What UPS is doing to survive this bad economy

BrownSuit

Ditto. Also, some big wigs came in to the preload and had a talk with the part time supes.........explaining to them that going union would be a bad move. Looks like UPS is worried about their own turning union due to Obama and the possible Card check. They were all told that since Obama is so tight with the unions that the Card Check may go thru. Also told them how it would be a bad move for UPS to have some of mgmt join the union ranks. a lot of ass kissing. Ayone hear of this???

haven't gotten the full details from my Brother inlaw. just saw him in passing. His exact quote was ................."they are trying to comvince us that we (management) would not bennefit from going union.......more butt kissing" They specificly mentioned Obama and his promises to the unions.

For those who think that the card check will not affect UPS....you may be right, unless managemnt goes unuion as well. That certainly will cause their expenses to go up!

So maybe I'm a little dense, but how does management at any company unionize?

Also, your source on all of this is your brother-in-law who you really only spoke with briefly, assumed that the people that he was talking with were "big wigs" and from the sounds of it took a lot out of context. Is this about right?

Also, any company should be more concerned about Obama's Labor Secretary Pick than him.

As for Obama himself, can you elaborate on any of these "promises"? Provide some links from reputable news outlets?

Are you also sure that what you are seeing isn't related to QPR talk withs or people getting ready for the merit increases? It could also be discussions on post-peak plans including lateral moves. It could be anything for that matter. Your source is second hand and a bad secondhand source at that.

I hope they don't cut the dividend.

I would be very surprised if this happens as it hasn't since the stock went public. It may not go up as much, but I would be shocked if it was cut.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Our center is trying voluntary days off in hopes that we don't have to lose anyone.
We haven't had any lay-offs, yet. Last week we had 3 drivers sitting around twiddling or thumbs waiting to find out what we were doing. It happened 3 days. Finally 3 senior drivers went home. At this point I'd take a free weeks vacation. :happy2:

UPAXED

UPS is laying off people, cutting back daily flights, letting people go "to cut cost", but there still throwing a million or two at that loser turd car that only turns left? What a joke! They should be ashamed....:whiteflag:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
UPS is laying off people, cutting back daily flights, letting people go "to cut cost", but there still throwing a million or two at that loser turd car that only turns left? What a joke! They should be ashamed....:whiteflag:

UPS like many Fortune 500 companies have an advertising budget. I am sure this number is pretty large, BUT our company needs to keep our logo and name in the public's eye. You may feel Nascar is beneath you, but it has become the 4th most popular "sport" in the US. Those tens of thousands of fans are the ones we need to keep advertising to.

We are still going to the same business stops everyday, but its those residential deliveries we need so we can regain routes in our buildings. If you think UPS will trim 10% of their advertising budget so they can put an extra route in every center in America, you are sadly mistaken. Let's leave the business part of the company to the professionals

emmasdad

RAW--Be happy you're even getting a raise. I spent 15 yrs with UPS driving and as management before I decided to switch gears in 2000 and change professions. I work for a DoD contractor as a full time employee now and our company is laying people off next month although I'm not affected. I remember all of those guaranteed pay raises and the job security from UPS once you get enough years under your belt. Trust me, most people wish they got a raise and are happy they aren't losing their jobs. I wish you the best.

705red

Browncafe Steward
UPS like many Fortune 500 companies have an advertising budget. I am sure this number is pretty large, BUT our company needs to keep our logo and name in the public's eye. You may feel Nascar is beneath you, but it has become the 4th most popular "sport" in the US. Those tens of thousands of fans are the ones we need to keep advertising to.

I cant remember the last time i delivered a 12 pack of milwaukees best!:happy-very:

We are still going to the same business stops everyday, but its those residential deliveries we need so we can regain routes in our buildings. If you think UPS will trim 10% of their advertising budget so they can put an extra route in every center in America, you are sadly mistaken. Let's leave the business part of the company to the professionals

Did i miss the press release? Have they hired some?

Raw

Raw Member
RAW--Be happy you're even getting a raise. I spent 15 yrs with UPS driving and as management before I decided to switch gears in 2000 and change professions. I work for a DoD contractor as a full time employee now and our company is laying people off next month although I'm not affected. I remember all of those guaranteed pay raises and the job security from UPS once you get enough years under your belt. Trust me, most people wish they got a raise and are happy they aren't losing their jobs. I wish you the best.
Happy I have a job? LOL!! UPS should be happy to have me. I have been a full-time driver since the mid 1980`s. Driver lay offs only mean OVERTIME for me!! UPS would rather have us seasoned drivers with over 20 years safe driving on the road anyway!!:peaceful:

More like 20 million plus another 10 in marketing. But hey who`s counting.

ups767mech

Happy I have a job? LOL!! UPS should be happy to have me. I have been a full-time driver since the mid 1980`s. Driver lay offs only mean OVERTIME for me!! UPS would rather have us seasoned drivers with over 20 years safe driving on the road anyway!!:peaceful:

Hence the problem with unionism these days. Its all about me. You shouldnt even think about working overtime while your "brothers/sisters" are being laid off.

UPAXED

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Nascar car fans are the movers and shakers of the world. I'm sure UPS stock would plummet without the advertising of that car. Good news is its so slow everyone can get a good look at it, so at least were getting our moneys worth.:greedy:
AND ITS NOT A SPORT!:biting: