Whats so Bad about this Contract?

705red

Browncafe Steward
First off I think for what we get in benifits getting a little less this time around in wages is more then fair, did you know the full time sups pay a premium of about $250 a month for medical?
Second how many more 22.3 jobs dose UPS really need?
I see alot of combo job workers who lets just put it nicely are not the most productive workers. These have got to be the most unproductive jobs, if this was such a big deal the union would have pushed harder for them.
As for the nine five language, as you said you are entitled to 20 8hr days, use them, get on the 9.5 list and use the grivence procedure if there is a problem, you think the fed-ex ground grivers have any grivence for 12 hour days?
Last why is everyone so worryed about the part-timers who re even born yet?
If the union was so worryed about them they would have gotten more for them and maybe less for the full-timers, but then who pays higher dues?
I believ that you need to go back through my post, read it, take it in for a minute than understand it. You read it with out understanding its meanings! What exactly do you do for ups?

You are comparing a nonunion company and management to a contract covered group of ups teamsters. If you are ptime you can go to white castle for 7.75 and medical benefits to flip sliders, which is also nonunion.

In 1982 the tables got turned on the ptimers, in 97 the ptimers made out with thousands of new ftime jobs, a higher starting pay, in 02 the ptimers received prescrption cards and thousands of new ftime jobs. Can you tell me what the 08 contract is doing for the parttimers? Thiswill take a while for anyone to answer, because im still looking through the contract for 1 good incentive for a ptimer to vote yes on.

W

westsideworma

I Dont Think Management Should Be A Member Of The Brown Cafe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+ Thay Pay $250.00 A Month For There Health Care But Remeber Thay Make A Lot More Than A Driver Makes + All The Stock Thay Get Each Year .

hate to break it to you but we pay no where near that....least not around here. What we pay is comparable to what you guys pay for dues....

also, most drivers make more per hour worked than FT management these days...sorry to burst your bubble.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"I Dont Think Management Should Be A Member Of The Brown Cafe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

jccuch....then you must be really PO'd about a non-UPS person being on this site

GROW UP !!:closedeye

Leftinbuilding

First off Brownshark, I am a Teamster and a driver, I hate losers like you who come to work in the morning, cry about your dispatch or your something about your route, decide aall day your going to screw managment and in the end just screw your fellow drivers by us having to clean up your mess.
This is a fair contract, I am still waiting for whats so bad about this deal?

Outstanding post!! Don't let em beat you down. They only want to allow one opinion, and it must be doom and gloom. I am with you, not a bad contract at all.

Cole

I am very puzzled as well about this contract in that it offers no incentive for part-timers to vote yes for it. They were hard and in tough conditions and deserve their fair share, and fair opportunities. I will never forget my part time years.

As far as drivers out to screw mngmnt. LOL, The onle ones I hear say that are the one's with 20 or so extra stops, that tried to tell mgmnt the problem, and it reoccurs, so they say they will not take any short cuts to get off any earlier.

How long have you been driving, 1 year?

Griff

It's hilarious to me how many fellow Teamsters are bad at math. If you cannot figure out why split raises are a bad thing, there really is no hope for your offspring. This contract is a complete and total step backward, we will not gain any ground under this contract. Smaller raises, horrendous language on key issues, no stop to usps subcontracting and others, technology now becomes a valid form of harassment and discipline. UPS is giddy to get this thing inked, wait until you see their profit margins under this joke of a contract. All the suits in my area are out in full force trying to spread the "YES" vote like a disease. I mean just look at Tieguy and the rest of the scabs on this site...they are like dogs in heat.

satellitedriver

The new language on GPS can prove to be problematic, especialiy when you can't sheet up a bus stop between 12/1, and sometimes you can'y get back to that area, so some will sheet it where they are rather than riding back to the place just to sheet it as closed. They they can claim you're being dishonest, and whamo you're fired and waiting to go to panel, which can take upwards of 3 months. That's all I have time for, but will try to get more detailed later. ;)
Sheet as closed,
then use the GPS info to prove that there is no reasonable way to return before they close for the day. If that is true.
There is an old saying that is still valid.
"Hang them on their own petard."
If that is the way the company wants it done, do it.
That's the only way to prove the system wrong.
You cannot be fired for following the rules.
PAX

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I Dont Think Management Should Be A Member Of The Brown Cafe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+ Thay Pay $250.00 A Month For There Health Care But Remeber Thay Make A Lot More Than A Driver Makes + All The Stock Thay Get Each Year .
Then you are on the wrong site my friend, all are welcome here. And I for one like to hear both sides to every tale. Ive gotten much info and thoughts on situations from management as well as hourlies, as well as from people who were just married to one. There is an ignore button you can use to tune out any comments you dont want to read, or better yet, skip it and dont read it. Dont let you mind become clouded with other points of view. And as far as the wages, or what they pay, I could not care less. But I know I get OT when I work, and they are salary. Been there done that, Ill take pay for all hours worked. And I bet most years I make close to or more than a on road sup. And they have to put up with me, and there hasnt been a price put on that:)...yet!

govols019

You smell that?
Satellite is right. Just do it the way they want us too. They want to pay me to drive back to somewhere again...fine by me.

