What UPS is doing to survive this bad economy

UPS Lifer

Yeah, and Tony Stewart is an athlete, he is a fat pig. Give me a break.

Yeah! I thought the same thing until I got behind the wheel of a Busch series race car at California Motor Speedway. I only went 165 MPH with other race cars on the track.... but that was fast enough for me! Not only do you have to get used to the G force you have to have lighting quick reflexes.

I have a renewed respect for ALL race car drivers after that experience.

It always amazes me how people "pop off" with no experience about what they are talking about!

JMO - Walk a mile in someone else's shoes and you will probably have less desire to show them disrespect!

UPS Lifer

"I guess you would call cheerleading a sport also?"

Upaxed....I actually caught a debate on TV yesterday where the subject was whether or not cheerleading was a contact sport. It was controversial because of severe spinal injuries & death incurred by today's cheerleaders.

I saw that same debate about that controversial decision about the cheerleaders being able to sue. I realize that "contact sport" was the real issue... The decision could have gone either way.

Definition of "sport" - an activity of physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

UPS Lifer

Unemployment rate in California hit 9.8%. That's almost one in ten working Californians. My daughter is one of those vast unemployed with few good job opportunities available. It's getting bad.

I have two sons in the same boat in CA! I keep telling them take any job you can get because soon there will be nothing out there.

Fast food chains such as "In-N-Out" should be fairly recession proof. As a parent I want to kick my kids in their :censored2:.

I just heard 2nd hand that one of our friends friends got laid off and started collecting unemployment in California and went to cash the 1st check and it BOUNCED! Talk about a slap in the face!

I wonder if the welfare checks are bouncing in CA yet? Anybody know?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Like the numbers reported this morning....jobless numbers.... nobody mentioned that my son-in-law came off the jobless list and started a job at G.E. in Vegas on Monday. They only report the negative news.:knockedout:

UPS Lifer

Like the numbers reported this morning....jobless numbers.... nobody mentioned that my son-in-law came off the jobless list and started a job at G.E. in Vegas on Monday. They only report the negative news.:knockedout:

Our Phoenix news reports companies that are hiring in the valley on a regular basis.

I am not sure but I think the official stats reflect the difference between jobs added and those eliminated. So right now you will see nothing but negative numbers.

Also...
Companies that announce widespread job cuts get news coverage. The same as if there was a company with widespread hiring. Unfortunately, there is very little good news to report.

I think I read that on page d-12 of my local paper. Is his name ....something Sixpack?

UPAXED

UPS Lifer;I saw that same debate about that controversial decision about the cheerleaders being able to sue. I realize that "contact sport" was the real issue... The decision could have gone either way.

Definition of "sport" - an activity of physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
-----------------------------------------------------
"Oh My Gaw"....I saw that same show....and I was like........"Oh my Gaw" "That is so truuuuue"...Totally![/quote]

FAVREFAN

Yeah! I thought the same thing until I got behind the wheel of a Busch series race car at California Motor Speedway. I only went 165 MPH with other race cars on the track.... but that was fast enough for me! Not only do you have to get used to the G force you have to have lighting quick reflexes.

I have a renewed respect for ALL race car drivers after that experience.

It always amazes me how people "pop off" with no experience about what they are talking about!

JMO - Walk a mile in someone else's shoes and you will probably have less desire to show them disrespect!
"Lightning quick reflexes". Go to a superbike,F1 or A1GP and sometimes IRL race, then you'll see lightning quick left and right turns within 1 second at 200+ miles per hour. 165, turning left over and over, lightning quick, lmao!

HBGPreloader

...Nascar is beneath you, but it has become the 4th most popular "sport" in the US. Those tens of thousands of fans are the ones we need to keep advertising to.
Now here's something I really know and can comment about. My career is outdoor advertising, signs and vehicle graphics.

Our "brown" package cars and drivers are one of, if not the best form of advertising available to UPS and it should be treated as such. These employees and their cars are worth their weight in gold in terms of advertising dollars.

A typical delivery vehicle, traveling 25,000 mile per year in a metropolitan area will make 2.2 million impressions in that time period. In simple terms, for every mile a UPS package car is driven, on average, it will be viewed by 88 people.

So, from the info I found here...
http://www.sustainability.ups.com/social/health/training.html
UPS will make 176 billion (176,000,000,000) advertising impressions per year with it's vehicles alone. If you do the math, it means every man, woman and child on this earth will see a UPS truck at least 26 times a year.

Now $10 million (plus or minus) spent annually on sponsoring a nascar driver can be put towards better uses, such as maintaining or creating a few positions for displaced workers who would be responsible for maintaining the appearance of UPS' current fleet. It may not sound like much, but it can mean a world of difference for the person who was just laid off.

