero room to negotiate with Fred S. We've played nice for years, and the time to be nice is long since gone. You can call it a "tantrum" (bbsam) or hope I get fired for actually doing something (FedEx Driver), but the feces is going to hit the fan whichever way it goes.

I'm not sure what got edited-out of your little rant, but if swear words are all the ammo you've got, you're already beaten. Go now, and suck-up to your fearless leader Smith. He's calling for you to brown-nose your way into his heart, and you seem more than qualified for the job. Oops, I forgot, he doesn't have one.

ex fed exer

About what I would expect from you. I understand things quite well. You aren't getting what you want and you are PO'd. You want everyone to act as you say and if not then "shut-up". Very Rush Limbaugh like. I have a three year old who acts like that too sometimes. She's cute though.

you say that now, but just wait untill smith shows you "at-will employee"

vantexan

From my understanding, under the new Federal Labor Law which took affect on July 1st, if we "lose" this and it is voted on without the language in it we could still go union if a major card action goes into play. Even though it will still have to be on a national level, the fact that it will only take a majority of card signers to win. While yes, this is still quite labor intensive and a lot of grunt work will be involved, we can still show frederick how most of us feel. Even if only 1 card is signed at each location and that person votes yes, the entire system will still have to go union under the new law. This is something to think about as well as the new law states that only a majority of card signers and no longer the 50+1 rule in effect. Maybe this is what Jimmie and the boys have been waiting for.

Not certain, but I believe it would have to be a simple majority of employees voting yes to get the union in. Are you sure you must sign a union card before being allowed to vote?