My problem with the GPS language is that it is open to abuse.

Like I said in another thread, I had 22 stops in a row one day that said I was in the wrong place when I wasn't. They want the ability to fire me solely based on GPS then it damn sure should be an infallible system. It's not.

What if you forget a stop and don't realize it until you're about 6-7 miles away? The right thing to do is go back and deliver it, right? A center manager with an axe to grind could accuse you of running up your miles.

satellitedriver

It's hilarious to me how many fellow Teamsters are bad at math. If you cannot figure out why split raises are a bad thing, there really is no hope for your offspring. This contract is a complete and total step backward, we will not gain any ground under this contract. Smaller raises, horrendous language on key issues, no stop to usps subcontracting and others, technology now becomes a valid form of harassment and discipline. UPS is giddy to get this thing inked, wait until you see their profit margins under this joke of a contract. All the suits in my area are out in full force trying to spread the "YES" vote like a disease. I mean just look at Tieguy and the rest of the scabs on this site...they are like dogs in heat.
Your just now learning teamsters are bad at math?
Just look at the CS math fiasco.
Small raises? We are lucky to even get one. Count your blessings.
Technology can be your best weapon against harrasment or discipline, if you learn how to wield it.
Your elected teamster management are also giddy to see the ink dry.
Ups's profit margins had better be high or it will not be able to pay for your teamsters benefits.
Tie can speak for his ownself.
As far as I know, I am the only avowed SCAB on this site.
Dogs in heat? Just look at all the new posters screaming no.
I tried to answer all you points, if I missed one my excuse is I worked 10 hrs today for the company that pays me.

Cole

We are instructed not to sheet any commercial pkgs up between 12/1, no exceptions! As a steward I have been in the office with that numerous times, and logic and integrity are not always employed when some mngrs want to mess with someone. It's weak language, and not in the best interest of the members that pay the union and can vote on the contract.

Why are we lucky to get a raise? Did the company not turn a profit off our work? Don't think for one minute they wont give themselves solid bonuses.

Griff

Small raises? We are lucky to even get one. Count your blessings.
Yeah, we are sooooooooooo lucky we get a raise. Jeez, I'm glad I don't work for a different fortune 500 company, all their employees work for the same exact salary for 5 years straight.

satellitedriver said:
Technology can be your best weapon against harrasment or discipline, if you learn how to wield it.
Technology is controlled by UPS, it's not an unbiased medium, it's tantamount to loaded dice.

satellitedriver said:
Your elected teamster management are also giddy to see the ink dry.
Yes, they need to be kicked out.

satellitedriver said:
Ups's profit margins had better be high or it will not be able to pay for your teamsters benefits.
Typical non-union rhetoric. We deserve our piece of the pie and we aren't getting it with this contract. We are going backward, meanwhile we push this company forward and upper management will now take larger slices.

satellitedriver said:
As far as I know, I am the only avowed SCAB on this site.
There are many, don't flatter yourself.

satellitedriver said:
Dogs in heat? Just look at all the new posters screaming no.
Ever wonder why? I assure you it's not for laughs. Most drivers in my building are screaming no as well. It's not just the internet...

satellitedriver said:
I tried to answer all you points, if I missed one my excuse is I worked 10 hrs today for the company that pays me.
Do you get paid the bargained for wages or does the board cut a personalized check to you?

satellitedriver

Yeah, we are sooooooooooo lucky we get a raise. Jeez, I'm glad I don't work for a different fortune 500 company, all their employees work for the same exact salary for 5 years straight.

Technology is controlled by UPS, it's not an unbiased medium, it's tantamount to loaded dice.

Yes, they need to be kicked out.

Typical non-union rhetoric. We deserve our piece of the pie and we aren't getting it with this contract. We are going backward, meanwhile we push this company forward and upper management will now take larger slices.

There are many, don't flatter yourself.

Ever wonder why? I assure you it's not for laughs. Most drivers in my building are screaming no as well. It's not just the internet...

