What states are allowing drivers to skip their lunch hour?

Rob12693

In California we have been required to take our lunch hour between the 4th and 5th hour. However, with the latest California Supreme Court ruling, the law no longer forces employers to enforce the lunch hour. In effect, California employees now have the option to skip their lunch and continue working. Employers cannot discipline the employee if the employee chooses to keep working.

So, UPS is still taking the position that we (UPS drivers) must still clock off for lunch regardless of the ruling, and I believe it's because of our Nor Cal Rider. I'm trying to gather information about drivers in other states and if they have been allowed to skip their lunches.

Any help?

Indecisi0n

It's a losing battle. There are drivers that have 10+ years and still tell me "man i had to skip my lunch for XXXXX reasons." I have less time than some guys boots but i still never skip my lunch. I don't get it.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Heard through the grapevine that drivers in my center who enter a lunch but work through it are now getting a talking to with their steward present. Accused of falsifying records, and told to clean up your act!

barnyard

KTM rider
Here in the midwest it is not allowed. There were rumors that some were getting away with it, but if you talk to the people that are rumored to skip, they say it was for an emergency and they were still called into the office.

This is clearly a case where California ruined it for everyone. By going to court, UPS will never risk having to go to court and waste their time and money and something they do not have to.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our BA is pulling records trying to figure out how bad the problem is. Our Center runs 150 under on average so I'm sure it's rampant.

rod

Retired 22 years
Other than punching out at the end of day- lunch was my favorite time. I never was a believer in working for free. Even on the RARE occasion I had to be off at a certain time and would skip a break I always managed to add that missed time into another days work. When asked what took so long that day I always wanted to tell them I was just making up for previous donated time but being they wouldn't understand that I would just use the same old tired excuses and life would go on. Yes I know you probably couldn't get away with stuff like that nowdays -------------or could you? ( the last time I had a UPS delivery I was bull****ting with the driver for about 10 minutes. I told him I thought you couldn't get away with stuff like that anymore. He said "getaway with what? ---I have been asking you for directions and then used your bathroom for awhile" (apparently the troops still aren't quite the robots UPS wants)

jaker

trolling
Other than punching out at the end of day- lunch was my favorite time. I never was a believer in working for free. Even on the RARE occasion I had to be off at a certain time and would skip a break I always managed to add that missed time into another days work. When asked what took so long that day I always wanted to tell them I was just making up for previous donated time but being they wouldn't understand that I would just use the same old tired excuses and life would go on. Yes I know you probably couldn't get away with stuff like that nowdays -------------or could you? ( the last time I had a UPS delivery I was bull****ting with the driver for about 10 minutes. I told him I thought you couldn't get away with stuff like that anymore. He said "getaway with what? ---I have been asking you for directions and then used your bathroom for awhile" (apparently the troops still aren't quite the robots UPS wants)
Now from what I understand when you skip your lunch you still get payed , they don't dock your lunch and you worked for free if you work 9 hours you get paid 9

Rob12693

Now from what I understand when you skip your lunch you still get payed , they don't dock your lunch and you worked for free if you work 9 hours you get paid 9

Exactly. My question is only about drivers that don't punch out for lunch and just continue
working till the job is complete. On the clock for 9 hours, and paid for 9 hours. No lunch
hour being taken out by management.

What regions have this relaxed approach to lunch?

Under the new California ruling, employees cannot be disciplined for working all day
and not taking a lunch hour. The only thing standing in the way is the interpretation of the contract.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The Central Region Supplement states that we are required to take a 30 min lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour.
In my opinion the company does not have the authority to allow drivers to skip their lunch and that any such agreement would be an extra contractual agreement.
The present management team claims that you must get permission from your center manager to take less than a half hour.
I have never asked, nor will I.
I have let them know that any discipline on this issue would be met with numerous grievances, including the company stealing time from drivers by allowing them to work through their coded lunch.
With telematics it is now undeniable that this information could be queried.
That's why on the rare occasion that I take less than my half an hour, nothing is said or done.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Last year I did not take a lunch at all during the last 2 weeks of peak season. I entered "lunch 12:00-12:00" in the DIAD, which was honest, and got paid for all hours worked. Never heard a word about it from management. And I sure as heck wasnt the only one doing it. If they were to give me a warning letter for it, it would only be in effect for 9 months which means by the time the next peak rolled around I could go ahead and do it again.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
There are many young runner -gunners in my center who put an hours lunch in the board ,but never take it. Management looks good on paper from it so nothing is done. My on car said as far as he is concerned an hour needs to be shown in the diad,and what the driver does during his lunch hour is none of managements business or concern.
These runner-gunners are also the ones crying every day because of the extra work that gets put on their car

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There are many young runner -gunners in my center who put an hours lunch in the board ,but never take it. Management looks good on paper from it so nothing is done. My on car said as far as he is concerned an hour needs to be shown in the diad,and what the driver does during his lunch hour is none of managements business or concern.
These runner-gunners are also the ones crying every day because of the extra work that gets put on their car

Your OnCar and others like him may eventually find themselves in a trick bag.
The California drivers already proved that winning a lawsuit on this issue can be done.
Additionally Art 17 of the National Master states that management will not allow employees to work without appropriate compensation.

I can't help but think that there are far more worthy organizations to donate your time than UPS.

Indecisi0n

If you are punched in on 06 code in your DIAD they automatically take an hour lunch out of your pay even if you don't put it in under break time. If your on 05 then you get paid for the entire day without taking lunch.

I say who cares. If guys are dumb enough to skip their lunch the. Let them. This way they will get hurt and then I can get a set route!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In our center there are a few guys that 05 almost everyday and run and get back between 5-6 almost all the time. Funny thing is these are the guys that really truly hate their jobs and just want to be done for the day. Oh well good chance they will wreck or get hurt and lose that job wonder how much they will hate it then.

rocket man

In California we have been required to take our lunch hour between the 4th and 5th hour. However, with the latest California Supreme Court ruling, the law no longer forces employers to enforce the lunch hour. In effect, California employees now have the option to skip their lunch and continue working. Employers cannot discipline the employee if the employee chooses to keep working.

So, UPS is still taking the position that we (UPS drivers) must still clock off for lunch regardless of the ruling, and I believe it's because of our Nor Cal Rider. I'm trying to gather information about drivers in other states and if they have been allowed to skip their lunches.
Any help?
THATS good. Then a driver gets hurt / killed ect. And the cause is stress fatigue. Because they didnt take break. a great law suit waiting to happen. if some of you can say you went a whole day with out a break you are a he man/ she woman/ and full of it. and every 8 to 10 people who skip thats a driver that could be on road . its nice to get home early but 20 to 30 years to run like a rabbit cant be done safe. ill be thinking about you when im at lunch.going to lunch dosent you have to have a sit down meal. just chill relax what ever . or break i into 30 / 15 /15 you get it.