What would it take for you to jump ship? Realistically

Hroller

I was in another career in the media for about 30 years before UPS. Made crap money in my early years. The last half.....did alright. Could have done a LOT better if I was willing to move to a larger market.
I thought I worked hard.....boring meetings....boring conference calls....and hours in front of a computer. I took as long as I wanted for lunch....if I needed a haircut....dentist appointment, meeting with my kid's teacher etc....I did it.

Went to work at UPS....they OWN you for 11 hours a day!

My co-workers think $36 is a lot of money....because....that is the MOST they ever made. I'm not saying it is bad....but there is a big world of opportunity out there.
There is money to be made ….out there if you are innovative.....and YOU are in control.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
"He tells these stories as we drive along the orderly streets of Plano—a city that looks remarkably like anyplace else except that its sidewalks are a little cleaner, its cars newer, its lawns more carefully tended—accentuating what he already knows too well: This wasn’t supposed to happen here. Plano is one of Texas’ most affluent communities (median income: $58,000) and one of the safest cities in the nation (number ten, according to Money magazine’s 1997 rankings)."

Sounds like a decent place except for the drugs. I'd rather live here and just not do drugs than live in San Francisco.

MAKAVELI

"He tells these stories as we drive along the orderly streets of Plano—a city that looks remarkably like anyplace else except that its sidewalks are a little cleaner, its cars newer, its lawns more carefully tended—accentuating what he already knows too well: This wasn’t supposed to happen here. Plano is one of Texas’ most affluent communities (median income: $58,000) and one of the safest cities in the nation (number ten, according to Money magazine’s 1997 rankings)."

Sounds like a decent place except for the drugs. I'd rather live here and just not do drugs than live in San Francisco.
Big city= out in the open. Small suburb=behind closed doors. Point is drug abuse happens everywhere. Ttku

Yaba Daba Do

Big city= out in the open. Small suburb=behind closed doors. Point is drug abuse happens everywhere. Ttku
I agree 100%. They should absolutely stop the drugs from coming in and go after the people selling them. My point was more about the homeless epidemic and smile* in the streets.

MAKAVELI

I agree 100%. They should absolutely stop the drugs from coming in and go after the people selling them. My point was more about the homeless epidemic and smile* in the streets.
San Francisco is an expensive city to live in. So naturally there will be homeless. It really is not a new phenomenon that homeless urinate and defecate on the street. Every major metropolitan city has similar problems.

Yaba Daba Do

San Francisco is an expensive city to live in. So naturally there will be homeless. It really is not a new phenomenon that homeless urinate and defecate on the street. Every major metropolitan city has similar problems.
San Francisco is the only one that i am aware of that has "poop maps". San Fran is almost twice the size of NYC with about half the population and 50 times the poo. Most of their housing is single family homes, they have very few apartments. If they won't allow apartments or condos to alleviate some of the housing shortage then it's just more of the same for the foreseeable future.

MAKAVELI

San Francisco is the only one that i am aware of that has "poop maps". San Fran is almost twice the size of NYC with about half the population and 50 times the poo. Most of their housing is single family homes, they have very few apartments. If they won't allow apartments or condos to alleviate some of the housing shortage then it's just more of the same for the foreseeable future.
Lol. There literally is no more land to build on in the city. And sorry New York is bigger in both area and population.

Yaba Daba Do

Lol. There literally is no more land to build on in the city. And sorry New York is bigger in both area and population.
My fault, San Fran is twice the size of Manhattan not all of NYC. There were over 4,000 new homes built in San Francisco last year which was more than any year since 1998 besides 2016.

Yaba Daba Do

Most of those new homes are built on top of old homes.
Maybe but there would be far more apartments or condos if the city didn't discourage the construction of them. Apartments cost around $425,000 per unit to build because of rules, regulations, and hoops developers have to jump through to build them. I can understand not wanting apartment buildings obstructing views and such but that is the only way to create more housing to help the problem otherwise nothing will change.