Do you get paid the bargained for wages or does the board cut a personalized check to you?
You caught me,
I get a special bonus for listening to whiners.
You are lucky to sit at the table and see the pie being sliced up, by fedex, dhl and a host of other companies and catch some of the crumbs that fall to the floor.
The pie isn't getting bigger, but the slices taken out of it are getting thinner.
Nice job on breaking down the points in my post and answering point by point.
Technology is here to stay, learn to use it.
Flattered to be a scab? No
SCAB is a moniker that has no meaning to me.
Vote no and see what you get to complain about then.
My money is on the bet you will never be satisfied.

satellitedriver

We are instructed not to sheet any commercial pkgs up between 12/1, no exceptions! As a steward I have been in the office with that numerous times, and logic and integrity are not always employed when some mngrs want to mess with someone. It's weak language, and not in the best interest of the members that pay the union and can vote on the contract.

Why are we lucky to get a raise? Did the company not turn a profit off our work? Don't think for one minute they wont give themselves solid bonuses.
I guess I didn't make my point very well.
12pm to 1pm is a given closed business time for UPS.
Some business's close,some don't between 12 and one. Some( on my route) close between 11 and 12. Some will not except deliveries between 11 and 1:30pm.Contract language gives a latitude of several hours when a driver can take their lunch, but does not give the same for business's.
Sheeting a business as closed between 12 and 1 should force the issue to the center to make adjustments in the edd using the GPS data. One can show management how it is impractical/ uneconomical or just downright impossible to meet that standard using PAS/EDD as the absolute guide.
It's late, hope my thoughts make sense.
PAX

tieguy

Banned

Wish that were true. many of the drivers running sleepers now make more then their onroad sups and close to the same as a manager. With the new increases in sleeper rates they will make more then their managers.

why do you feel my prescence here threatens your comfort zone? Are you afraid to hear a dissenting opinion. If so then famalirize yourself with the entire brown cafe community. You'll find quite a few distinctly different perspectives here. Somehow we all manage to appreciate each others views and opinions even when we get a little heated.

Some of my greatest insight here comes from the many fine posters that hang here and post here. If I closed my mind to their opinions due to their position or outlook then I would limit my ability to understand and learn from them.

We have a contract to debate now. that conversation promises to be pretty lively. When its finally said and done then we move on to other issues. Over the years the insight I recieve here has been a gold mine.

Thats why I sometimes chastise some of the single issue posters that come here. I'm not interested in keeping a fence up between me and the "other side". I would prefer we keep the sense of community we have built here over the years. If my prescence here somehow inhibits your ability to speak freely and to learn from this community then shame on you for letting me stifle you.

If you can move past that issue then grab a cup of coffee , pull up your favorite easy chair and join in.

tieguy

Banned
Satellite is right. Just do it the way they want us too. They want to pay me to drive back to somewhere again...fine by me.

My problem with the GPS language is that it is open to abuse.

Like I said in another thread, I had 22 stops in a row one day that said I was in the wrong place when I wasn't. They want the ability to fire me solely based on GPS then it damn sure should be an infallible system. It's not.

What if you forget a stop and don't realize it until you're about 6-7 miles away? The right thing to do is go back and deliver it, right? A center manager with an axe to grind could accuse you of running up your miles.

Nothing like a little CYA. If you're delivering some stops and your diad board is telling you your in the wrong place then call the center and tell them what your're doing and what the diad board is telling you. The language is not designed to fire the person who communicates with us but the one who does things and never tells us. Its like I tell my feeder drivers. If you hit traffic and you know a way around it then I hope you'll go around it and try to make service on the load. Then tell us what you did when you get back just to cya.

trickpony1

Its like I tell my feeder drivers. If you hit traffic and you know a way around it then I hope you'll go around it and try to make service on the load. Then tell us what you did when you get back just to cya.

........and when one of "your" feeder drivers has an accident while he was off the feeder path trying to avoid the traffic, the question will be "....and what were you doing off the designated feeder path?".

sawdusttv

Then you are on the wrong site my friend, all are welcome here. And I for one like to hear both sides to every tale. Ive gotten much info and thoughts on situations from management as well as hourlies, as well as from people who were just married to one. There is an ignore button you can use to tune out any comments you dont want to read, or better yet, skip it and dont read it. Dont let you mind become clouded with other points of view. And as far as the wages, or what they pay, I could not care less. But I know I get OT when I work, and they are salary. Been there done that, Ill take pay for all hours worked. And I bet most years I make close to or more than a on road sup. And they have to put up with me, and there hasnt been a price put on that:)...yet!

Tieguy,

You might need to evaluate tooners over allowed, he is making way to much for pushing a wheelbarrow! LOL:lol:
Just kidding Tooner!! Get it while you can, RIGHT?

sawdusttv

I have to laugh!!!!
So, we should feel lucky to get a raise at all!!! WOW!!!
I just wonder. If this contract goes through by the end of the year, How big of a Christmas bonus will management get?
A very large one , I expect!
It must be a lot easier to work those bonuses into the budget than it is our little raise.
but then again they deserve it, we don't! :sad: