What would it take for you to jump ship? Realistically

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My dad worked for ups for 38 years, Circle of Honor driver, i grew up saying id never be a ups driver.
I did a double take when i read this. I retired after 38 years and 34 years safe driving. My son started working in the hub when he was in high school. He left on good terms to join the military, got out and went back to work for ups. He is currently a supervisor in the same feeder department I worked in for 29 years. He seems to like it. I tried to talk him out of going to the dark side, but he thought it was the best for his family.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You can't beat the pay and benefits. I think I would stick here mostly because of the job security. I try not to do dumb :censored2: so it would be difficult for them to fire me.
I can’t believe there aren’t dozens of your male coworkers who don’t have restraining orders against you

MethodsMan

Some of you act like UPS is some kind of life sentence.

Its a pretty stress free job really. Unless you can't handle working at decent pace. If you stay in good shape the physical aspect is cake. We make close to $100k, sometimes more for delivering cardboard to people doorsteps.

The only part that really sucks to me is dealing with inclement weather.

I have friends that went to 4 years of college with bachelor degrees and plenty of student loan debt who don't make nearly what we make.

Its not that bad.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Its a pretty stress free job really. Unless you can't handle working at decent pace. If you stay in good shape the physical aspect is cake. We make close to $100k, sometimes more for delivering cardboard to people doorsteps.

I have friends that went to 4 years of college with bachelor degrees and plenty of student loan debt who don't make nearly what we make.

Its not that bad.

Sticking with UPS until retirement is a good plan b for me. My issue is that I know that I am capable of more than delivering packages. I don't feel that I am too good for it, I've taken janitorial jobs when necessary, but I have more to offer the world than either job allows. I have worked in management but none of the companies I've worked for promote based on merit, and I'm not very good at kissing up to bosses, especially ones who aren't competent.

I had the idea that if I could work my way up in a company, I could change things for the better. Experience has taught me that this is a contradiction. If you don't demonstrate that you are sold out to the company, you have little chance of making it beyond a low level of management, regardless of how well you perform. There is always someone above you to take credit for your work.
Since changing things from the inside isn't going to happen, my best bet is to start something of my own and run it as I see fit.

That's just me though. I know some people have issues with the work/life balance that cause them to want to look elsewhere.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
This question pertains to drivers with no more than 10 years seniority. Assuming most of us having no higher education or any real back up plan, how would you go about getting out?

Personally, sometimes I feel so trapped in this job. The good pay, job security, and benefits I’m very grateful for. But I sometimes ask myself if I am willing to be married to this job and location for another 20 years.

A friend of a friend offered me a job working on an oil rig that pays at least 2x what we make. Would have to move the wife and kids half way across the country. Not looking for advice here, just wondering what deal would you take to move on?
Ever see Armageddon? Nuff said.

RockyMountainBob

Right of way? I'm bigger so you move.
I would jump ship for a job of equal pay that had same benefits and whose supervisors/managers showed a little appreciation more than once or twice a year. And for a company who show their appreciation to their employees through more than just a "weekly" paycheck. For example, company parties, bonuses during the holidays, founders day parties at centers, bring back safety reward prizes out of catalogs, monthly bbqs, etc. My point being something more than just a "paycheck".

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
No..No.. Don't go there.. I spent 4 years on a SAC/Missile base in Grand Forks in the early 70's..You haven't seen a winter till you seen one in North Dakota. Snows till April, melts/floods than the mosquitos big as your hand come out. Fours hours of daylight in the winter, you got to plug in your car to keep it running so standard issue is extension cords and jumper cables. People die up there during their blizzards, the worst I lived thru was 60 below with a 80 below wind chill factor, total white out could not see my hand in front of my eyes. All flat, nothing but fields of sunflowers and potatoes, all the farmers leave the state when winter is near. It is like going back to the 1800's for most of the state, their major dance step is clogging I kid you not.

Granted with the oil boom up there things have changed and I an talking about being there 50 years ago. If you like the rustic outdoors and privacy it is the state to go to, just be prepared.
I found out that the schedule is 20 hours on and 10 hours off. Some simple number crunching led me to that we make much more. Not including we are union. But they pay for your housing and travel expenses. Still not worth it. I’m not going anywhere.

sikidiki

ehhh, college for hard working folk, ups for lazy people?

what you smokin?
As in id rather not study other subjects that dont pertain to my major, taking classes i dont need. Doing hours of homework all for a career that may not pay as much as ups or have as good of benefits. Id rather work, earn money, be done. Not study for hours on end, do homework for hours on end and then try to find a job in the field i studied in, possibly move, repay all the debt i got from going to school in the first place, no thanks.

John Boy

I would jump ship for a job of equal pay that had same benefits and whose supervisors/managers showed a little appreciation more than once or twice a year. And for a company who show their appreciation to their employees through more than just a "weekly" paycheck. For example, company parties, bonuses during the holidays, founders day parties at centers, bring back safety reward prizes out of catalogs, monthly bbqs, etc. My point being something more than just a "paycheck".
Everything is just a number now brother. Company has changed too much for them to care about things like that anymore

BrownSkid

LeBrown Shames

Its not that bad.
I agree, I stay off the radar and earn my yearly average 130k.
With the new contract language however, makes me wonder if my OT days are numbered.
I never complain about it either...

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
Well the guy who informed about the job said he’s never made less than 160k. But I dont know how many hours guy is pulling so...
The son of a guy I work with works on an oil rig. He said the money is great when you are working but there are times when he might not work for six months at a time. To clarify, this was a few years ago and the work is likely more steady now but there's no guarantee that the work will be there in the future.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
1. You still have low taxes
2. English is the second language in some areas of Texas
3. As homes and other things become more expensive. Pay goes up with it. That will be a wash. Houses will never be too expensive because there is plenty of land in Texas.
4. Gas prices will grow as people move there. Sorry.
5. You can own guns in CA. Illinois has even stricter laws.
6. Red light tickets get thrown out in court
7. I grew up in CA and have visited family in Texas plenty of times. I'd say people being nicer is a myth. More hospitable to strangers maybe. But people are people no matter where they live.
8. Liberals don't want to move to Texas period the end. How do you figure liberals "destroy their cities" lol. California has a booming economy. Growing up there and now living out of state. I don't notice any difference in day to day life. It's a bit cheaper I guess. House prices can be cheaper. I read crazy stuff about CA all the time. Other than reading about it. Life is pretty normal.
I wonder how many stories there have been like this in Texas recently. Complaints soar as San Francisco drowns in human waste