What to expect from my Orion ride?

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Orion sucks!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
Orion was obviously not tested enough before it was purchased. Safety has been pushed aside cause im hearing horror stories from all the drivers in our center. Whoops another system that creates more problems on top of ones that have never been addressed. If the top level geeks want to justify their job, how about if we go back to asking the drivers opinion, thats a novel idea. COMMUNICATION WITHIN THE COMPANY STIMULATES PROBLEM SOLVING! Last time i checked we are on the same team, stop acting like we have fed ex stock.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Orion seems to be an example of proposed disruptive innovation, and upper management must now "make it work" because failing is arguably career suicide for some.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
I'm just glad I'm retired and don't have to put up with this Orion nonscense. Sounds like another waste of time and money debacle to me! Sounds like UPS was sold a bill of goods and rather than admit defeat and start over and do it right, it will be shoved on through as is!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Orion was obviously not tested enough before it was purchased. Safety has been pushed aside cause im hearing horror stories from all the drivers in our center. Whoops another system that creates more problems on top of ones that have never been addressed. If the top level geeks want to justify their job, how about if we go back to asking the drivers opinion, thats a novel idea. COMMUNICATION WITHIN THE COMPANY STIMULATES PROBLEM SOLVING! Last time i checked we are on the same team, stop acting like we have fed ex stock.
My FedEx stock is way up this past year.

Method$

My customers count how many times I drive by before delivering! Then give me a sarcastic "boy you sure do save those miles".

It seems Orion has a left turn quota?

thessalonian13

I wonder how Orion will affect van routes? Will it make me try to deliver a stop that is loaded in the front of the truck? Will it make move 400 packages to get to that stop?

upsbeernut

I wonder how Orion will affect van routes? Will it make me try to deliver a stop that is loaded in the front of the truck? Will it make move 400 packages to get to that stop?
Yes move all 400 out of the way dive over grab that one pounder,deliver it,make the next left turn, go back move the 400 packages grab a letter this time ,deliver it, take your lunch since its 12 noon now . After lunch in the truck, drive to your next programmed stop repeat the madness.

100% Trace

They're heeeeere. How should I treat this ride? Like a time study? Just curious.

Sent using BrownCafe App
100% by the book. Don't back in ANY DRIVEWAYS. This is how ORION reduces miles. This will be a lock in ride they will want you to sign off on at the end. Bag everything and take notes on how your route was different. They pulled all my businesses off and gave me nothing but resis so my sporh was high... Now I have my normal stuff back and they want to know why my sporh is down. Hence taking notes...these notes shut them up when they disprove their own accounts of what transpired those days.

upsbeernut

100% by the book. Don't back in ANY DRIVEWAYS. This is how ORION reduces miles. This will be a lock in ride they will want you to sign off on at the end. Bag everything and take notes on how your route was different. They pulled all my businesses off and gave me nothing but resis so my sporh was high... Now I have my normal stuff back and they want to know why my sporh is down. Hence taking notes...these notes shut them up when they disprove their own accounts of what transpired those days.
I thought Orion tells you to back in the next driveway, that's what I've been hearing. Well the sporh automatically goes down that doesn't compute (common sense gone once again) They can't have their cake and eat it too. I'm glad team Orion can sleep at night with contradictory thoughts in their heads and unusually high expectations. (I'm using big boy words now)

UPSGUY72

I thought Orion tells you to back in the next driveway, that's what I've been hearing. Well the sporh automatically goes down that doesn't compute (common sense gone once again) They can't have their cake and eat it too. I'm glad team Orion can sleep at night with contradictory thoughts in their heads and unusually high expectations. (I'm using big boy words now)

Orion doesn't tell you anything but what your next stop should be. It doesn't tell you how to get there because currently there isn't a way to show you as that function in the Diad isn't operable. Orion miles are also based on that you going to turn around at the delivery point and not drive down to cul-de-sac and turn around. It's based on that depending on where you finish you could take a different way back to the building every day.

