What would it take for you to jump ship? Realistically

Zowert

I’ve only been with UPS for 4 months, package delivery driver, but thoughts of what I could be doing are already going through my head. Then again there’s not much more I could do for equal pay and benefits with a high diploma.

Holy crap, dude told me he works 100 hour weeks. What kind of life is that? And he has kids. Not for me I guess
Transfer to eastern Montana near Williston. There was a time a few years ago that you could go the next day. Without being on their transfer list.

in_jail_out_soon

I’m from Nodak, the oil is very off and on for the past couple of years but hey if you don’t like it you can come back and be a driver anywhere on the west side... most people walk on as drivers here but the turn over rate is quite high.

What part of Nodak are you from? I mentioned it early but I spent 4 years at Grand Forks AFB back in the 70's. It was a hard duty but I was only 18 at the time, it probably has changed a lot. Occasionally we all would jump in a car to go to Winnipeg for the weekend to get to a big city. I still remember that you could see the aurora borealis from the base, it has a lot of scenic beauty but those winters and red river flooding.

I’m from the Williston area, it’s changed a ton... it’s definitely the Wild West out here. If I were to give San Francisco rush any advice it would be, stay where your at. Even for the oil job. About 4 years ago the oil was booming since then it’s been dropping off a lot and a ton of them get fired/laid off. I’m not sure I would trust the job security. You also get a ton of clowns that come into this state for oil. The male to female ratio is at least 10 to 1. The scenery is very nice but there’s absolutely nothing to do besides hunt and fish. Almost everybody I know would leave here in a heartbeat to work at a different UPS hub. Ups seems ass backwards here. All management is usually driving and 1-2 drivers quit a week. It’s been like this for years. Coming from San Francisco to nodak would be such a culture shock.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
R
I’m from the Williston area, it’s changed a ton... it’s definitely the Wild West out here. If I were to give San Francisco rush any advice it would be, stay where your at. Even for the oil job. About 4 years ago the oil was booming since then it’s been dropping off a lot and a ton of them get fired/laid off. I’m not sure I would trust the job security. You also get a ton of clowns that come into this state for oil. The male to female ratio is at least 10 to 1. The scenery is very nice but there’s absolutely nothing to do besides hunt and fish. Almost everybody I know would leave here in a heartbeat to work at a different UPS hub. Ups seems ass backwards here. All management is usually driving and 1-2 drivers quit a week. It’s been like this for years. Coming from San Francisco to nodak would be such a culture shock.
ight on I appreciate your insight. I lived in Colorado for 8 years and even have some family owned land out there. I’ve lived in the country before. I passed on the offer. I’d be taking like 2 steps back in life. Thx again

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
If it were easy everyone would do it. My situation is almost identical to yours, it's taken me over a decade of working multiple jobs waiting to drive, and languishing for 4 years in progression. I've been paying off debts and socking away as much as I could. At top rate I expect to be where I want to be in a few more years.
I realize your cost of living is probably higher, so it could take you even longer. You might look into transferring to a more affordable location and stick with UPS for a while.
Yeah I’m staying put. Just put a transfer in to a hub kind of near Lake Yahoe area. Thanks for the input

barnyard

KTM rider
One of my daughters lives in North Central Montana. I suspect that in 5 years, we will move out by her. My wife is a special ed teacher, so she will not have a problem finding a job. I am torn with what I will do.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
One of my daughters lives in North Central Montana. I suspect that in 5 years, we will move out by her. My wife is a special ed teacher, so she will not have a problem finding a job. I am torn with what I will do.
You wouldn’t work at ups??? Might be able to go feeder...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yeah I’m staying put. Just put a transfer in to a hub kind of near Lake Yahoe area. Thanks for the input
I’ve driven that “hwy” from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe.... one of the most beautiful roads I’ve ever driven... would be hell during the winter especially with a set....

brett636

I guess I don't qualify to comment on this topic, but I will. Been with the company 18 years with the last 12 being fulltime. My exit strategy is solid financial planning resulting in me becoming financially independent from UPS. My hope is one day my assets are sufficient enough to generate an income equal too or greater than my living expenses. Sure this exit strategy will take several years to pan out, but I like my job so its a no brainer that I plan on hanging around for awhile.

barnyard

KTM rider
You wouldn’t work at ups??? Might be able to go feeder...

I would have to quit locally to get rehired there and then go through progression again. friend-that. I am feeder qualified in a building where I will never have enough seniority to hold a FT feeder gig. Sucks to be me. Although when the top guy retires, I will cover 12-14 weeks a year.

I would have to quit locally to get rehired there and then go through progression again. friend-that. I am feeder qualified in a building where I will never have enough seniority to hold a FT feeder gig. Sucks to be me. Although when the top guy retires, I will cover 12-14 weeks a year.
Kalispell was looking for a transfer back in January.