Checkers

govols019

You smell that?
"Lightning quick reflexes". Go to a superbike,F1 or A1GP and sometimes IRL race, then you'll see lightning quick left and right turns within 1 second at 200+ miles per hour. 165, turning left over and over, lightning quick, lmao!

Whats the last auto race you entered? Build you a car, run it at a local dirt track and then come back here and talk. Until then, you're just talking out of your butt.

IRL race? They're still around? I thought all their drivers came to NASCAR.

UPAXED

Now $10 million (plus or minus) spent annually on sponsoring a nascar driver can be put towards better uses, such as maintaining or creating a few positions for displaced workers who would be responsible for maintaining the appearance of UPS' current fleet. It may not sound like much, but it can mean a world of difference for the person who was just laid off.

Checkers[/quote]

10 million.......no kiddin. Now you guys tell me how some bean counter chained to a desk in cubicle C-7 can justify that as a tax write off.

It will be interesting to see how UPS functions with a "no overtime policy" at SDF and all these big air hubs. I've had an inside manager tell me that it can't be done. We'll see how long the layoffs in ACMX lasts.

Last edited:

tiegirl

tiegirl
Answer to this What UPS is doing to survive this bad economy

Yes. I work in an office environment and we were brought in groups at a time and told that their was a bill in legislation pending an approval that would change how a union could operate. This would be the 1st time in 75 years a bill has been addressed by the government. However, they also told us that they do not want a union to mange management people. That we would be able to work out issues and differences among ourselves and did not need a union that we would have to pay union dues to. We are in SC, we are not used to dealing with a union any way. We are all still confused why they even told us about the union. The union has not approached us an we do not expect them to. Sorty different here in the south.

quote=kingOFchester;468400]Ditto. Also, some big wigs came in to the preload and had a talk with the part time supes.........explaining to them that going union would be a bad move. Looks like UPS is worried about their own turning union due to Obama and the possible Card check. They were all told that since Obama is so tight with the unions that the Card Check may go thru. Also told them how it would be a bad move for UPS to have some of mgmt join the union ranks. a lot of ass kissing. Ayone hear of this???[/quote]

705red

Browncafe Steward
Management does have the right to unionize! You see it all across the country. Some warehouse's have leads/sups that actually even belong to the same union as the employees they supervise.

Union agents even have the right to join another union for protection against their own union officers!

FAVREFAN

Whats the last auto race you entered? Build you a car, run it at a local dirt track and then come back here and talk. Until then, you're just talking out of your butt.

IRL race? They're still around? I thought all their drivers came to NASCAR.
"Build you a car"....nice. I believe you guys have 29 cars out of 43 with full sponsorship for '09. An engine supplier probably in it's last year with Nascar(Dodge) And 2 more who may be forced to withdraw in the next few years(GM and Ford) I smell a fat lady.

FAVREFAN

Now here's something I really know and can comment about. My career is outdoor advertising, signs and vehicle graphics.

Our "brown" package cars and drivers are one of, if not the best form of advertising available to UPS and it should be treated as such. These employees and their cars are worth their weight in gold in terms of advertising dollars.

A typical delivery vehicle, traveling 25,000 mile per year in a metropolitan area will make 2.2 million impressions in that time period. In simple terms, for every mile a UPS package car is driven, on average, it will be viewed by 88 people.

So, from the info I found here...
http://www.sustainability.ups.com/social/health/training.html
UPS will make 176 billion (176,000,000,000) advertising impressions per year with it's vehicles alone. If you do the math, it means every man, woman and child on this earth will see a UPS truck at least 26 times a year.

Checkers
$10 million? Try $20 million just for the driver/car for '09. Never mind the millions they pour into it each weekend on support/logistics and other advertising.

FAVREFAN

Re: Answer to this What UPS is doing to survive this bad economy

Yes. I work in an office environment and we were brought in groups at a time and told that their was a bill in legislation pending an approval that would change how a union could operate. This would be the 1st time in 75 years a bill has been addressed by the government. However, they also told us that they do not want a union to mange management people. That we would be able to work out issues and differences among ourselves and did not need a union that we would have to pay union dues to. We are in SC, we are not used to dealing with a union any way. We are all still confused why they even told us about the union. The union has not approached us an we do not expect them to. Sorty different here in the south.

quote=kingOFchester;468400]Ditto. Also, some big wigs came in to the preload and had a talk with the part time supes.........explaining to them that going union would be a bad move. Looks like UPS is worried about their own turning union due to Obama and the possible Card check. They were all told that since Obama is so tight with the unions that the Card Check may go thru. Also told them how it would be a bad move for UPS to have some of mgmt join the union ranks. a lot of ass kissing. Ayone hear of this???
[/quote]
I hope it happens.