I was covering a route the other day when the orion guy got on the car for the orion ride. He told me what the other driver told him how he he deliver the route. I told him that not how it's done where doing it the right way you can make adjustments later. I beat the time by 2 hours with a full lunch but was over by less then 2 miles. I told him I wasn't making left hand turns on a 4 lane road and on the way back to the build I told him I wasn't going the way orion wanted me to because I wasn't sitting in traffic. In the end he said good job and than asked me about another route he was riding on the next day. After I told him how the route should be run I said good luck with that driver.

Note you don't have to be at or under the miles you need to be with a couple miles of the number orion comes up with. Orion is using best result number meaning that you turn around a the deliver point and take the short direct route to the next stop whether is means making a left hand turn on a highly travel 4 lane Rd or not.

100% Trace

ORION doesn't tell you to back. The bean counter on the truck with you has an iPad like tablet that tells him where you should turn around. Bottom line.. You back in a driveway and have an accident your getting charged. Period. So my advice is tell him " I don't feel safe backing in residential driveways". It's what I did and we ran over on our miles. He wasn't happy but he doesn't have to deal with the anal exam we get when someone has a a accident.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upsbeernut

ORION doesn't tell you to back. The bean counter on the truck with you has an iPad like tablet that tells him where you should turn around. Bottom line.. You back in a driveway and have an accident your getting charged. Period. So my advice is tell him " I don't feel safe backing in residential driveways". It's what I did and we ran over on our miles. He wasn't happy but he doesn't have to deal with the anal exam we get when someone has a a accident.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Sounds like the Orion dude pushes our safe methods aside to justify the unrealistic mileage decrease without caring about the anal exam. These days its defense against offense but the same football team. Glad you stepped up and was not intimidated by his job justification.

100% Trace

Oh and be prepared when you have mileage reduction for your stop count to go up. I think this was the main reason for ORION. They say when mileage is reduced your paid day is reduced which in turn they " have" to supplement that with more stops. Good luck. We feel your pain.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upsbeernut

Oh and be prepared when you have mileage reduction for your stop count to go up. I think this was the main reason for ORION. They say when mileage is reduced your paid day is reduced which in turn they " have" to supplement that with more stops. Good luck. We feel your pain.

Sent using BrownCafe App
The consensus in our building is exactly what you said , they want more stops on the car. Kinda funny when I started asking questions they said your going to love it, its going to reduce your area size. Not sure how you can put more stops on the car without sending you down other streets. Orion=occasionally running in other neighborhoods.

100% Trace

The system really makes no sense. You will be driving by stuff all day. Some neighborhoods you will start in the front. Some you will go all the way to the back first. All while having to stay a certain percent effective in trace. If not they will question you the next morning on why you made bad decisions breaking trace. It's a joke.

Paid by the hour

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The system really makes no sense. You will be driving by stuff all day. Some neighborhoods you will start in the front. Some you will go all the way to the back first. All while having to stay a certain percent effective in trace. If not they will question you the next morning on why you made bad decisions breaking trace. It's a joke.

I am at full scale, meaning I make just over $50 an hour on OT. Want to question me about my previous day's ORION trace? No problem, we can talk about it all day. The meter is running.

upsbeernut

Paid by the hour
When I run my route I run it in sections since I've inherited some pickups not any where near me cause a driver got fired and his route was dissolved and no one filed a grievance to have it put back in. I have heard the same story from my co workers which makes us look very unprofessional by driving thru the neighborhood sometimes three times. I think your allowed to break trace 8 times. I don't have it yet, the anxiety is killing me.

100% Trace

Trace breaks will depend on where your center manager has your percent effective trace set And how many stops you have. Example... 150 stops at 90% trace depends on number of trace breaks. Ours is set at 90% because we have An over achiever/ butt kisser for a center manager. Hope you don't get it before peak. It's a worse roll out than EDD. Need a good 6 months to START working out the kinks

Paid by the hour