F

Frankie's Friend

O&G sectors are heating up again, but much like 5 years ago, it can end just as quick. I worked my ass saving and paying off everything so that if I did bounce, I’d be ok in whatever I landed in. I’ve saved up enough that even if I just let it grow without contributing more the compounding interest would be enough to retire at 55.

My advice, live on half of what you make, save the rest, get in a position that if something did happen, you can just open another chapter in your life without money being the driving factor to your new job.
And bank every raise increase, every year, all of them.

MAKAVELI

Maybe but there would be far more apartments or condos if the city didn't discourage the construction of them. Apartments cost around $425,000 per unit to build because of rules, regulations, and hoops developers have to jump through to build them. I can understand not wanting apartment buildings obstructing views and such but that is the only way to create more housing to help the problem otherwise nothing will change.
Sorry bro the cost to build is mostly due to the cost of the land. You have no clue as to what drives the cost of housing in California.

F

Frankie's Friend

People who move from California to Texas because Texas is cheap. And that on that note the OP should check the cost of living in North Dakota. It has skyrocketed since the oil boom of there.
Dont worry, you'll be mostly living on the rig property.

My family made killer money off the gulf and one of them said when he cashed his 2 wk paycheck he couldn't find his wallet.

Yaba Daba Do

Sorry bro the cost to build is mostly due to the cost of the land. You have no clue as to what drives the cost of housing in California.
UC Berkeley's Terner Center for Housing Innovation surveyed developers, contractors, architects and nonprofits building market-rate and affordable residential projects on why costs are so high. Respondents said that city agencies have a complex and unwieldy permitting process, noting “additional hoops and requirements seem to pop up at various stages in the process." They also pointed out that building inspections that aren't standardized and lack of coordination between departments adds time to the process.

F

Frankie's Friend

Some of you act like UPS is some kind of life sentence.

Its a pretty stress free job really. Unless you can't handle working at decent pace. If you stay in good shape the physical aspect is cake. We make close to $100k, sometimes more for delivering cardboard to people doorsteps.

The only part that really sucks to me is dealing with inclement weather.

I have friends that went to 4 years of college with bachelor degrees and plenty of student loan debt who don't make nearly what we make.

Its not that bad.
Yeah and dude, alot of my coworkers get a new wife every 6 or 7 years because they're never around or too tired to tango.

There's a silver lining in every dark cloud.

MAKAVELI

UC Berkeley's Terner Center for Housing Innovation surveyed developers, contractors, architects and nonprofits building market-rate and affordable residential projects on why costs are so high. Respondents said that city agencies have a complex and unwieldy permitting process, noting “additional hoops and requirements seem to pop up at various stages in the process." They also pointed out that building inspections that aren't standardized and lack of coordination between departments adds time to the process.
While I'll conceed zoning plays a part in the costs, the city does not want to become NYC and it's infrastructure simply couldn't support that type of growth. Thus supply and demand are the main reasons for the high cost of housing.

in_jail_out_soon

i hear they make a lot more money hauling oil in Texas. if i lived down there i would quit in a heartbeat.
The job offered to me is in North Dakota. Brutal winters. Drastic change from California weather eh?

I’m from Nodak, the oil is very off and on for the past couple of years but hey if you don’t like it you can come back and be a driver anywhere on the west side... most people walk on as drivers here but the turn over rate is quite high.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I’m from Nodak, the oil is very off and on for the past couple of years but hey if you don’t like it you can come back and be a driver anywhere on the west side... most people walk on as drivers here but the turn over rate is quite high.

What part of Nodak are you from? I mentioned it early but I spent 4 years at Grand Forks AFB back in the 70's. It was a hard duty but I was only 18 at the time, it probably has changed a lot. Occasionally we all would jump in a car to go to Winnipeg for the weekend to get to a big city. I still remember that you could see the aurora borealis from the base, it has a lot of scenic beauty but those winters and red river flooding.